SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rich0372

furnace decisions part 2

11 years ago

Ok so I've made up my mind to replace my exsisting oil hot air furnace with a gas one hopefully NG but maybe propane anyway on with my questions.
I've had four HVAC contractors come to my house to give me quotes and they all look at things different. Only one did a true load test another did a quick one by measuring rooms but didn't measure windows or ask about insulation. the other two only measured the duckwork actually one didn't even do that. Two of them said I should add another return for more airflow, with no mention of a return with the other two, it really is frustrating to say the least.
So as for as sizing the HVAC guy that did the load test said I needed a 60k btu furnace The one that did a quick one said I needed a 70k and the other two said 80k.(My house is 1000sf with 550sf finished basement I'm also having my insulation upgraded to R49 attic R15 walls and R21 sill plate spray foam). Does 80k seem a little high?? one of the HVAC guys said 80k was good cause if I get a two stage it would run in the first stage most of the time and if I got a 60k it would always be in second stage. As far as AC all said 2.5 ton except for the guy that recommended the 60k furnace.

Btw I'm looking for a 95 percent eff furnace or higher, I've looked at trane, AS, Carrier and lennox all either two stage or modulating. I'm also getting an AC 15 seer or higher.
Is a two stage AC unit really worth it with the size of my house? I figure Im only really cooling the upstairs as the bsement is always cool anyway.
One other thing is a modulating furnace worth the 800 to a thousand bucks more for them over a two stage.

Comments (10)