SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dcarch7

From New Delhi to Naples

Naan is cooked in a tandoor, or clay oven, from which tandoori cooking takes its name.

The heat for a tandoor is traditionally generated by a charcoal fire or wood fire, burning within the tandoor itself, thus exposing the food to radiant heat cooking, and hot-air convection cooking and direct conduction heating. Temperatures in a tandoor can approach 480�C (900�F).

So how do you make naan in a home oven that goes only to around 500 F?

I am sure there are many ways. Here is how I do it.

You can use any recipe to prepare the dough and there are many different recipes for you to try.

1. First I set the oven to maximum temperature.

2. Then I put a heavy thick cast iron frying pan on the stove to heat it up to red hot.

3. Place the shaped dough on the hot cast iron pan and immediately place the pan with the dough into the oven.

4. In about a minute or two, the naan is done.

5. Do the next one.

Obviously it is a very good idea to have heat insulated oven gloves to make naan this way.

After I have made naan many times this way, it occur to me that there is another traditional food which requires an oven just as hot, namely Neapolitan pizza.

Neapolitan pizza are also made in stone/clay/brick ovens around 900 degrees F.

Here is one that I made somewhat (no fresh basil in the kitchen) in the style of Neapolitan pizza, in the same method I have outlined above for making naan.

Neapolitan pizza is nice. It is small so you have no leftovers, and by definition, the shape does not have to be perfectly round.

dcarch

Naan

Neapolitan Pizza, upskirt view.

Comments (6)