SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kararobin

Cooling the attic?

kararobin
14 years ago

Hi.

I recently purchased a 1925 home in Southwest Virginia. It's approx 2100 square feet on the two main floors. The heating (radiators) and cooling (heat pump) seem to work fine on these floors. The basement is semi-finished but seems to stay warm enough in the cold and not too hot so far. The attic, however, is another issue.

Someone started finishing the walk-up attic in this house - there is an extra bathroom (tub only, no shower) up there. It's quite charming with sloped ceilings and a huge deep old-fashioned tub. My kids love bathing up there as do I. Since it turned warm, however, the room is too muggy for evening baths. There are two other spaces framed out, and some closed-off storage (where the heat pump air handler is) and some open storage as well (you can see the insulation, rafters, etc). I was hoping to use one of those rooms for a jewelry studio. But I am dismayed to find this space with some really cool potential is basically going to be unusable half the year.

This is new territory for me, so please make suggestions as well as weighing in on the options I am pondering.

1. Put a window unit in the bathroom. Not super desirable but would consider. Also would consider a "portable" ac unit.

2. Finish out the walls and flooring of the attic space, and either try to increase the ducts to this space (really don't think this will cut it and may put too much strain on the system) or put in one of these mini-split ductless systems I have been reading about.

I am definitely open to other ideas. Should I call a HVAC guy out to assess the situation and give recommendations? I am having a contractor friend come look at it to give me suggestions but he will be the first to say he's not an HVAC person.

I want to try to achieve comfortable temps without spending the world on this as I am a single mom with two young children. On the other hand, I don't want to do a "quick fix" that I am then going to throw more money at down the road.

Thanks for your help!!!

Kara

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert