SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
harrietv_gw

My home warranty AHS found a loophole

harrietv
16 years ago

My husband and I live in California and have kept active our home warranty contract with AHS since we purchased our home 16 years ago...Our Sears Brand forced heat gas furnace located in our attic has just died...It was very old , possibly circa 1980's, but always worked well until I started to hear sonic booms in my attic this week !!

Of course I shut off my thermostat and called my heating repairman...He said the fire box was rusted out and very dangerous, not to be used. I immediately called home warrany who sent out their contracted repairman and he said the very same thing...needs to be replaced. I was totally shocked when AHS called the next day and informed me that my claim was denied because there was a recall on this furnace in Sept 2000...therefore it was faulty construction, poor design ( nox rods made for California ) which caused overheating of the heat exchanger )

Were they justified ?? Do I have recourse?? Has anyone experienced something similar...how would you go about fighting this injustice??

I have scheduled an appointment with the Gas Company...they will hopefully be able to determine if my furnace has nox rods ( my repairman says he is 99% sure that he did not see them)..

I believe my furnace died of old age...normal wear and tear...but how can I prove it...Any suggestions??

Comments (4)