SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
david_cary_gw

Carrier Infinity Compressor life expectancy?

david_cary
9 years ago

I built a house 5 years ago (and a few months) and had 2 Carrier Infinity Seer 16 HPs installed (25HNA). This week the compressor failed on the downstairs unit.

I certainly had the expectation of a 10 year warranty on parts but found out that I only have 5 because the unit was not registered.

Live in relatively mild central NC climate and have dual fuel with NG. I used 35 degrees as the changeover for outside temp until last year. I went to a TOU rate plan with 5 cents a kwh at night/weekends so I lowered the temp to 25.

The run times on the compressor with just at 4000 hours both in heating and cooling (shockingly close) and about 80% of both were low stage.

So now I've got a roughly $2400 repair bill on a unit 3 months out of warranty but it would have been still expensive even under warranty since labor and refrigerant are not covered.

My question is this - is 8000 hours a reasonable MTBF or am I unlucky? Is a heat pump ever reasonable with cheap NG because the 4000 hours at heating is costing me $1200 over 5 years and that is within spitting distance of what I have saved in NG I suspect? Also makes me wonder if the seer 16 savings wasn't worth it either - annual a/c bill is about $400 so I'm probably only saving $50 a year on each unit vs seer 13. If the seer 13 compressor lasted an extra year (or was a little cheaper), that would easily have paid for the electricity.

I do realize compressors fail for lots of reasons and total hours on the clock is not the only one.

Overall very disappointed in Carrier. And yes, I've called and emailed them and they were of no assistance in warranty issues.

Comments (35)