SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jel48

We said goodbye to Ginger on Friday

jel48
10 years ago

We said goodbye to our little Ginger on Friday morning. She continued to feel worse, and another vet visit and lab tests indicated her kidneys and liver were failing. We tried one more thing to see if these problems could be reversed, without success, and two days later it was clear that Ginger was ready to go and we, not wanting to see her suffer, were as ready as we could ever be to let her go.

I talked with her, and told her it was ok to go, then took her down to say goodbye to her puppy sisters and for them to say goodbye to her. Then Gary and I together took her to the vet's office. The assistant and vet were both very kind and gentle, petting her and talking with her, and we could feel that they shared our heartbreak. We were with her, talking to her, stroking her, and cuddling her every step of the way. She left us very gently and peacefully. But, oh, how our hearts break.

We are having a hard time... We'll be ok after a while. Even though we have three other girls, the house seems empty. Our walks just don't seem right. The other puppies seem somewhat bewildered and cling to us a little more than usual.

I don't know if dogs go to heaven. People have all sorts of opinions. I've heard about the Rainbow Bridge. I just have a hard time thinking that maybe they are just gone, like turning off a light. That idea breaks my heart even more. I hope that dogs do go to heaven, and I know I will find out for sure one day. I know that if they do, and if little angels act like little boys, then Ginger is being tackled and having her ears and tail pulled right now and she and Maison are rolling in the grass and flowers and all is bright and beautiful in their world.

Lend me A Pup

I will lend to you for awhile
a puppy, God said,
For you to love him while he lives
and to mourn for him when he is gone.
Maybe for twelve or fourteen years,
or maybe for two or three
But will you, till I call him back
take care of him for me?

He'll bring his charms to gladden you
and (should his stay be brief)
you'll always have his memories
as solace for your grief.
I cannot promise that he will stay,
since all from earth return,
But there are lessons taught below
I want this pup to learn.

I've looked the whole world over
in search of teachers true
And from the folk that crowd life's land
I have chosen you.
Now will you give him all your love
Nor think the labour vain
Nor hate me when I come to take my pup back again.

I fancied that I heard them say
"Dear Lord Thy Will Be Done,"
For all the joys this pup will bring,
the risk of grief you'll run.
Will you shelter him with tenderness
Will you love him while you may
And for the happiness you'll know forever grateful stay.

But should I call him back
much sooner than you've planned
Please brave the bitter grief that comes
and try to understand.
If, by your love, you've managed
my wishes to achieve,
In memory of him that you've loved,
cherish every moment with your faithful bundle,
and know he loved you too.

Author - Unknown

Ginger Sue's obituary - everyone deserves one.

Ginger was 9 1/2 years old, already a senior, when she came to us, after her first mama had to go into a nursing home. She was a laid back kind of girl, and got along extremely well with all three of her sister puppies. At our house, Lexie and Tessa are the two who bicker, having arguments daily, and actual physical disputes every few weeks. Ginger and Sophie just like to get along. They have been our peace makers, flower children so to speak.. (Peace, Love, and Rock and Roll).

But, a couple of stories of Ginger's 'other side'. Once, maybe 4 years ago, Lexie and Tessa had a dispute, coming to doggie blows over something (probably so silly as Lexie lying in a bed Tessa wanted). Whatever the reason they jumped on each other right there in the middle of our kitchen. Ginger must have been feeling frisky, 'cause she took one look at the ruckus and jumped right on TOP of the pile! LOL! What a laugh we got out of that. It was like that fight just looked like TOO much fun and she had to have a piece of the ACTION!! Silly girl! That's the only time I ever saw her get physical with our other puppies!

Not necessarily so with strangers though. We laughed practically until our sides ached, the day my brother-in-law John, and his girlfriend Marilyn, stopped by our camp with a Saint Bernard! Ginger decided that big horse of a dog was infringing on HER territory! Did you ever see a 14 pound dog with a mouth that wouldn't open further than to an inch wide trying to take a piece out of a Saint Bernard's ankle! Her mouth couldn't even go around that leg and the Saint Bernard kind of shook her off like a mosquito! But that didn't stop Ginger from trying.... over and over and over again!

Ginger liked her quiet times, and as a Senior Gal, she pretty much did things her own way. She spent many hours in her soft comfy bed at home, but would come to us when she had the urge to be petted or cuddled. We'd lift her up on the couch and she would stay as long as SHE wanted, then down she would go and back to her bed. If she needed to go outside other than for the three daily walks that we always do, she would get up, go over by the door, and give a single bark. If no one paid any attention she'd wait about a minute, then say 'the heck with this' and pee on the floor! She was old, and with old you expect certain consideration and priviledges, and she certainly expected hers! And if the water bowl should, heaven forbid, get empty, she would go stand by it and let out a single bark. If you weren't there instantly, she'd wait a minute, then another bark, and so on. But not for long. Ginger ALWAYS made sure she got the attention and consideration that her age entitled her to!

And our Ginger was a smart little girl. She had been deaf for the past couple of years. Well, either that, or she had VERY selective hearing. But I'm thinking deaf, because she was so good with the hand signals, and did pay attention to them. When it was time for our walks, we could call and call and call and no Ginger. But, get where she could see you and give a 'come hither' gesture with the hand and out she would come. But not too soon! No need to think you could fool her by signaling her out, and then not being ready to go yourself, or not having the other puppies ready to go yet. No way was she falling for that! Back she would go to her bed, until EVERYONE else was all ready!

Ginny loved our camp in the woods, and during cool weather, spent many hour curled up in her bed on the deck under a snuggly little blanket. And in the summer, she liked the coolness of lying in the dirt under a picnic table, or under a trailer or deck. Occasionally, she would decide to explore, and would have to be called back when she wanted to venture out of the camp ground yard and into the woods or onto the trail. At home, of course, she knew that puppies were never allowed outdoors off leash.

Up until last fall, Ginger was like a very spry 80 year old who still loved to be active and exercise. On our walks, she would often dance and prance and was oh so cute. Winter was, of course different, as she did NOT like to have her feet get cold, so would often beg to be picked up and carried after walking only a short way. And, of course, being Ginger, she generally got her way in this. In later months, her age had begun to show, and she was slowing down.

Ginger lived a long and happy life. We hope we were able to make her last six years beautiful. She will be missed.

We loved you little Ginny, aka Ginger Sue, aka Ginny soo whoo, aka Ginny gin gin. We miss you.

Comments (28)