SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
asilverman_gw

upgrading 'frankenstein' oli heat/AC system

asilverman
16 years ago

Firstly I'm a total newbie and don't even know where to start, so please be gentle. We have an 80-year-old 2900 sq ft brick house in New England with a "unique" heating cooling system. we have oil heat: original cast iron unit with a "new" 40- to 50-yr old burner, the oil storage tank was brought in about 25 yrs ago and this provides hot water and some steam to 6 working radiators. We also have a 20-year old forced air system that provides heat and AC to about 80% of the house. I have to slide in or remove a plate at change of seasons to allow correct air flow through the system depending on weather or not we're using heat or AC. Both outflow and returns are floor level throughout the house. Some parts of the house are only supplied with radiator heat (no forced air for heat or AC). The AC is barely able to cool the second floor of the house. I've been able to get reasonable results by covering first floor vents in the summer with magnetic covers to force the cool air upstairs. The oil burner requires about 2-3 repairs a year, and each time we're told this could be the last time before it needs replacing.

So, for both reliability and efficiency reasons we want to start over. And we have no idea where to start. To make things even more complicated, we'd like to renovate the bathrooms in the next few years too and all bathrooms in the house have radiators built in to the tile walls and no other heat/cooling or ventilation. We also have gas service from the street to the house but it is not connected.

Ideally, in as "Green" a way as possible, we'd like to convert from oil to gas, have a tankless water heater system, remove the oil system completely including old radiators (including bathrooms), replace the forced hot air and AC system completely, and provide better ducting to the entire house for both forced air and AC (aside from the bathrooms (installing combo light/vent/heat ceiling units and/or floor heating system).

We're not made of money and we love our house and neighborhood and aren't planning on moving for 20+ years.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much.

Adam

Comment (1)