SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ae2ga_gw

HVAC for renovation

ae2ga
13 years ago

I am planning a home renovation (approx 1600 sq ft) in a cooling climate. My plan is to have new insulation (closed cell spray foam or foam to seal with added batts) and new windows. I also plan to have the crawl and attic spaces insulated too as recommended on the Building Sciences site. Windows and insulation are the first part of the renovation with the idea being to have the home well insulated and well sealed for the climate.

Currently, there is an old floor heater, window unit air conditioners, a gas fire place, and ceiling fans. In the recent issue of Fine Home Building, there is an article about HVAC for smaller houses, so I've been reading about the Fujitsu systems which are very energy efficient, both heat and cool, and have an air filter. It seems to me that assuming the house is well sealed, a mini split system with heat strips supplemented by upgrading the gas fire place would heat and cool just fine without the need for a ducted system.

However - with the house well-sealed, would one of these systems work for supplying and filtering air, cooling, and heating, or would I need an additional or different system to meet the air needs of the house. I know I also need to consider the humidity of the climate as well - an ERV?

Since this house doesn't have any ducts right now, I think it would be less expensive to have a system that doesn't require adding ducts, but I'm not sure how that would work. I understand that I need to have the proper calculations to get the correctly sized system.

I need some direction to focus my research. Any advice for improving my HVAC would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (7)