SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maire_cate

What accessories do I need for my new tablet?

maire_cate
10 years ago

DH surprised me with the new Kindle Fire DHX 8.9 for Christmas. I'd been thinking about getting a tablet and every time Ravencajun mentioned one I would be even more tempted. But I never got around to picking one so DH solved that problem. And the sweet man picked the one with 64 GB so that I can download movies.

I'm still figuring out how it works - which swipe does what - putting in my favorites and bookmarks - how many GB is one movie etc.

We immediately put on a screen protector but I need a case. He bought an Otterbox but I haven't opened it yet. I think it might be too bulky. From reading the reviews it's not the type of case that you would put on and take off frequently.

Any recommendations for a case? Or a case with keyboard? And I guess I'll need ear buds.

What else should I consider? Any favorite downloads to recommend?

I'm really excited about this.
Thanks,
Maire

This post was edited by maire_cate on Fri, Jan 3, 14 at 9:59

Comments (22)

• chessey24
    10 years ago

Mine doesn't have a name on it - it came from Best Buy or one of the office stores -Staples, etc. I prefer this kind- one which fits the Kindle like a book cover. Elastic straps hold the Kindle inside and it closes like a book and has an elastic band that comes around from the back to hold it closed. You open it like a book rather than one that is an envelope and you take it in and out. I guess it's a matter of personal preference. (The keyboard is digital, so you shouldn't need a another one) Earbuds are a good idea if you're going to watch movies.

• dees_1
    10 years ago

I have a Kindle Fire HD with the Otterbox. I never take mine out of the case. It does make it a little big but you get used to it. It's a great protector. I like that it has a stand so I can prop it on the counter and watch a movie/video in the kitchen if I want. I don't always put the cover piece back over the front but I really like the case.

Hubby has an earlier KF and he's got a book like cover. He likes it.

To each his own! :)

• Related Discussions

I need a new compost bin... what do I need to look for?

Q

Comments (3)
    Many local governments (city, county) in the US offer subsidized compost bins to their residents. I've seen the Biostack, Earth Machine, and at least one other model offered. Sometimes you can even get a worm box from these offers! Prices here in the Bay Area for subsidized bins run approx. 1/3 of retail price, give or take, so definitely check it out. I think the Biostack is retailing for $99 to $129, depending on where you want to purchase it, so $200 should get you some nice goodies, even if you have to pay full prices. Enjoy! Cynthia H. El Cerrito, CA
    ...See More

Need your opinion on my new accessories

Q

Comments (19)
    The things that you have chosen are all tallish and narrow and are fireplace-specific. By that I mean they don't carry through the room. The fireplace is rock which is also weighty but your accessories, including the ones on the mantle are holding their own. You have orange in your windowsill vase and I think in your table lamp as well and both your table lamps have green in them. I would get a tall weighty vase with those colours in them, perhaps something in a pottery. You could also add something with a sparkle to give more texture to the room. I don;t know if this would work, but could the speaker be put into a basket that is turned on it's side so that the opening is facing out. It would help to disguise it and again add some texture to the area. Then put a pic or a framed mirror above the fireplace that is hung as high as the window wall. It looks like you have some serious ceiling height going on in that room but all of your accessories seem to be on the shorter smaller side but without a full room pic it's hard to tell if they are getting lost in the room.
    ...See More

I need help right away! Do I match the color of my new front door

Q

Comments (4)
    I had a faux finish on the interior of my door and hated it. Made the interior of the entrance dark and drab. What a difference a paint of coat made on it. I have all stained wood and hardwood. I repainted the interior of my front door just one shade lighter than the walls.
    ...See More

When do I need to apply more fertilizer to my new roses & what kind?

Q

Comments (10)
    In their second year you could feed them liquid fertilizer-- I alternate fish emulsion and seaweed. I don't feed from July 1 until mid September, to give them a rest. They slow down then anyway. We're always in the 90's during the summer here in SE Virginia. If you apply hardwood mulch that will feed the soil and keep their roots cool. I don't bring it up so it touches the canes, just within a couple inches of them.
    ...See More
  • jel48
    10 years ago

I have never used my Kindle Fire to watch movies, so I haven't had any need for the earbuds, although I do occasionally watch a youtube video on it. My cover opens like a book too and is pretty solid and sturdy. I've never really had any reason to remove it, although someone else might have reasons they wanted to do so.

• Holly_ON
    10 years ago

I really like the leather covers from Oberon Design. They are artistic, well made and will outlast your device. Like the otter box, they aren't cheap but I feel my devices are equally protected. They are only available from their website. -www.oberondesign.com.

• heather_on
    10 years ago

I am an Oberon fan too. They do a great job of protecting your device.

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    10 years ago

Last year my nephew sent me a pyramid book rest pillow. It makes reading with a tablet so comfortable. I have an iPad. I keep a stylus in the pocket. I bought one for my mother, she has a Nook and loves the pillow. I've since given them as gifts to other friends. They come in different colors. You can read the reviews on the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pyramid book rest

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    10 years ago

You might reconsider not using the otterbox, he got you a really excellent case that is very protective and pretty expensive. I personally would stick with it.
    There are a ton of cases just go to amazon or ebay and do a search for your model of tablet and you will find a vast array that do various things. There are some that come with a built in bluetooth keyboard I have never used one so can not comment how well they work. I just use the keyboad that is in the tablet although my Asus did come with a full keyboard I can attach, I rarely do.
    I don't like ear buds they just do not stay well in my ears. I have several types of ear phones I have purchased over the years. I have bought several of them at Big Lots they have a huge assortment and some major names for very cheap. Same with cases they have some really nice cases but I would take your tablet with you any time you are going somewhere to try to fit a case to it.
    I was recently at Tuesday Morning and they had some of the beautiful leather ones like the Oberon ones they may have been Oberon not sure but for a much discounted price. None fit my Asus unfortunately. But I have bought a lot of good electronic stuff at Tues Morning.

• maire_cate
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for all of your suggestions, I'll definitely check them out. DH thought I might like to watch movies while we're driving to our place in the mountains - it's about a 3 hours drive and just right for a movie and if I had earphones it wouldn't disturb him while he's driving or listening to the radio.

For those of you who type on their digital keyboard - do you lay it flat on the table and type with both hands - or hold it and type with one hand?

I know that may sound silly but I am a fairly fast typist on my laptop and my PC keyboard and I was wondering if I had a separate keyboard if that would be easier. Especially since I'm used to seeing my screen upright and the keyboard flat on the table.

decisions, decisions.....

thanks again, Maire

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    10 years ago

I type with one hand while holding it. The keyboards that you buy for a tablet that small have very small keys and you really can't use it like a regular keyboard unless you have very small hands and fingers. I have an added app for the swiftkey keyboard for tablets, I did pay for it but definitely worth it to me. It is extremely smart in the predictions which saves me a lot of time typing out a whole word. There is a free version you can try out which is what I did then bought the pay tablet version.
    SwiftKey
    the latest version of swiftkey has put both tablet and smartphone all in one app so just one app to get. The latest version is 4.3.
    SwiftKey
    here is the app at google play store the free one and the pay one. Try out the free one! I have it on all of my devices. And if you buy it once you can use it on as many devices as you have.

• maire_cate
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Raven, I was hoping you'd pop in. What type of cover do you use on your tablets?

Alisande mentioned that she had downloaded the keyboard app that you recommended and really liked it. I'll try those you linked.

Are there security issues with a tablet? I know that you shouldn't use a public WiFi connection for sensitive information. I'd never order something online where I have to type a credit card number while sitting in a public place. My computers at home are scheduled for regular scans. Do we need to scan tablets too?

It seems that every time I turn my little Kindle on I have another new question. I still think they should have owner's manuals!

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    10 years ago

I put Avast free on my newest one another great option is lookout security it's free too. I am really liking the Avast. Avast allows you to set up a regular scan schedule which I do, but it is constantly scanning everything you do and any apps and also all the updates.

I have various types of cases. I would love an Otterbox but they don't have any for my ASUS.

• oldfixer
    10 years ago

Don't have what y'all have, and don't see any need to have what y'all seem so excited about. Have fun, whatever this thing does.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    10 years ago

And I doubt you ever will till you have one in hand and use it for a while.
    I would not be with out one now. Rarely use my desktop computer now.
    Wonderful for those with mobility issues, use in comfort and with ease.
    What ever this thing does= it's a computer, you're using one now...

• Terri_PacNW
    10 years ago

I have an ipad, and right now I am two handed typing, well four finger typing..the pad it flat on my crossed knee..but I do often type with just ine hand and hold the device in the other.

If I did more "work" on my device then I'd definately get a wireless keyboard.

I too rarely use my PC..I've had this "pal" for almost 2 years. Can't live with out it!
    We bought the younger two boys a starter tablet..nextbooks for Christmas...they love them..they hardly pick up their ipod's now..lol..

• pammyfay
    10 years ago

Earbuds can be uncomfortable for some people, but if you've used them before, OK. (I never liked the earbuds that came with my iPod, so I got a pair that has wires that loop over the ears -- much better for when I was going to the gym.)

For watching something on the tablet while your husband's driving, I think a foldable pair of headphones would be more comfy.

For your first tablet, go ahead and put the Otterbox on. It'll give you more peace of mind because they offer a lot more more protection than some alternatives. You never know when it'll slip from your hands. I have something similar -- it was a bear to put on, so I don't think I'll ever be taking it off!

I wasn't crazy about some of the cases I saw on Amazon -- ones that didn't fully protect all around the edges or that had just 4 elastics holding the corners of the tablet. They might be OK for some people, but I wanted more.

If you're a library user, you should talk to a librarian to see how to download the program to access e-books from there (before you start buying them from Amazon or other places and before you get deep into the free Kindle singles that are offered).

And since you have to carry along the charger/earbuds or earphones when you're taking the tablet someplace farther away from home, of course you need a cute little pouch to tuck everything into! I got a little SportSac thing at either Marshalls or TJMaxx; you could even get a makeup bag-type thing.

ALSO: Post back if you ever have to use the "Mayday" function on the tablet! I'd love to hear your experience.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    10 years ago

we recently had a post here that listed the best options for where to get the free kindle books I would check that out. I have hundreds of great books on my kindle app and paid for very few. It is amazing how many really good books are free.
    My fave list to subscribe to is pixelofink.com but I also get bookbub and bookgorilla daily, they do offer different books from each other. There are some others too if you search around.
    Getting the lists in my email makes it so easy to browse them daily when I have time and just click on the ones I am interested in to find out more and select them. Great thing about Amazon kindle store it will tell you if you already bought that book, which is good since I can't remember lol.

I believe you have to install overdrive to use the library books once you have a library card.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    10 years ago

So timely this just popped up in my email with some of my tech info. Thought it might be helpful.
    12 helpful tips to improve your Kindle Fire HDX

• Shelgal
    10 years ago

i have a leather case for my Kindle Fire HD that I bought from Amazon which was made for this tablet. It came in several colors, opens like a book, and is closed on one side with a velcro insert, and it has a screen protector. If I remember it was about 20 or 25 dollars.

• maire_cate
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So many good suggestions - thank you all.

I think I will try the Otterbox. It will make DH happy since he researched it plus it does offer good protection. DH really did all his homework - he also bought the 2 year full protection plan' and a stylus. Checking the reviews I read that many complained about the difficulty in installing it and that Otterbox's own video wasn't too enlightening. many also mentioned that it's not something that's easy to put on and take off.

Good point about the foldable headphones. DH doesn't care for ear buds so he'd prefer them too.

I have a Kindle eReader and all of my books transferred to the Fire. I have subscribed to several free Kindle sites but I really find the best recommendations are when KT members mention titles they've found and post about it. The number of books are overwhelming and it can be hard to pick the good ones from the mass of mediocre books.

DH paid the extra $15 so I don't get any of Amazon's "special offers" (a.k.a. advertisements) but I did notice today that there are small adds on the top of some pages. So I guess I'll have to install Adblock Plus. And I should download Avast too.

Pammyfay I got a chuckle out of your suggestion to pick up a little pouch for my charger and earphones. It's amazing how quickly the cables, connectors, chargers and other accessories for these devices multiply. I started out with a small clear plastic zippered pouch to hold the cables and chargers for my cell phone and iPod. Then when DH gave me the eReader I bought a slightly larger one. I have so many duplicates that I finally labeled them and I now keep one set at home, another in the car and a third set at our vacation house.

I'm sure I'll be hitting the 'Mayday' button regularly. I've already jotted down a few questions.

I'll save Raven's link to the 12 tips - there are 5 or 6 that are useful now and the others might come in handy in the future. Although I don't think I have the courage to 'root' my device and void the warranty.

Thanks again,
    Maire

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    10 years ago

No you don't want to root it!
    Only way you can use Adblock plus is if you are able to install the Firefox browser on the fire, I am not sure if you can side load it or not.
    I am sure you can get the Avast from the amazon app store it's definitely at the Google play store. If you can side load Dolphin browser like it describes in the link then you should be able to get Firefox, I prefer it over Dolphin. It is easy to use add ons just like the pc version, including Adblock plus. You can also use flash with Firefox but you do have to get an older version flash from the archive. If you want to do that I am happy to help.

I have a pair of headphones that folds up and is easy to store in my carrying case. I use my carrying case when traveling, I keep my cables and plugs and headphones in it along with the tablet in its case.

I wouldn't plan on taking the Otterbox off and on, I rarely ever take my case off.

Check you tube videos for information on putting the case on.

• pammyfay
    10 years ago

Great suggestion by Raven to look at You Tube for the Otterbox directions.
    When I had to put a screen saver on my tablet, even though there were 2 in the package, I watched plenty of videos there to learn every trick I could! (I have a slight shake in one hand, which I knew would get worse under pressure, so I wanted to "practice" by watching first.)

• liz
    10 years ago

i have a kindle fire and when I travel it's in two cases...a co worker dropped my first kindle...and it only had a gel case on it...and it was cooked...so I have a small close to fit on the Fire and then another one more padded that zips...I rarely travel with it but when I do I want protection! You should definitely put that Otterbox to good use and KEEP THAT HUBBY!! ha ha...There is an art to getting those screen covers on...hubster got one for my macbook for Christmas and its still in the box...thats a job I let my son do when he comes home...I tried using my kindle for wi-fi last Christmas before I got my small macbook...I used my thumbs and what a pain...but I had wifi and wasn't totally locked out from what was going on back home...I'd probably get a keyboard if I had a tablet...even though they are small...there's just something about having a keyboard!

I doubt that I'll ever get a tablet cause I love my Macbook Air..it has a 14 inch screen and it's light as a feather...and only l/2 inch thick at it's largest! I've got it covered with a case top and bottom plus a keyboard cover...so its well protected.. .not much bigger than an ipad and all the benefits of a laptop...I love it when I travel...

My son loves his i-pad and doesn't understand why I don't want one..I just thinks it's a lot of money for what I would be using it for! I''m doing a layover this week so I'll load up two or three movies since I'll be in a Portugese speaking country and throw a couple of books on it for good measure! (i don't plan to have THAT much free time...this is a BUCKET list trip!)

Sponsored
Dream Outdoor Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Providing Quality Home Improvements in South Riding for Over 30 Years