SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

Are You A Salt Lover?

John Liu
14 years ago

We're meant to eat salt. Biologically, we need it. We evolved to find it and eat it. Our tongues are designed to identify it. Our brains are wired to like it.

How much salt we like, is to some degree personal. Today many foods are overloaded with salt. All too much salt is simply a cheap flavorant and preservative used by the ton in industrial food factories. Yuck.

I wanted to talk about the kind of salt we love. The good kind of salt, applied by hand, in just the right amount and places.

We have a salt, wine, and chocolate store not too far away. They have 50 or more kinds of salt, from big blocks of pink salt (use as cutting board or roasting plank), volcanic black salt, colorful herbal salt, delicate flowers of salt. I like shopping there.

At home, we have a few kinds of salt. Kosher, for general cooking use. French fleur de sel from the Carmague, for plating. Chunk salt for the salt mill on the table. Pink Hawaiian salt and green rosemary salt, just for fun. Grey sea salt, clumpy and mineral. And what I've called my secret weapon, truffle salt. Sometimes we'll do a salt tasting, lubricated with plenty of red wine.

Does anyone here love salt? Do you have a favorite kind or brand of salt?

Comments (30)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21