SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mazer415

lab momma or anyone else interested in walkies

mazer415
17 years ago

Okay "walkies" was first coined by Barbara Woodhouse, a noted dog behaviorist, trainer, author and tv personality from England. Going outside a dogs yard in order to get extra stimulation, and focused excersize with a dog owner. Many dogs will begin suffering from the "fishbowl syndrome" which is being in the same place day after day, most dogs will start showing signs of frustration, being a bit more agressive, packing up, ignoring commands, trying to escape etc. Dogs were not meant to stay within walls and many are not okay with the practice. Even my friends Chihuahua stopped his continual barking and red lining at the fence, does less dry humping (a form of trying to dominant something in the dogs life) and is more focused. When we walk now, he pays attention, does not try and run away and when out in the driveway is content to be in the driveway, not somewhere else. My other friend has a Malinois X Boxer mix, the dog has a buddy, they both go to work at an autoshop with the owner, have a huge backyard to play in and have access to customers and other stimuli all day, yet she has learned how to open the front door and has escaped twice now. I suggested to the owner a thirty minute walkies on leash twice a day would solve the problem and it has. Her dog is more focused, does not jump up on people so much, does not tug on the leash while walking and has more overall control. Some dogs will begin to refuse to use the backyard as a bathroom any longer and will start using the inside of a house or garage. Time on leash is invaluable in training, bonding and teaching yourself and your dog who is boss. It reinforces you as a leader and helps your dog learn self control among a myriad of other things. In my book it is priceless as a training tool.

Comments (19)