SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
david_cary_gw

Any way to manage peak rates for dual fuel Infinity?

david_cary
11 years ago

So I am changing to a peak electric rate system - details are somewhat complicated. The off peak rate is 5 cents, the on peak is only 7 but there is a demand charge for highest kW used during the month during peak. This demand charge will be the majority of my bill. Raleigh, NC. 2012 was $1200 electric, $150 NG total for the year. 2013 will be closer to $250 for NG since I upped the changeover temp and it was a cold winter.

The financial motive is use the heat pump during off peak down to 30 and the NG on peak ($.95 a therm). Peak is 6am -10 am and 1p-9p. The other motive would be to heat the house a little hotter from 10a-1p since electric is so cheap and the ambient temp is usually reasonable.

I currently use 45 degrees as my changeover.

The Infinity system is 2009 vintage.

Does anyone have a way to automatically do what I want? And if not - why haven't the HVAC companies come up with a way to deal with these peak rates?

As an aside, I would also like to tap into the utility saver modes for a/c but there is a lot of conflicting info out there. It seems to be based on software version and how things are set up. I would love to shut off the a/c when the dryer was on for instance. I switch next month and I will get a demand report - so it will be easier to figure out how to cut it once I can see what is going on.

Comments (8)