SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
californiaplaya

Looking for information on my Suburban Manufacturing furnace

californiaplaya
17 years ago

I bought a 20-year-old condo a couple of years ago in the Bay Area, CA. It has a small in-ceiling furnace in the master bedroom closet. It was made by Suburban Manufacturing Company and is model DFC-30. It is natural gas fueled as most in this area are.

When the initial home inspection was being done and the inspector came across the furnace, he commented about how he has never seen this type of furnace before. That didn't bother me much until I had a furnace company come out to inspect and 'tune-up' the furnace since I didn't know what condition it was in and was 20 years old. I wanted it checked out before I started using it.

The person from the furnace company was shocked by seeing this type of furnace. He also said he has never seen this type of furnace. He took a look at and ran it and said it seems to be in proper working order. But wasn't able to do anything else with it since he has never seen one and wasn't sure how it works. And no, I wasn't charged for that service call since he wasn't able to perform the work completely.

So, that began to concern me. Two people, who otherwise seem to be fairly knowledgable about furnaces and homes have never seen the type of furnace I have and have no information about it. I was thinking to myself who I would call to fix or replace it if it were to go out since it seems to be a rare item.

I did since locate the manufacturer online and found a local distributor should I ever need parts or a replacement. They do still make similar models. I have been using it occasionally for two years (it doesn't get very cold here in NorCal) and it seems to heat my 1100 sq ft condo fairly efficiently.

I'm just wondering how common these type of furnaces are. Also, how difficult are they to work on or replace if needed? Also, are there other manufacturers that make a similar item or is this something exclusive to Suburban Manufacturing? I can't seem to find much online.

Thanks!!!

Comments (8)