SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
the_analyst

If it isn't one thing, it is something else.

the_analyst
15 years ago

Beware, the purpose of my post is to rant to people who I believe will understand and not think I'm absolutely insane. As I took a break from the 20 things I had to do today, I checked the phals to see if they needed to be watered. I gently pressed my finger in the medium a bit and out popped a black rot. Ugh. I immediatley unpotted the phal to find most of the roots were dead and that I needed to take immediate action. Of course, this is at 6:15 pm and Lowes (closest place for me to buy rooting hormorne) closes at 7 today. So, I raced over bought the rooting hormone, race back, take care of the phal. I also placed it in a smaller pot b/c I believe the pot it was in was too large. I then check the other phal and find a few black roots, but there were some healthy too. Do a few snips of the black rots and refreshed the medium (it was mostly sphag, and retained too much water in the environment I have it in).

Sometimes I ask why when I decided I needed a hobby, my simple idea of gardening turned into an addiction to orchids. Good thing I had Orchids for Dummies on hand, for instructions on saving the phal, especially since I felt like a dummy at the moment (and maybe still do a bit).

Sarah

Comments (51)