SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bsmith_gw

Importance of elevating Carrier Greenspeed higher off ground?

bsmith
10 years ago

I'm about to have installed a 4-ton Carrier Greenspeed with a 4-ton Carrier FE4ANB005R00 blower, Carrier Touch thermostat and air filtration for $12,400 or $11,000 after rebates in NYC. This installation includes sealing/replacing some of the existing ductwork and a new lineset. It seems like a very fair quote.

I believe the upgrade over my existing 80% efficient gas boiler and current 12 SEER AC will definitely bring significant cost savings, if Carrier's literature is honest.

However, even though the dealer is Carrier authorized, he only believes in single-stage compressors/air-handers not variable speed and feels the Greenspeed heatpump in the Northeast is a waste of money. Yet it takes time for everyone to fully accept new tech like Copeland's variable speed compressor. These systems are becoming the norm all over the world.

Just one question, how important is raising the outdoor heat pump off of the ground? My backyard gets a vortex effect where winter snow drifts can get 2-3x higher than average around where the unit sits close to a fence. I'm thinking of having him mount it at least 2 feet off the ground, either floor or wall.

Thanks for any answers.

This post was edited by bsmith on Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 11:25

Comments (14)