SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
xeramatheum

Saying Goodbye ...

Xeramatheum
18 years ago

About an hour before the sun went down, I made my last rounds of the garden to say goodbye. I thanked the Cannas for blooming the first year from seed and giving me such beautiful flowers red, orange, yellow and pink. I thanked the green and black elephant ears for providing temporary umbrellas when I got caught out in the rain or when the sun was too hot. I thanked the Brugmansia for their extraordinary beauty, their evening fragrance and the laughs they provided when neophyte hummingbirds would get stuck in the trumpet before learning they could punch a hole in it. I thanked the Butterfly Ginger for their gorgeous white flowers and their incredible perfume that threaded its way through my garden on warm afternoons. I thanked the hedge of Confederate Rose, now 4 feet tall along the fence whose seeds were the size of a period for giving me at least one flower before the end. I thanked everyone for providing shelter and sustenance for the myriad of birds, butterflies, anoles and wildlife that wandered in and stayed.

It's 11:30pm and the thermometer reads 33 degrees. The low is suppose to be in the 20's for more than 4 hours tonight. My greatest source of joy and wonder will die tonight, itâÂÂs hard not to be sad. But IâÂÂm one day closer to the marvels and delights of Spring and the excitement and fun of going through my seed tins and planning for next year.

{{gwi:26616}}

Comments (8)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!