SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jimrac

Having new gas boiler installed

jimrac
12 years ago

HI all,

We are in process of replacing our 55 yo federal gas boiler now. We are located in CT and the existing system is vented through from what I recall, "pre-fab" structure.. other than the brick chimney). I have had some experience with other brands; Utica, Dunkirk were our first thoughts.

Met with my plumber/heating pro. and we talked about the brands etc. he liked the ones we first thought about, but I mentioned to him that basically we were looking for reliability, cast iron, easy to fix, parts availability and not many bells and whistles. So he then recommended Weil McClain ( which we have no problem with)and also scrap the hot water tank and go indirect water and scrap my existing set up which contain circulating pumps and go with certain valves. We are curious about a few things:

1. Is Wm better choice?

2. For sizing, I forget the amount of BTU's our existing boiler is; he asked me about the square footage of the home which is 3300 which I assume would be used to judge the size of boiler, but isnt the size or BTU's of the existing boiler a bit more accurate?

3. Curious now, all the existing water with all the piping throughout the home, would all this be flushed out and replaced with new water? I am curious about old sediment and other issues remaining in the pipes, maybe this is nothing to worry about.

Thank you very much for your time and knowledge,

Jim

Comments (8)