SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vacuumfreak

I bought a pastry bag, any helpful hints?

vacuumfreak
16 years ago

I just picked up a pastry bag. I've never used one before! It's a Farbarware with metal tips, nothing fancy but I'm going to try to have fun with it. I do NOT have very good coordination and my writing sucks as it is. However, my friend Sheila turns 30 on Tuesday and I'd like to decorate her red velvet cake instead of just frost it. What are some easy but pretty things to do with a pastry bag? I'd like to make a decorative rim around the circumference of the cake. I have food coloring so I can color some of the icing and write "Happy Birthday Sheila" in it. Should I try to do that with the regular icing, or maybe look for a marzipan recipe?

Tips on cleaning it would be appreciated. I was a dishwasher in a fine dining restaurant as a teenager, and the chefs used a pastry bag to plate the mashed potatoes. What a mess that thing was to clean! Also, how do you keep the top closed while TRYING to use the silly thing? I only want the icing to come out ONE end! When I get home, I can post the tip numbers that it came with if it helps the advice... I assume they are standard.

Thanks in advance for helping me to minimize the disaster that is about to happen in my kitchen.

Comments (11)