SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

Do you do something that no one else does?

Oakley
11 years ago

IOW, are you really interested in somehing that none of your friends or family are interested in, therefore you have no one to talk about it with? It's not fun!

I have two "hobbies" that I'm obsessed with. Literally. And I don't know of one person IRL who likes the same. That can get lonely. :)

First, I'm a huge Tudor era historian. Pre-Tudor through Elizabeth I. I have about 30 books on it. I'm about finished with a book on Jane Grey and will be getting a book in the mail today about Anne of Cleves. My interest also includes all the players, not just royalty, during that period.

The second one is Angry Birds. It's the most downloaded app in the world, and I don't know ANYONE who plays it except for an ocassional game. :( I have all the games on iPad, which IMO is the only device the game should be played on.

I remember downloading AB's last December to see what the big deal was. I wasn't all that impressed but I kept going from level to level and now when new downloads come out (free), or new games, it's like my birthday!

I know it may sound silly, but it would be nice to have someone I know that likes these two hobbies of mine.

Are you in the same situation?

Comments (53)

• Oakley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Fun, I wish GW had an "Accessories Forum." It would cover so many areas outside of paint and furniture placement which is mostly discussed on the decor side.

Kitchen counters, end tables, wall groupings, vignettes, cloches, displaying linens/dishes/collections...the list is endless! Oh, and we could do Christmas too, since there's a LOT of planning ahead of time for decor. Pinterest has really given me great ideas on Christmas decorating.

Bf, I sometimes read the kitchen forum, but it's too technical for me. I would like to see how people accessorize their kitchens though!

BTW, my book did come in today. I found out it was written in 1946 and republished in '08. Cool!

• tuesday_2008
    11 years ago

Yes. Gardenweb! You folks get it, but I don't have a friend or family member IRL that even knows what GW is! I don't contribute a lot, but I sure learn a lot.

Blfenton - my winter pastime is jigsaw puzzles - I have to work at not letting them become addictive. Love the Jigzone puzzles on line.

Reading - of course most other people love to read, but I just feel like I am addicted to reading. I can't pass a book counter or book store without browsing, touching, and reading. I have to read EVERY NIGHT, regardless of how late it is when I get home, even if only for 5 minutes. I feel like someone going through withdrawal if I don't have a good book to read.

Cleaning - Don't get me wrong - I get so tired of house cleaning, but when life gets really stressful and out of control, I like to clean SOMETHING whether it be one bathroom, or wash the dishes, or sweep the porch - just something to make me feel in control. I do that when I am not reading :).

• Related Discussions

If it isn't one thing, it is something else.

Q

Comments (51)
    Thanks for the advice. I'm still trying to find a place for the orchid outdoors. There doesn't seem to be anywhere outside that doesn't get direct sunlight for hours at a time. Fortunately, I don't have any slugs outside (eww), and I have many potted plants outside that seem to be bug free for an occasional spider, so I moved the orchid around. For a while, it was on a gravel path. But, as I said I don't even know where to keep it outside, so it goes in and out throughout the day. I will also look for something to raise it up on once I find a place outside. Jane, that would be great if it would spike! Sarah
    ...See More

Do I have blueberry shoots, or something else?

Q

Comments (2)
    High bush blueberries will sucker from the base. And I think that's what you're seeing. High bush blueberries are wonderful, native, easy care shrubs with year round interest. One of my favorites.
    ...See More

Do I have a disease or is it something else?

Q

Comments (4)
    Well, there is no way to tell whether you are under-or over-watering, as there is no info given about moisture levels. o 5 holes from a 1/2 drill bit is plenty. o I prefer SuperSoil as there is no vermiculite in it, but it needs supplemental fert, like most potting mixes do IMHO; all my container soils are mixed by me and SuperSoil is the base. o The soil temp might be too high for beans and you may want to shade the pots - blue is pretty dark. I don't do pole beans in containers any more as they never work - too hard for moisture and soil critter control. Bush only if I do it. Dan
    ...See More

Should I mulch the wooded back lot or do something else?

Q

Comments (12)
    Hi, I know this thread is 6 years old but I wondered if the OP tried mulch etc. And wanted to ask how it worked for them? We have a property with small strip of woodland at the base of Mt Beacon about an hour north of New York City. We've lived here three years. When a tree in the shallow soil on the hill fell over in a storm and smashed our shed, the guys removing the tree did us a "favor" and removed a bunch of the scrubby undergrowth back there. By doing this they appear to have spread poison ivy throughout the area. I'm attacking it here and there by snipping, raking, and a little herbicide, however the whole area is so overgrown it's just hard to tackle it. We have a preschooler and it's actually the only shaded area on our property, so I really would love to make better use of it. The local "natural" landscaping company I hope would help us, keeps not showing up. They came once for an initial consultation, then never followed up, then didn't answer my calls. I actually saw them again recently working on someone else's property. They came over after my neighbor's job, suggested using heavy mulch to get the area under control, then never followed up again! I'm starting to think about going to the city dump and getting load after load of wood chips on my own, and seeing what happens if I weed whack and just try to create a path with the chips. Anyhow my search for ideas brought me to this forum. Open to feedback! On a budget but very much interested in planting native species over time.
    ...See More
  • SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

I'm rather obsessed with English cottages and vintage cottage decor. There don't seem to be many even here who share my interest, so I often find myself feeling a bit out of place. It feels like the "other side" is often filled with high-end decor discussions, and I just have no interest in that kind of thing. I know, I know - that probably sounds sacreligious to say on a decorating forum, but I'm happier piddling about with adding simple vintage touches to my home. Does it feel like the decorating forum sometimes takes a new direction that you just don't quite relate to?

• anele_gw
    11 years ago

SunnyCottage--I LOVE vintage. My kids do not and complain about it.

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

Well, I re-read what I'd posted and I certainly hope I didn't come across as sounding as though I thought that just because a conversation didn't particularly captivate me, that I felt it shouldn't interest others. That's certainly not the case, and hope nobody felt I was implying that. I don't get to come here as often as I used to, which may be one reason that I often feel "out of the loop" as far as the topic(s) du jour. Too, I realize that the type of decor that really makes my heart sing doesn't have a tremendously wide appeal. But I am glad to know at least a handful of you here share my passion! :-)

• Fun2BHere
    11 years ago

SunnyCottage, I love cottage decor, too. I don't have it, but I love reading about it and seeing pictures of it. OakleyOK, it does seem like there's room for another forum related to accessorizing or having fun with accessories or something like that. I would guess there are many of us whose greatest decor change is switching pillows on the sofa or hanging a new door wreath, not because we don't love big projects, but because circumstances like time, budget, or life stage make us more interested in small changes.

• nancybee_2010
    11 years ago

sunny cottage, I'm another who loves cottage decor (like fun2behere, I don't have it) but I really enjoy looking at pictures of it. I loved those pics of real English homes you posted awhile back.

I'm not that interested in the high-end stuff either. I think it's much more fun to look at homey, cozy decor. Oakley, your home is one of those! I always like looking at pics of your home.

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

I totally agree with Fun2BHere - I would love a forum that focuses on the small stuff! I can obsess (and actually enjoy doing so) for days about finding the perfect accent pillow or Bavarian plate or cream pitcher or ... well, right now I'm kicking myself for not snapping up a little wooden crate that I saw at Target a couple of weeks ago. It was stencilled with the name of an English (Cornish, I believe) dairy and would have been perfect on the bottom shelf of my kitchen island to store DH's muscle-man protein powders (they come in such hideous jars). Of course, now that I have found the perfect place for the crate, I can no longer find the crate anywhere. But it would be fun to just chat about the little tweaks and touches instead of floor plans and whole-house paint schemes, and still feel as though we were contributing something of interest.

• blfenton
    11 years ago

I completely agree. I like the way my LR and DR are and don't want a whole makeover but I wouldn't mind a suggestion as to how to accessorize it with one or two items to just finish it off. I too obsess about that and buy enough decorating magazines to show for it.

• kkay_md
    11 years ago

I have an avid interest in polar exploration. I collect books, some artwork, visit National Geographic (in DC) for related exhibits, and study anything on the subject. I once even edited a book on nutrition and polar exploration--I was in heaven! I once went to a yard sale and the seller was Norwegian. She had framed photos of Amundsen and Nansen as well as some sketches that (she claimed) Amundsen had done. She gave them all to me (no charge)--I think she was astonished that I had recognized them. They are tucked into a bookshelf with part of my collection.

My interest is an offshoot of a broader interest in exploration. I'm sure other people enjoy reading about polar exploration--there's certainly enough material out there--but I am not personally acquainted with anyone who does. It doesn't bother me at all.

• Sueb20
    11 years ago

No one I know IRL is anywhere near as interested in home decor as I am.

I also HAVE to read every night. I can't believe there are people in the world who can actually fall asleep at night without reading first! Okay, there's one other activity that would interfere, but...that's a topic for another forum, cough cough.

• tuesday_2008
    11 years ago

Sue sometimes reading has to take second place :).

SunnyCottage, I thoroughly enjoyed watching your transformation to your new cottage look! Keep the pictures coming, even if it is just one accessory/piece at a time. The HGTV decorating board is not as busy as this one, but they do a "Monday Morning Find" over there just to show anything new, whether it be yard sale, thrift store, craigslist, e-bay, a new DIY project. That would be fun here.

• leafy02
    11 years ago

I often feel like I am the only one doing the things I do...

I really like Korean soap operas. I got hooked on them when I lived in a city where they played on TV late at night, now I watch them on Netflix or (gulp) buy the DVDs.
    They are different than US soaps in that they are more like superlong mini-series--there are are only a certain # of episodes--20 or 40 or whatever. So you can watch the 'whole story' and then it's over. My two favorites are Yellow Handkerchief (serious drama) and Boys Before Flowers (romantic comedy).

And for the past few years I have read many books about historic shipwrecks and shipwreck survivors. I don't live in a seaside area, no one I know gives a hoot about sailing or shipwrecks or survival on remote islands, so I'm alone in that, too. My all-time favorite is Island of the Lost by Joan Druett. Other good ones are In the Heart of the Sea by N. Philbrick, and The Bounty: the true story of the mutiny on the Bounty by C. Alexander, Caliban's Shore by S. Taylor, and oh, a bunch more.

And then there are the hours I spend on eBay shopping for vintage fish tank decor. . .

Um, yeah, I am weird.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

Sunny, I love hearing about your cottage, vacations, curtins, etc! Nothing is too trival, we all love the hunt for that perfect item.
    But, I do occasionally start a philosophical decorating discussion and I love those too. Love considering predictions, history, all that.

I can't go to bed without reading either and always have something but if I don't like a book, and I don't like most, I won't finish it. I reread favorites a zillion times over for the feel good feeling.

Love, love gardening, but there are plenty of places here to discuss that! Love animals, cooking, nothing unusual. Except I know no one irl that likes any of this as much as me. Well, one person.

Love decorating so much and thankfully I have all you!

Oh, and handbags :-)

• neetsiepie
    11 years ago

Big, BIG rock and roll fan. I really, really love it and I know a lot about it. I collect books about it, watch documentaries, etc. I love my Rock 'n Roll. Many people I know think I should have grown up by now, but my feeling is, the bands I love are still going strong, so why can't I continue to enjoy it too?

I also am a rock nerd. I love rocks. I have a weakness for geology and when I was in Vegas, I had more interest in exploring Red Rocks than the Strip. I am running out of places to put the rocks & minerals I collect...DH and I are thinking of dedicating the library to our rocks. I pick them up everywhere I go, and DH and I gift one another with rocks. People just don't get our fascination.

And I love bunnies.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sunny, "Piddling" with accessories is right up my alley and I would love to have help. Just yesterday it took me hours finding a mirrored vintagy tray for the kitchen countertop.

Maybe someone here with clout could ask for a "Decorating Accessories" forum? :)

Like you, I too feel a bit out of place with all the high end decorating on the other side. IMO, the hard part of decorating IS accessorizing!

Leafy, that's what I mean. I feel so alone in not having anyone to talk to about my two little passions. I think DH is getting tired of my AB talk. Just yesterday I found a hidden cake that's hard to get and he wasn't interested. LOL

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

Pesky, I will be your rock-n-roll sister! Our last concert was KISS/Motley Crue a couple of weeks ago. For what we spend on concerts in a year, we could probably take a nice vacation, but each concert IS a little vacation for a night. So much for being old, most of the bands we see are at least our age.

• kaijutokusatsu
    11 years ago

GW is what I do! I tell my friends but so far none have investigated as far as I know. DH is into film collecting and projectors. Sadly, he can't get anyone to come and watch.
    He and DS build monster costumes,which are a great conversation starter since they must take up space in our business. But we are pretty rural so I figure that's why no one else is into this stuff.Once a year we go to G-fest in Chicago and hang with all the other geeks,lol!

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

Leafy - vintage fish tank decor? That is unique! I've never heard of that as a collection, but I think it's wonderful! I was curious so perused eBay and am finding these adorable pieces. Do you use yours in an actual fish tank, or just display them? I'd love to see a photo!

• dedtired
    11 years ago

Gardenweb and Facebook. I am way too old to be spending so much time on FB. I also play a lot of a game called Solitaire Blitz. If I ever tried to explain this to my friends they would think I had lost it. I have gone to get togethers with some of my GW friends and it is hard to explain how I know these people! Now I don't even think of them as GW friends, but just friends.

• dedtired
    11 years ago

I know that I am not the only one who hangs out on GW and FB. I'm certainly not the only one who does this, but among my real life friends, it's odd.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

Once, during a heated discussion here, I tried explaining to my closet friend how bothered and stressed out I was over it. She didn't even remotely understand and blew it off, it wasn't Real life!

• stinky-gardener
    11 years ago

"...the decorating forum sometimes takes a new direction that you just don't quite relate to?" I was just thinking that, Sunny! I signed up here in 2008, and my goodness has the forum gone off in a different direction since then. Especially the last year, I think. I can't relate to much of what is discussed and planned and executed. Of course, the forum is open to all, and I wish everyone well with their endeavors and want everyone to be happy. I just can't wrap my brain around a lot of it.

As far as your question, Oak, I think I tend to ask, "Do I do anything anyone else does?" I know I'm a weirdo. Btw, I think your interests sound very interesting. Especially your exploration of British history. Fascinating that a little girl from OK would pursue such a thing!

• mrsmarv
    11 years ago

Kayaking and fishing. My DH and I kayak on a regular basis. Find us a stream, a "swamp", or a lake to kayak on and we're in hog heaven. Most of my friends don't get it. I also like to fish (with DH) and we've discovered kayak fishing, which works great for us LOL. DH's "guy" friends like to fish, but most of their mates think fishing is gross. Me, I'd happily kayak (and fish) 'till the cows come home. Go figure ;o)

• terezosa / terriks
    11 years ago

I'm not much of a facebooker, but I'm the only person I know IRL who frequents forums like this one. And I also spend waaay too much time playing Wordfeud with strangers from around the world.

• teacats
    11 years ago

GW -- and love shopping for decor items -- and read decor books and mags.

Honestly -- it has got to the point that I don't even mention anything about decor around most people .... and you should see the looks on people's faces when I do try!! ((like they just stepped on something nasty ...))

Old horror movies ... and B-type sci-fi movies.

And lots of music ...

And English style decorating!! Waving to SunnyCottage!! :)

• Oakley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Stinky, my family is from VA., and I was told our family is from England. Actually, some of the "royal" names are the same full names as my father and brother's. I've always joked since I was a kid that there's room enough in that big old house of their's for me to live in! lol

I do FB, but so does my friends and family, so that doesn't count. I don't tell any of my buds about GW because it's nice to have a space where I can hang out, KWIM? DH knows about it though, he uses GW for other things.

• teacats
    11 years ago

Yes -- I keep GW to myself LOL! :)

I don't do FB or Twitter ....

• suero
    11 years ago

I do KenKen, occasionally Killer Sudoku, and I'm trying to do the Financial Times crosswords, but I'm so out of practice that today I got only two words, and that was more than I got yesterday.

• leafy02
    11 years ago

Sunny, yes, like those. I do use them in my fish tanks, but I also have some sitting out as decor. I love them. I used to have a good photo of several of them being displayed together, but the only photo on this laptop is the one here, where just a little of one is showing, on the buffet in the living room.

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

Leafy, what a delightful pic! I love your fish tank collectibles! (And your flowers, of course!) In fact, this little vignette looks so interesting ... have you posted photos of your home here before?

I guess I never really answered the question that Oakley originally posed, so here goes: I play djembe, which is an African hand drum. I've been taking weekly group lessons and will say that I've come a long way over the past year. It's such fun, although I seem to have perpetually sore hands from drumming.

• leafy02
    11 years ago

Thanks, Sunny. I haven't posted photos much, but this is really the only cute area in the whole house. It's mostly dog hair and board games everywhere else.

My mother gave me that lovely buffet and did some of the artwork that is leaning on it. I did grow the flowers and bring the vases home from thrift stores, so I will take credit for that!

• kristine_ca
    11 years ago

I have a thing for maps--all kinds, but mostly old ones. My house is filled with antique maps from places we've visited, gilded world maps, etc. The one that gets the most comments is the one of a town called Center Sandwich (in NH) hanging in the downstairs bath.

And Leafy, I'm right there with you on the sailing/shipwreck books! I loved "In the Heart of the Sea." Try the Hornblower books if you haven't already.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Leafy, that's why we need a board for Accessorizing! We could help each other out and find a place for your games. lol.

Our old games which dh refuses to get rid of are in MY closet. Ugh.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sunny, I meant to thank you for doing the details topic. We need more topics like that!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Oakley, I think you have picked a wonderful period of history to study-one of the most interesting! DH and I are huge readers of non-fiction history and biographies.

I guess the one thing I do would be reading Tolkien. I am (and so is DH) a tad over the top, having read The Lord of the Rings more than 50 times since it was required reading on my 8th grade summer reading list. Our mutual love for and admiration of all things Tolkien was something we discovered about each other after we married-fun! Other than his works, I stick mostly to non-fiction. Odd.

• teacats
    11 years ago

cyn427: Another Tolkien fan here! Really excited about the THREE upcoming movies covering "The Hobbit" (now includes a third film to "bridge" the years between the Hobbit and LOR! Have you guys read the Silmarillion?

Also -- do check out David Arkenstone's Music Inspired by Middle Earth ... wonderful music ....

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

I'm looking forward to The Hobbit too! Really want to see Richard Armitage, he was a hottie in MI-5 but will be gnarly in The Hobbit.

• tinam61
    11 years ago

I think I am a bit like Stinky in that I do alot of things that others don't do! I've always followed the beat of a different drummer. I'm fine with that though! For instance, I am not into tv, movies, etc. much at all. I like to read, but have trouble making time for it. I only have a couple of friends who are into decorating. Same for antiquing, but my hubby is my partner in crime in that area. My closest gal pal will not step foot on a boat and I adore boating! Many of my friends turn up their nose at camping, but it's something we enjoy. LOL

I can't think of anything I'm really obsessed with though.

I've seen alot of kids playing angry birds, but really don't hear much about it otherwise. Well other than seeing things advertised relating to AB. Then again, I'm not much into games.

tina

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

Architecture!! No matter where I go, I either need to drive up and down the streets of a city or walk~~whoever is with me usually gets dragged with me. My kids know I have this 'obsession' and if one of them is with me, will give into my whim. I absolutely love looking at old buildings and trying to determine the style/era. ;o)

• teacats
    11 years ago

Pattycakes: Yes!! Old buildings fascinate me -- especially the more gothic ones ....

And yes -- I do love old cemeteries too ....

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Teacats, yes, have read The Silmarilion, but it has been years. Funny you mention it because I was thinking the other night that I should read it again. It is a tougher read than some of his other works not counting his academic essays.

I think that part of the reason we like him is that he has actually created another world with a history and languages to it that hold together. DH is a fan of the maps and atlas, too.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I never read The Hobbit, but I did read Watership Down, way before it became popular. I named one of my cat's "Fiver." Not sure if anyone here is familiar with the book though.

I'm talking about adults playing AB's. Message boards are loaded with adults talking about the game, but the only ones I know of who play only do it once and awhile.

• teacats
    11 years ago

Do look up "The Silmarillion" reading on YouTube ... I believe that it is uploaded by "tolkenfan"(yes thats the spelling of the channel)

sooooooo good!!! :)

• drybean
    11 years ago

This thread is so interesting. So many varied interests and hobbies.

Like many of you, I am way ore into home decorating than my friends or family. That is why I love GW.

Pesky-
    I also am a rock nerd. I love rocks. I have a weakness for geology and when I was in Vegas, I had more interest in exploring Red Rocks than the Strip. I am running out of places to put the rocks & minerals I collect...DH and I are thinking of dedicating the library to our rocks. I pick them up everywhere I go, and DH and I gift one another with rocks. People just don't get our fascination.

As the daughter of a geologist, I can completely relate. I too,love rocks and minerals and have many of them displayed in our home, as well as large ones outside that I just put in my garden. We just moved cross country, and the movers looked askance at me when I asked them to pack all of my large lava rocks and petrified wood from the front yard. Lol.

My daughter is carrying on the family tradition.she often picks up interesting looking specimens and then asks my dad about them via skype.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Drybean, my dad was a civil engineer and had to go to many sites to inspect, one of them being a big dam in our state which he designed. He saved a lot of beautiful rocks from them, and when he passed away I got them.

Has your dad given you some from his finds?

• Elraes Miller
    11 years ago

KKay...mine is the south pole. Have many historical books bought from NZ where the flights go out. Scott's expedition mostly, but am more than intrigued by their journals, lifestyle, activities indoors and out, what kept them busy and photos, etc. I met a historian there and also have blueprints of the quarters along with tons of photos from when they were living there. Scotts hut was what I believe to be the first modular home. It was shipped in groupings and they put it together within a few days. Have yet to find a source for this historic portion. Apologies, I'm off on a tangent.

Also like historical non fiction. At least my older sons are into military history and I learn so much from them. Plus on trips they give me space to go to historical homes on a whim.

Have always wanted to see the patent museum and models. So far no one cares.

• kkay_md
    11 years ago

Oh, my, technicolor! I got started on this polar kick when I saw "The Last Place on Earth" (based on the book by Roland Huntsford; in GB it was entitled "Scott and Amundsen"). My copy of the book is in tatters--I re-read it often. Blueprints? I swoon. I'm sure you heard about Shackleton's whiskey dug up from his hut?

Have you ever read "This Accursed Land" by Bickel? Highly recommend.

Off to paw through my books.

• nancybee_2010
    11 years ago

I have an interest in germs and diseases. I've read books about the plague, polio, AIDS, flu, yellow fever, etc. Not always with complete understanding, I must add!

• Elraes Miller
    11 years ago

Kay, thanks. Will have to read that book. A fun, off the wall one, is Mr. Chippy's Last Voyage. Story about a cat on Shackleton's last voyage. Full of pics and story of the voyage from the cat's view, wandering through all the cabins, science areas and kitchen. Yes "she" was real and on board and of course walked all over counters...so much for pure research.

Pal, you started something that has gone beyond...thanks as usual for your brain's creative thinking. I'd give anything to sit down with Kay and share stories.