SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nicole_ont

Posting from the (nice and warm) Holiday Inn

nicole_ont
14 years ago

We're on day 4 with no heat at our house. The furnace is broken. It's been persnickity since LAST winter - shutting off out of the blue and then coming back on when it felt like it, but now it's just dead. We will not pay hundreds of dollars to get it done ourselves, because it's our landlord's responsibilty.

We've made do until now - staying bundled in several layers of clothing, sleeping on top of feather beds and under feather duvets and wool blankets.

Our landlords have never been very responsive when we've needed repairs, but this is ridiculous. I've been calling and emailing them constantly. I called around for info. and found several companies that could send someone immediately to fix the furnace. I told the landlord that, but they said that they have to go with "their guys". They've been saying that they're on it - waiting for someone to get back to them with an appointment. We cancelled our day plans on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday to wait around for someone who was supposed to be coming, but never showed. Someone finally came last night around 6:30, checked the furnace, and found that he needs to get a part. He's (supposedly) coming by this afternoon with the part to get it fixed.

Well, yesterday was the coldest day of the 3. Oliver (1 yr.) was playing on the floor yesterday evening, bundled in 3 layers of clothing (including tights! LOL) and his little teeth started to chatter. That's when I sent the kids to pack up their bags so we could go to a hotel. They were thrilled to be going on an adventure. :)

I wrote a very frustrated (but polite) email to our contact person and left a phone message, recapping the situation and telling her that we were heading out to a hotel and would submit the receipt with our rent payment, deducting the amount from our rent. I know that that's not exactly legal :), so I'm hoping to get her approval.

We rent a big beautiful old house in the middle of a wonderful neighbourhood close to the lake. We LOVE the house and the location, but certainly not the landlords.

They don't generally rent. They are a huge company that buys property and builds it up. The owner is a big-shot in Toronto. "Our" house will eventually be demolished, and a highrise building and luxury condos will be built on the property. They deal with much bigger projects and don't want to bother with us little folk. I don't exactly understand why they decided to rent it out in the meantime if they weren't willing to play the part of landlord. It's not like they need the money.

Anyhow, that's where we are now. I'll post an update later.

Comments (18)