SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sholt576

I need some thoughts about whether to have hand surgery

sholt576
16 years ago

This is my first post on this side of the forums, so if I don't look familiar to the regulars, its because I spend most of my time drooling over your kitchen pics.

Here's my dilemma: I have finger on my right hand that was injured and no longer bends at the middle joint. Think along the lines of flipping someone off any time you make a fist.

I could have surgery to fix this and there's a pretty high likely hood that I'd get close to normal range of motion back. But, I'd have to have surgery and the resulting recovery time and PT time. Working all that into my schedule is a bit of a hassle. Most likely it wouldn't involve any time having my hand immobilized in a splint. In fact, keeping that finger moving would be key to its recovery.

Anyway- its just a finger. I've lived with it like this for a year. It's mildly annoying and it is at somewhat increased risk of injury due to sticking out all alone even though you may think it's tucked in (one must be careful when chopping or shredding things, closing doors, etc). Plus you lose grip strength.

I met with a surgeon today, and need to decide whether to schedule. WWYD? After all, its really just a finger.

BTW- the injury occurred when a glass dish from the OTR microwave exploded in my hand. Now after hanging around here I'm wondering if it would have destroyed my future induction cooktop that I dream about, because it landed forcefully right in the middle of the current cooktop.

Comments (14)