SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kevalent

hvac pricing help in northern nj?

kevalent
15 years ago

Hi all, I'm trying to get a grasp on pricing for a Central Air/Heat Pump install and was wondering if any of you had experience or input on the matter. From what I've read online and in this and other forums it seems like I'm either getting the shaft or prices in NJ are over 50% higher than the rest of the known world.

I have a small cape in Northern NJ (about 1500' of conditioned space) with hot water heat that has never had A/C before so it would need ductwork. We're doing a full tear-out remodel on the 2nd floor and I will be expanding a kneewall area for the air handler...ductwork can be run through this area for all upstairs rooms, the front half of the downstairs, and the returns...rear downstairs rooms will require ducts to be run in the floor joists (prob 3 total). By the installation begins I will have the upstairs stripped down to the framing (no drywall or insulation and virtually unobstructed access to the kneewall install areas) and I'm fine with them cutting through the floor as needed to run the rear ducts for downstairs.

I've gotten several estimates for 3 ton 15-16seer systems so far and the middle of the curve has ranged from $11k for a Goodman AC/Variable speed air handler to $13.5k for a SpacePak system and topping out close to $15k for a Carrier AC setup. HeatPump models are being quoted up to $2k+ over basic AC pricing (all prices are before applying current incentives and/or rebates).

Looking around it seems that people are getting similar setups along with addons (electronic air cleaners, humidifiers, etc.) and a new furnace for less than I'm being quoted for basic AC alone...am I crazy for thinking these prices are way too high? Anyone in the industry have insight as to what manufacturers offer equipment to installers for and/or what a typical markup might be? Any ideas on what a true fair price might be for something like this?

I'm all for these guys making a fair profit and am willing to pay for their expertise to do the install correctly but given the experience of others and current economic standing this is not exactly what I expected. Thanks in advance all for any info!

Comments (5)