SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
politicaux_gw

Still struggling with HP vs furnace & SEER decisions

politicaux
15 years ago

Several of you (Tigerdunes especially) may recall that a few weeks ago I was looking for information to help me decide between several systems, all high SEER w/ gas furnaces. I'm 24 hours away from closing on my house now, which means about 25 hours away from trying to start the renovations (the house is still gutted since Katrina and needs all new mechanicals).

I'm set on using open-cell foam on the roof and exterior walls, so the new system will need to play nicely with foam.

1) I've asked every person I can get my hands on whether a heat pump or gas furnace is the way to go. So far, only one local contractor (the Am Std guy) recommended a heat pump. A dozen other have said it wouldn't produce the same temp air and would wind up costing me more because "they use natural gas in Louisiana to generate electricity, so it must be more expensive to use electricity." Energy rates in our area are:

Electricity:

$63.43 base charge

$0.048/kWh

Natural Gas

$30.29 base charge

$1.128/CCF (or $0.01128 per cubic foot)

Can anyone settle this for me?

2) Also still debating whether to go with 16 SEER or 20 SEER system. Obviously, we'll be running the A/C about 9 months a year down here. The cost difference is $500 on the Trane quote and $1000 on the Am Std quote (which seems odd, but ok). Is the extra efficiency just a waste of money?

3) Finally, how necessary is an ERV given the foam insulation? I'm quoted about $1200 extra cost for the ERV. If I go need the ERV, I'll most likely opt for the 16 SEER system to try to offset the cost.

Comments (8)