SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
steelmagnolia2007

TY, solsthumper (eye-of-round leftovers)

steelmagnolia2007
16 years ago

Several weeks ago, someone posted asking for advice on cooking an eye-of-round roast. I responded with my 'high heat' method. Sol answered later, saying she thought slow was the way to go with this cut of meat. The pix she posted looked so mouth-watering that I decided to try her way next time.

Last night was 'next time', and it turned out to be fabulous!

Strangely, the roast was much bigger, but the time was right on. I think she said like a 2 or 3 lb. roast. The one I cooked was over 5 lbs. But, just to be safe, I checked it at the one-hour mark she'd suggested. It registered 120 degrees F on my digital thermometer, so I took it out of the oven and let it sit for 30 minutes. It was perfectly medium-rare.

As far as the 'crust' goes, I'd give a slight edge to the high-heat method. As far as tenderness and perfectly medium-rare roast, it was a toss-up. But there was one area where her method beat mine into the ground: juices! Under high temps, they tend to evaporate. The roast I cooked last night was *dripping*. Wonderful, wonderful juices! So, in appreciation to solsthumper (and for anyone else who might make this), here's a fab recipe for using the leftovers. From epicurious.com.

STEAK SANDWICHES

1 onion, peeled and sliced

2 T. unsalted butter, plus additional for bread

1 T. olive oil

6-8 oz. fresh button mushrooms, cleaned and sliced

1 clove garlic, minced

3/4 c. pan juices (fill out with beef broth if you don't have enough)

1-1/2 T. cream

3 T. ketchup

1 tsp. Dijon mustard

horseradish sauce, to taste (optional)

1 lb. cooked steak or roast, thinly sliced

1 loaf bread (something sturdy, like Italian or sourdough)

Heat 2 T. butter and 1 T. olive oil in skillet over medium heat. Add sliced onion. Cook, stirring frequently, until caramelized. (You can do to the soft, golden stage, or you can continue to cook until crisp, depending on what you like.)

Remove onions from skillet; reduce heat slightly, and cook mushrooms and garlic until shrooms are soft. Remove mushrooms to a plate.

Spread cut top of each break slice with butter; toast.

Add cream, ketchup, worcestershire sauce and mustard to skillet. Stir well; then add sliced roast and mushrooms mixture. Heat thoroughly.

Spread meat mixture ove toast; top with caramelized onions.

sm

Comment (1)