SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

Chicago with friends-long, with pictures

annie1992
11 years ago

Of course you'd probably already figured it out, but I was one of the people who met Linda (doucanoe) in Chicago where she was visiting family. I'd really hoped to see Peppi again, I miss her, but she had other obligations and could not get free.

So, I packed lightly, knowing I'd only be there one afternoon and evening, and set off for the Amtrak Station in Kalamazoo, where I met Sherry (sheshebop). She'd packed neary as lightly as I did, so I weighed her down a little with this:

No, that is NOT a sample for a medical facility, sheesh. OK, I'll give you a hint.

All right, that was more than a hint, it's the limoncello made with Beachlily's Meyer lemons, and I used Linda's recipe. Fortunately Sherry's husband was there to take it home, or it would have ended up on the train with us and might have never made it back home to Michigan, LOL.

The train got us to Chicago in a couple of hours and we managed to find the Metra which whisked us off to Oak Park. Chicago's "El" is really good at moving people quickly, easily and cheaply.

Second stop was Oak Park, where we met Linda and her granddaughter, Julia. It was cool and drizzling, but the three Grandmas and a baby in a stroller set off down the cobblestone streets of a charming little suburb, home to Frank Lloyd Wright.

Our first stop was the Madison Street Cheese shop. They have a café so we wanted just a little bite to eat, not too much as we had much food related exploring to do, LOL. We got a grilled cheese sandwich (hey, I SAID it was a cheese shop!) and something they called Beet Carpaccio. I don't even like salads and I liked it, thinly sliced raw golden beets, arugula, candied walnuts, dressed with a sweet/tart vinaigrette. We split them three ways and Julia ate some of the cheese and the organic carrots Linda had along in her bag.

There were three display cases of cheese and people who dined "in" got 10% off cheese purchases, so I got Elery a quarter pound of three kinds. He's been losing weight so it seemed unfair and unwise to buy larger amounts. A quarter pound each:

Having no cooler and knowing I'd have to take it back on the train the next day, I lusted after but passed on:

I did buy one dark chocolate habanero truffle, but I haven't tasted it yet, I'm getting up my nerve, although I really bought it for Elery.

We soldiered on, in search of an item that I'd heard of but never tasted, the elusive macaron. A bakery in Oak Park was voted the "Best Macaron in Chicago" and I was going to find it!

And so I did, and I bought a dozen of them, lovely little morsels in strawberry, pistachio, lemon, vanilla and chocolate:

Yes, they even have "feet", the bottom puffy layer, which I'm told is very important.

We each bought a dulce de leche square. I finally ate mine today and enjoyed it a lot, chewy caramel, a tender shortbread layer, dark chocolate. I'd have enjoyed it more if they had not salted the caramel, but I know that's very fashionable.

Sherry got a vanilla cupcake and we continued on, stopped at some little shops, a bread bakery, Trader Joe's, Penzey's. Ah, what a lovely afternoon.

Back at the motel, Linda had a small dulce de leche snack:

We each had a macaroon. Linda had vanilla (I think), Sherry had lemon and I had chocolate, which I shared with Julia. She enjoyed it greatly and so did I, and Sherry said the lemon was amazing, if she'd have known they were so good she'd have bought a dozen lemon ones. Good thing we didn't know, I suppose.

We took Julia home and chatted with Linda's daughter for a while, Linda and Sherry had a glass of wine or two. (grin) Linda's son in law was at a meeting of a non-profit organization started to restore the lovely Chicago bungalows like these:

Whole neighborhoods of those wonderful old brick bungalows with hardwood floors and stained glass windows. Many have been gutted and decorated in "IKEA modern" or worse, and so it is the goal of the organization to save and restore these unique old homes.

We set off to find supper, looking for a Greek restaurant called Papa Spiro's. We never found it, LOL, and ended up settling for Lake Street Grille.

I had an amazing bowl of carrot soup, swirled with crème fraiche and spiked with ginger, very yummy, and a beef and cheddar Panini which was so-so. It came with some Asian slaw which was too heavy with sesame but fresh and crunchy:

Sherry had the best dish of the night, a pan roasted salmon on whole wheat tabbouleh:

Linda had chicken in a cream sauce with a side of spinach. She said the chicken was overcooked and so I don't feel badly about the lousy picture!

It was past 10 pm when we finally went our separate ways, I was sad to see Linda go, we don't get to see each other that often. Sherry and I walked back to the hotel, knowing our alarm would be sounding at 5:15 am. It didn't let us down, and a taxi was waiting at 6 am, our train pulled out of Chicago at 7:20 am and we were on our way back to the real world, but at least we were returning with Trader Joe's Triple Ginger Gingersnaps, Penzey's spices, cheese and macarons, so we returned victorious.

In Kalamazoo Sherry and I went our separate ways, she and Roger headed south and Elery and I headed north, but I reminded myself again that we really need to do this more often.

Annie

Comments (30)

• User
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

What a great right up !! We have a friend in Chicago and had a wonderful time visiting him for a week a couple years ago. His whole neighborhood is nothing but restored bungalows. They do look like they have been done appropriately at least from what I could peek at through the windows :) I kept tripping on the sidewalk when I peeked more than I looked where I was walking.

Thank you for the great report and the pics. What fun you had . c

• pkramer60
    11 years ago

It sounds like you had a great time and I am sorry I couldn't be there. Now where is the picture of Miss Julia????

Trailrunner, you can easily trip on the old Chicago sidewalks without gawking at anything....that's how Dad broke his knee cap last spring.

The bungelows are a Chicago icon. They look small from the outside but the inside has tons of room. Most sit on lots that are 50' x 75' with the required 3' gangway between the homes. Yes, you can pass a cup of sugar to the neighbors.
    And the concrete butress you see under the windows are for flower boxes.

Maybe next time I can join you.

• Related Discussions

Chicago Palm Progress with Pictures

Q

Comments (24)
    Ron- First I want to compliment you on the palms. I still can't get over that foxtail. We exchanged some e-mails last spring when I first started groing an indoor/outdoor coconut. Unfortunenatly I do not have the high ceilings you do. Mine are only 8 feet. I need your advise. I have two options for my coconut (link for picture attached) this winter. It is about 6 feet tall now and growing fast in all this heat and humididty we have had. We have a sun roof here in my ofice that is about 15 feet high. The plant could get plenty of sun all winter but I would sacrifice heat (we turn it down to mid 60s at night and over holiday stretches such as Christmas). My other option is to put the pot it is in in an empty larger pot with rocks or sand and turn it at an angle toward the window, lowering the height and giving the plant more coverage of sun. In this case I would not sacrifice heat as I keep my house at 70 all winter. I have a spare bedroom that can get into the mid 70s when the sun is out. I would really apprecite your advice as you have had the most success of anyone I've come across. (ps that fence is being replaced in the fall) thanx, Andy Here is a link that might be useful:
    ...See More

Lavendar Lassie and friends (very long)

Q

Comments (6)
    Lavendar Lassie is a great rose,and gets very huge,too.Mine is growing in a heavy clay soil,altho,I did add some other things in the hole when I planted it about 5 or 6 years ago.The deer kept mine ate to pieces until this year when I found some thing to put out that stops them from eating up all my plants.Now I have tiny caterpillars eating up the leaves on the roses.That pink sure is pretty along with that Blue.Very nice photos.Thanks for sharing them. Jean
    ...See More

A visit to Chicago and a forum friend

Q

Comments (11)
    Annie, it was great seeing you again. One note: the peppers are marinaded and work really well in one of our favorite chicken dishes, a Giambota. Just brown some bird, place in a roasting pan, dump the pepper and some onions, mushrooms, and quartered potaotes. SPrinkle Italian herbs and garlic and douse with balsamic vinegar. Bake until the chicken is done, about 45 minutes and serve. Give Elery a hug from me, and next time lets make it a longer visit.
    ...See More

My friend's backyard...4 pictures

Q

Comments (7)
    So very pretty. I love it. I can tell there is a lot of time spent in there keeping it up.
    ...See More
  • annie1992
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Trailrunner, there are some wonderful old houses there, I could walk up and down the street and just look at houses. I suppose I'm not alone, that's probably why Chicago has all those architectural tours. I can walk all day, I'll bet we could see a LOT of houses, and I know if you were gawking maybe I could keep up with you!

Peppi, we all agreed that we miss you, we just don't get together or talk as much as we should and we are not that far apart.

I'm sorry about your Dad, I didn't know he had fallen. I hope he's completely recovered and back to his charming self. He has been so active and ready to go, I'd hate to think he couldn't.

Oak Park was lovely, clean and everything was easily accessible on foot. There are a lot of other suburbs that I'd love to explore, so you know I'll be back. That $30 train ride is just too easy, LOL.

Annie

• User
    11 years ago

Our friend lives in Ravenswood. We loved the area and also loved taking the "EL". It was so easy to get around . We had our bikes too..it was the last week of June , and we rode everywhere. He is exactly 2 miles from the lakefront so we had great pedaling along there. Everything was perfect. My only complaint was his eating habits didn't allow us to get out and really enjoy the food as much as we would have liked. :( He has "peculiarities" and we had to go along with them..oh well he was our host. On another trip we will stay in a hotel or something and get out to the great restaurants and cafes.

Oh and I LOVED the little pocket gardens that everyone had in their front yards and along the sides and along the street..everywhere there was some dirt they had it planted up with something charming. Also the window boxes were lovely. Oh well...I will just have to go back ! c

• Lars
    11 years ago

I was shocked that you could not find the Greek restaurant, but then I read that it had closed! I hate it when that happens.

Those bungalows look plenty large to me, by L.A. standards, since they have a basement and a third floor! No basements here - I've only seen one basement in my life, and that was in Vancouver. The brick work is very interesting, and I like the window box detail. I'm a bit surprised that they do not have driveways, however. I really do have to make it to Chicago and the Midwest some time soon, and I do plan to start traveling more again in the next couple of years.

Thanks for the pics!!

Lars

• annie1992
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lars, if you come this way I think there are a lot of us who would LOVE to give you a guided tour, I know I would! Chicago has some very interesting architecture, lovely old buildings, sculptures and statues everywhere, ornate fountains, wonderful stuff. They're also very good at moving people and you can get a map of nearly everywhere/everything you might want to see.

I think you'd also like Saugatuck and Petosky, they are both small lakeshore communities, Saugatuck is very "artsy" with a lot of galleries and displays, it's an "artist's community". Just don't come in the winter, you'd freeze. Chicago isn't called the "Windy City" for no reason and Michigan along the lakeshore is the same.

Trailrunner, that's one of the things I love about Chicago, you can find nearly any food. Just in about three blocks there was a Venezulean Aripas place, the Greek place is now a sushi place, there was Italian and American and Mexican, plus all the chains (which I normally avoid). Just in two meals I managed to have the beet carpaccio, the carrot soup AND find the macarons.

We'd have had a larger selection of venues for supper if we had shut up and gone to dinner, instead of sitting at Erin's and yapping!

Peppi, I have a picture of Julia, she's a beautiful child, but I don't want to post it without Linda's permission. If she tells me to go ahead, I will.

Annie

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    11 years ago

I have been to Chicago a 1,000 times.

But I have visited only three places; Airport, hotels and Wacker Drive. :-(. And mostly in winter time. :-(

Another great CF meeting. Thanks for sharing.

dcarch

• dedtired
    11 years ago

Sounds (and looks) like a good time was by all. Those bungalows are too cute and it is reassuring to now someone is trying to save them. I am a sucker for charming houses and love house tours and architectural walks. I also love to eat, especially macarons. I may have to get in the car and go find one right now. And salty caramel.

You area sounds so charming, Annie. Party at Annie's! Woo hoo!

• annie1992
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Absolutely, we could all get on a train from my house and be in Chicago in 4 hours. My girls and I used to get on the Amtrak in Grand Rapids at 7:30 am, be in Chicago on time for lunch, shop all afternoon or go to the museums, a show or the aquarium, be on the train at 5:30 and home before midnight!

We could have a moving party, start at my house, move to Sherry's, then Peppi's. Or we could start North in Charlevois and just go south, down the coast and around the Lakeshore, eating, drinking and gossiping. Does anyone have a bus? (grin)

dcarch, Chicago is much like I imagine New York City to be, sprawling across the state, spreading from the Lakeshore, with each community or area having its own flavor and food and community, all diverse and all wonderful. You really need to see more of Chicago, what you've seen is not representative of the community at all.

Annie

This post was edited by annie1992 on Sat, Apr 13, 13 at 12:52

• maggie2094
    11 years ago

What a jam packed visit...love it. Chicago is a great town. Beautiful macaroons. I was charmed by all the macaroon shops in DC when we were there.

Meyer limencello yum!

• lakemayor
    11 years ago

I'm so glad you had a wonderful time. I love Chicago. Just don't visit enough.

You really seemed to pack in a lot in a short period of time. The Meyer limencello sounds wonderful. Need to make that some time.

Can't say I have ever had a macaroon but they look really yummy.

Karen

• compumom
    11 years ago

It sound like a perfect day! Mmm that salted carmel looks heavenly and i love macarons! Actually, I would have enjoyed it all!

When David & I were in Chicago together we loved the architecture and took advantage of the "Architecture tour" down the river. I loved seeing the variety and innovative structures, as well as historic details. Hooray for Linda's son-in-law for working to restore original structures!

I hope to join you all one day for a fun outing in the Windy City!

• loves2cook4six
    11 years ago

Sounds like fun. Maybe I can join you next time. Maybe I'll drive to Oak Park with my mom and explore. Would love some macarons. I bought ONE in Paris. It was THREE Euros. It was good but at that price it better have been

• mustangs81
    11 years ago

What a great foodie report; thank you for sharing. I agree, jammed back agenda. Too bad Peppi couldn't join you.

Brings back memories of a not-too-long-ago get together in Chitown including the limoncello. There's nothing you could want for that Chicago doesn't offer--from restaurants and ethnic grocery stores to architecture and water views.

Like DC, worked there 1,000 times but rarely saw anything but O'Hare Airport, hotels, and Wacker Drive. Oh, there was that one time I went to my first IKEA.

• melissaki5
    11 years ago

I am so glad you guys had a good time in Chicago. I actually grew up one town over from Oak Park and spent many days in their downtown area. I will definitely be taking a drive over there soon to get some of those macaroons they look fabulous.

• KatieC
    11 years ago

Fun! I know the company was good.

• Rusty
    11 years ago

What a fun time you all had!
    Thanks for sharing, Annie.

My BIL has a bungalow just like those you pictured.
    Different part of Chi-town, though.
    No drive ways there, either.
    No room for one.
    The garage is in the back,
    And accessed from the alley.

The last time we were there,
    we stayed in a hotel In Oak Park.
    There was no time for investigating
    All the wonderful sounding places you all found.
    Now I want to go back!

Rusty

• mitchdesj
    11 years ago

Such a fun time was had, you really have a knack for those trip reports Annie, we feel like we were there !!

• sally2_gw
    11 years ago

What a wonderful sounding trip. I'm so happy y'all got to get together. Thanks for sharing.

Sally

• User
    11 years ago

Sounds like a wonderful day with good friends.

~Ann

• doucanoe
    11 years ago

I am finally back home in snowy, cold Minnesota! LOL
    My daughter and I were going to drive back today, but decided to leave yesterday instead.

Thanks for taking the time to type out that lovely report, Annie. It was a really nice visit in spite of the rain! I finished my dulce de leche bar when I got back to the kids' house! So much fo the diet! LOL

I agree, we do have to arrange these get-togethers more often.

I didn't realize you took a pic of Juju. I think it would be allright to share it here. Thanks for asking.

Linda

• ruthanna_gw
    11 years ago

Sounds and looks like a wonderful day for all of you. Thanks for sharing it with us, Annie.

I am craving a macaron right now. The latest issue of Tea Time magazine had a recipe for strawberries & cream ones that I might have to take a second look at.

My only visits to Chicago were for business so as others have said, McCormick Place, downtown Chicago and the airport were the extent of my explorations.

• artsyshell
    11 years ago

Sounds like it was a very fun trip, even if it is was short.
    I have only been to Chicago once, but loved it.
    Unfortunately I wasn't a foodie back then, so missed out on some great 'foodie' opportunities.

• annie1992
    Original Author
    11 years ago

LInda, I'm glad you made it back safely, and please thank your beautiful daughter for letting us come to visit and borrow her baby!

OK, the picture of Julia. Isn't she gorgeous?

That baby is a foodie in the making, I swear. She spent about three hours in the stroller going into and out of cheese shops, bakeries, craft stores, taking everything in and ready for a bite of anything. I never heard her fuss a single time, she was awake and charming the clerks where ever we went. What a sweetheart.

I'm surprised how many of us have been to Chicago...

Annie

• vacuumfreak
    11 years ago

Annie, I'm glad you had such a great get together... I thought those macaroons were some kind of gourmet sausage biscuit before I read the description! The soup looks and sound amazing!

• Solsthumper
    11 years ago

I haven't been to the windy city in almost 3 years. Too long.
    And every time I go, I plan to stop by Rick Bayless' Frontera Grill and never do.

However, next time, I hope to look up the restaurant and the Dulce de Leche bars - like the one in Linda's laconic photo.

But, if desserts were to fail, that sweet, dark-haired beauty, Julia, would surely put me in a diabetic coma.

Nice get-together, and delicious photos.

Sol

• tami_ohio
    11 years ago

Looks like you all had a great time! And Julia is beautiful. My only visit to Chicago was in Feb 2007, and was supposed to be only a stopover on Amtrak. As we were delayed several times between Cleveland and Chicago, we missed our connection. Amtrak was great about making arrangements and vouchers for lodging and food, and taxis for us. We walked to the restaruant (don't ask which one cause I can't remember!) in below zero wind chills, and had the taxi driver take us on a short tour the next morning. During our wait for the train on the way home, we did take a couple of buses and took in some sights that way.

Annie, I have the "bus" if we can get M to drive it, and we can afford the gas for it! Remember? LOL He does know the route from Charlavois to Luddington at least!

Tami

• pkramer60
    11 years ago

OMG, Miss Juju is so cute! And far better looking than cookies, soup and fish. I see Linda in her for sure.

• annie1992
    Original Author
    11 years ago

bobby, now you say that it does look kind of like an itty bitty sausage biscuit!

Tami, we could do a bus tour, he just has to get us to one of the suburbs and we could take the train/bus into downtown, but first he has to drive all over Michigan and pick everyone up. Maybe he could charge bus fare and pay for the gas. Yeah.....that could work!

Sol, you can come along, any time. I'd love, love, love to meet with you, just think of the he11 we could raise.....um....fun we could have. (heh heh)

Peppi, she's adorable, isn't she? And so happy, she was just having a good time, hanging with all three of the Grandmas and eating good stuff. I also see Linda in her, but I see Linda in Erin too, so it's a third generation of Linda. That could be a bit scary, LOL.

It really was a nice time, although too short. How can we be retired and still be so darned busy? I thought retirement was supposed to be slower and more relaxing somehow.

Annie

• doucanoe
    11 years ago

Annie, that really is a cute picture of little Juju! Yes, she was very content hanging out with the grandmas in and out of all the foodie shops!

The only thing that could have made our day better would have been some sunshine. But I'll take the rain over all of this blasted snow any day!

Linda