SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_16331601

My Momma used to....

User
17 years ago

Organic donna pointed out that this forum might be a place where this topic could continue and flourish and draw from the hearts of more forum members. It has been a great source of insight and teary moments and laughter on the "Kitchen" side. I think it belongs where we want it to belong. Certainly there have been wonderful kitchen moments woven into the tapestry of stories that we have all told .

My Momma was always a "meat and potato " cook. It was what my Dad liked and was typical Ohio farm cuisine. She would fix a pot roast with potatoes and carrots and onions , get it started before we went to church and then it would be ready when we got back for Sunday dinner. My Dad never attended church but Momma and I sang in the choir.

I often got out of helping with the dishes by practicing the piano after dinner at night. I was more willing to practice than do any kitchen work. I never cooked anything until I married in 1971. My husband had been on his own for years and was a much better cook than I. I tried making Momma's fried chicken and it was pink and bloody that first time. We laughed and I called her to find out what I had done wrong. We shared many recipes over the years. I have her little red box of receipts as my grandmother called them. When she moved "home" , in with us in August of 2002 after Daddy died, one of her favorite things was our cooking. She loved eating all the different things we cooked vs all the "same" things she had made. She was willing to eat almost anything except cilantro, which she said "tastes like turpentine !!". She loved it that our oldest son is a chef and uses his Grandfather's butcher knife and steel and has his last butcher's apron. Collin makes sausage using his Grandfather's recipe also.

It has been suggested that these memories would make a good book....I have never thought of my self as much of a writer but perhaps as the thread continues I will at least collect all of them.

Here's hoping others will join the "conversation about Momma...". Caroline

Comments (24)