SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trianna_gw

Dismal results, 2008 winter sowing :-(

trianna
15 years ago

I am a Michigan Winter Sowing enthusiast wannabe and have read the posts in this forum for a number of years.

Last year due to a broken ankle and steep basement stairs I decided it was time to take the leap and focus on winter sowing. Taking advantage of willing helpers to place the containers outside, I planted 36 containers using purchased potting soil (Miracle Grow) and the tin plastic lidded cake pans (great sale @ .75) with holes in the top for ventilation and in the bottom for drainage.

My initial planting was in January and included (newly purchased) seeds from Ferry Morris including,

Salvias

Cosmos

Zinnias (multiple varieties)

Marigolds (multiple varieties)

Asylum

Floss flower

Larkspur

Petunias

Ice plant

ÂECT

In early April when I had previously experienced results with my limited sowings, nothing had sprouted, not one tiny little sprout.

Unwilling to go without my cherished blooms I re-planted many of the containers from the seeds I had left.

Most containers in the second planting sprouted well but between the rain and heat, the results were worse than dismal. If left open during the day they were beaten down by the rain or when kept covered they scorched, shriveled up and died from the heat.

So I ask, regarding the January planting. Did I plant too early for winter sowing were the seed types incorrect? What could have happened?

Regarding the second planting in April, What do the rest of you do to protect your babies from the elements?

Unfortunately, I work during the day and donÂt have the ability to tend the containers based on the whims of our Michigan spring time weather which can heat up quickly and/or pour rain through out the day.

With winter settling in, my thoughts are turning to the eye candy my beds will hold in 2009.

Any suggestions that can help to not repeat last yearÂs results would be tremendously appreciated.

Trianna

Comments (23)

Sponsored