SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
muscat_gw

99% done- before and after pics, DIY kitchen

muscat
16 years ago

Well, maybe its more like 95% done, but the last bits will take a while, so I thought I'd post pictures now, as the general appearance of things is fairly complete.

I still need to....

-grout the backsplash and replace switches/outlets with grey ones,

-install two cabinet doors- I'm looking for tilt-up hinges

-trim the window to match the cabinets, install a few other trim pieces, and replace the door to the patio,

-finish the transitions between the new floor and the old carpet,

This kitchen was mostly DIY. I did the demolition of the cabinets/floors etc, and managed to give everything away, which amazed me. Then I had the soffit+wall demo, electrical work, plumbing, installation of a gasline and drywalling and new roof jack installed by a contractor. Later, he came back out and plumbed the sink and installed the gas/electric appliances. I was really lucky to find a contractor willing to do just the stuff I could not/didn't want to learn to do. My father built and installed the cabinets (I helped! :]) and I sanded and finished them. I painted, installed the flooring, UC lights and backsplash, and had the granite installed by someone I found on recommendation.

I learned a ton in this project, and while I saved a lot of money doing most of the work, it was a very long process. I started planning and designing In January '07, purchasing things all spring/summer, did demolition in October '07, and we've been piecing it together since then. We had about 3.5 months without a kitchen, but only about 3 weeks of that was sinkless.

Total spent, about $15K-

All new appliances: (fridge, range, toaster oven, hood) $4500

Granite counters-$2800

Sink/faucet/hot H2O/soap dispenser-$750

Flooring-$900

Backsplash tile/equipment- $450

Contractor ("parts and labor")- $7100

Cabinets (wood/slides/hinges/handles/oil finish/other supplies) $2500

I plan to find some significant way to thank my father for all his work, and I spent a few hundred here and there on new kitchen stuff, but this will end up being an "under $20K" kitchen

Before, including the soffits and hideous electric stovetop:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

And today!!!!!!!:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}