SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caflowerluver

Corned beef and cabbage???

caflowerluver
14 years ago

Do you like it? I really do. DH and DS are not wild about it. I only get to have it once a year on St. Patrick's Day, though we are having it this Sunday because DH will be out of town on St. Pat's. I make it in the slow cooker with carrots and potatoes. I have made Irish Stew with Guinness stout instead in the past for a change, but I prefer Corned Beef. Really like leftovers for Corned Beef Hash.

Clare

Comments (22)

• caliloo
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I love love love it. We have it several times a year and I make it with corned beef, cabbage, onions, carrots, parsnips, potatoes and beets cooked separate. I just bought my Corned Beef today fo St Pats and am salivating just thinking about it.

Alexa

• althetrainer
    14 years ago

I used to eat it when living in Hawaii. Didn't hate it or love it; it was just a common dish that we ate all the time.

Half way across the world in England, hubby's mom used to make corned beef and cabbage for him when he was a kid. I never understood why he hated it so much until today.

We went to an Asian store this morning and we saw some canned corned beef -- that's what his mom used in her dish. Hubby had this disgusting look on his face and said, "I can't believe people are still selling these!". No wonder he hates it so much! The poor guy! LOL

Al

• Related Discussions

LOOKING for: Corned beef and cabbage recipe

Q

Comments (15)
    Sometimes I like to take the corned beef out of the water for the last 1/2 hour or so of cooking, put it in a baking pan & top it with a glaze made with my apricot jam and brown sugar. It sort of "firms up" the meat a bit, and the glaze gets sticky and browns a bit. Yum. I am originally from the East Coast, and wouldn't think of having "boiled dinner" without potatoes, carrots, celery, boilin' onions and cabbage. Some people even add beets, but I haven't tried that...seems like they'd dye everything pink. And I must, must, must have both horseradish sauce and whole grain mustard with "boiled dinner".
    ...See More

That corned beef and cabbage thread

Q

Comments (1)
    I made Irish Grinders last night with some corned beef I had in the freezer. I grabbed an extra one just in case around St. Paddy's Day but I did see some in my local grocery store last week.
    ...See More

Ever serve corned beef with anything besides cabbage and potatoes?

Q

Comments (5)
    So why not stop thinking of it as "corned beef" which is a traditional food served with specific ingredients. Call it pickeled beef, or brined or cured. What goes well with salty? I'm guessing it's a brisket? Is it rich from fat or lean from removing the fat? Acid comes to mind. Like zucchini "noodles" or broccoli slaw dressed with lemon juice and herbs. (Along the same lines as cabbage or sauerkraut but different.) Something sweet, like roasted sliced potatoes or sweet potatoes. (Along the same lines as the roll for the Reuben or whipped potatoes.) Something acid and sweet, like bread and butter pickles, or Japanese cucumber or daikon salad. Something green and refreshing like peas. Something sharp and earthy like parsnip puree.
    ...See More

Your Favorite, T&T Corned Beef & Cabbage/Boiled Dinner

Q

Comments (15)
    Not an expert, but what makes it pink is the "corning"... a several day soak in sort of a brine. I don't think it technically even has to be done under refrigeration, but then again, not an expert. If hunka beef, no matter what cut, has not gone thru that "corning" process, would certainly turn out gray after just boiling... and probably wouldn't remotely taste like CB. I have tried to find out if a cut, other than brisket, can be used to corn. Not brisket is NOT corned beef unless it's corned... just a flat-ish cut of beef with LONG fibers running the length. Perfect for something slow... like simmering in a pot, in crock pot, or low and slow on a grill. I buy a corned beef, all ready to cook, in vac seals with that dinky packet of spices included. I add more garlic, a few more bay leaves and maybe a little more pickling spices. Then simmer on stove top till fork tender. Sometimes stop a bit short of fork tender, rub with spice mix for pastrami, and finish in oven. Chunked up cabbage and potatoes go into the liquid after the meat comes out till "done". I like a spicy mustard to dip the corned beef in. Like butter on potatoes and cabbage. Like a drizzle of vinegar on cabbage. Nothing fancy.
    ...See More
  • dgkritch
    14 years ago

Love it! Mine's in the freezer awaiting St. Pats Day! Cabbage in the fridge. C'mon 17th.

I do mine in the crockpot too. Usually just the meat and cabbage, then serve with homemade bread.

Simple. Satisfying.

And sandwiches the next day! Yum.

Deanna

• Marigene
    14 years ago

Love it, just bought some flat cut, today...we don't care for the point cut.

• doucanoe
    14 years ago

I have never made it, but have had it in restaurants and I liked it.

Now if someone were to give me explicit instructions on how to make a really good CB&C, I would definitely try it at home! LOL

Linda

• arley_gw
    14 years ago

For you pressure cooker aficionados out there:

Corned Beef with Cabbage and Potatoes

A pressure cooker makes this traditional St. Paddys day meal much easier. Ordinarily, a corned beef brisket would take 3 or 4 hours to cook. Here itÂs about a third of that, and most of that time youÂre not having to do anything. ÂFrom a meal-planning standpoint, this is a very convenient dish. A packaged corn beef brisket stays good in the fridge for several weeks, and a cabbage has a long storage life as wellÂso you can have those items available in your fridge for cooking at the last minute. You can make it with just cabbage, or throw in some root vegetables like potatoes and carrots. Either way, itÂs ridiculously easy and good. The leftovers (if there are any!!!) make excellent sandwiches or hash.

4 cups water
    2 large bay leaves
    3 to 5 lb corned beef brisket
    4 lbs potatoes, scrubbed
    1 small (2 ½ lb) green cabbage

Put the water in a 6 qt or larger pressure cooker. Add the bay leaves. Put corned beef in pressure cooker, fatty side up, along with any juices from the package and the contents of any spice pack that may have been packed with the beef. DonÂt worry if the brisket doesnÂt fit on the bottom; just let one side point upwards along the side of the cooker. (ItÂs going to shrink a huge amount, probably 50%.) Arrange the potatoes on top of the beef.
    Lock the lid in place. Over high heat, bring the pressure cooker up to high pressure and adjust the burner to keep it just at high pressure. Pressure cook it on high for about 55-60 minutes for a 3 pound brisket, 65 minutes for a 4 pound brisket, or 70-75 minutes for a 5 pound brisket. Then allow the pressure to go down naturally (that is, donÂt vent the cooker or put it under cold water)Âthat might take as long as 15 minutes. During that time, trim the cabbage: remove the outer layer or two of leaves, cut the cabbage in half (pole to pole, not through the equator). Cut the dense core out of the stem end of each half and discard. Cut the halves in thirds lengthwise (along meridians, not across the equator). Once the pressure is down, open the cooker and remove the potatoes to a platter, covering with aluminum foil to keep warm. Put the brisket to a platter, fatty side up. If there is less than 1 cup of liquid in the cooker, add sufficient water to make 1 cup. Put the cabbage in the cooker, put the top on, and return the cooker to highÂonce on high, cook for 3 minutes. You can bring the pressure down quickly now, either by venting or putting the cooker in the sink and running cold water over it. Open the cooker and scoop out the cabbage, allowing it to drain, and place it on the platter.

DonÂt try to carve the corned beef until it has rested for a whileÂitÂll shred to bits. Remove a lot of the surface fat from the beef by scraping it with a blunt instrument like a teaspoon. Carve by starting at one corner, carving the corned beef across the grainÂotherwise itÂll be stringy.

Guinness stout goes very well with this.

Variations: instead of water, use stout or beer or a combination of any of those three liquids.

• lindac
    14 years ago

I cook mine in a Le Cruset Dutch oven.
    I prefer the point cut because there is that large area of lean meat.
    I rinse the meat and put it and that packet of mustard seed and crushed bay leaves into the pot add water to cover.....and put over a low fire until it's just barely simmering.
    Then I add a couple of small onions, quartered, about 3/4 of a pound of carrots ( NOT those little baby things) cut into 2 inch chunks and let it simmer for about an hour, then I add about 4 medium sized red potatoes, scrubbed and quartered and simmer until the potatoes can be easily pierced with a fork.
    Remove some of the liquid, and put into a separate pan and add wedged of cabbage and cook rapidly for about 10 minutes....I can't stand mushy cabbage!
    Remove and slice the meat and arrange on a platter and serve with a sweet hot mustard.
    Linda C

• User
    14 years ago

I went back and read my Blog St. Patrick's Day post from last year, just to remind myself why I'm not making a Corn Beef and Cabbage dinner again this year.

I like both corn beef and cabbage, but for some reason this dinner really doesn't do it for me. Thankfully Moe feels the same way so I'll have to find something else to prepare for St. Patricks Day this year.

Ann

• annie1992
    14 years ago

I also like corned beef and cabbage and have it several times a year. My girls LOVE corned beef, but I really like the corned beef hash that I make with the leftovers better than I like the original meal.

Marigene, I agree, I like the flat cut better than the point where the fat is more interspersed through the meat, the flat cut also holds together better, so it's nicer to slice.

I usually do mine in the crockpot, because I am normally working and that way dinner is waiting for me when I get home.

I like it by itself or with a nice mustard glaze, although I usually make it plain because of that aforementioned hash.

Oh, and I nearly always have mashed potatoes with it, and later I have colcannon with the leftover potatoes and cabbage.

Annie

• shaun
    14 years ago

My mother made the best corned beef I've ever had. It was so tender you could cut it with a fork, never did it shred, it cut like a meatloaf. Honest.

She just cooked it on top of the stove for however long the package said. I've always wondered what I am doing wrong.

Maybe my simmer isnt hard enough.

Arley, I think I'll try your method in the PC this year.

Only problem is my husband and son do not like this so you guys will all have to come for dinner. OK?

• mrsmoosepants
    14 years ago

I'm not really sure if this is technically corned beef, but I buy brisket, we tried the round and didn't like it, put it in my slow cooker, cover with water, and add 1 tbsp of pickling spices to every 3 lbs of beef. I let that cook for 8-12 hrs, or until it's fall apart tender. I cook cabbage, carrots, potatoes & onions in a separate pot, and I put some pickling spice in a tea ball.

My family loves it, and so do I. I bought the largest cut I could find & the smallest, 1 for family & 1 for leftovers :)

I think technically corned beef is supposed to be brisket brined for a few days, then cooked. I don't do that.

• rachelellen
    14 years ago

My local store has the point cuts on sale this week for $1.28 per pound, so I bought 4 good sized hunks today. Since it is a brand I am unfamiliar with, I'm making one tonight so we can see if it's good enough for me to go back and buy a few more hunks. The rest of the year, it runs $3-$4 a pound and I just won't spend that much on it, considering the shrinkage rate. Also, you almost never get the point cut around here, just the leaner flat cut (and I think they even trim that!) I guess lots of folks like lean corned beef, but I've just got to have some fat on mine! It will be in a pot on a long, slow simmer while we go walking in the hills, and when we come home I'll add the carrots, potatoes, and celery, then cabbage later on. Yum. With my home made whole grain mustard and yogurt-horseradish sauce...maybe a bit of fresh nutmeg on the cabbage. Wish I had some turnips, but this time of year the ones in the store look pretty sad, so maybe I'll add some cauliflower instead.

(Yes, I bought dark rye and have my kraut for Reubens with the leftover!!!)

• wizardnm
    14 years ago

Just returned from a shopping trip. One of the things I picked up at the meat market is a beautiful 5# flat cut corned beef. We make boiled dinner several times a year.

Linda, I'd be happy to walk you through it. It's easy and so good. So go to the grocery and buy some corned beef, carrots, onions, potatoes, and a head of cabbage. I'll be home Wednesday.... I even think I still have your phone number!

Nancy

• triciae
    14 years ago

We also have a flat cut in the fridge waiting for St. Pat's Day along with the other usual suspects...onions, carrots, cabbage, beets, potatoes. As Annie, we enjoy the first dinner but our fav is the hash next morning.

/tricia

• JoanM
    14 years ago

Nancy, can you post your stove top method too? I was trying to figrue out Linda C's method and hers looks like 1 1/2 - 2 hours total?

I tried one in the oven last year but I think I want to try one with everything in the pot. How long do they take to get really tender on the stove top?

• wizardnm
    14 years ago

Joanm, I cook my corned beef for about three hours, sometimes a little longer.

If it comes with the separate packet of spices then I rinse it, put it into a large dutch oven and cover with water. The corned beef I bought today has the spices on the meat already, so I won't rinse it. I always add additional spices, cracked pepper, allspice, dried thyme and a couple of bay leaves. Probably about a teaspoon of each....I don't measure.

Bring to a good boil, skimming any foam that comes to the top. Cover with a lid and simmer 2-3 hours, sometimes longer.
    I check it with a fork and when I can feel it starting to soften, I add my carrots. I wait for about 10 minutes, then add sliced onions and potatoes. Wait about 10 more minutes then remove the beef to a platter and add cabbage wedges to the pot. Give it another 10 minutes or so. Meanwhile I slice the corned beef across the grain. Remove the vegetables to a large bowl or place on the meat platter if it's large enough.

Enjoy! The leftovers are wonderful, we look forward to good Reuben sandwiches.

When buying corned beef, don't forget that it shrinks by about 1/3.

Nancy

• Marigene
    14 years ago

I do mine basically like Nancy, sometimes I simmer it for 4 hours, then I wrap it well in foil and put it in the oven for about an hour. Cooking it for an hour or hour and a half would never be enough for me; I want it where it melts in your mouth, not where you would have to chew it forever!

• camochef
    14 years ago

After doing corned beef in a crock pot or slow-cooker for the last 37-38 years. I decided to try it in my new enameled cast iron Doufeu this year.
    I took a flat cut corned beef, trimmed off that layer of fat on the bottom and placed the very lean piece in the doufeu, added the inclosed spice pack and covered it with water.
    Brought it to a boil, and then reduced the heat to where it was simmmering and placed the lid on it and added cold water to the lid.
    It simmered for a little over 3 1/2 hours on the stovetop while I prepared a fresh batch of cole slaw and a few side dishes.
    Upon slicing it cross grain, I found it to be the best tasting, most tender piece of corned beef we ever made. I can't say if it was the doufeu or cut of meat itself, but I can say I've never had a better piece of corned beef in my life, and not the least bit greasy!
    Upon taking a bite or two, Mrs Camo said, "we'll have to pick up a couple more of these, it's really good!"
    I was in complete agreement.
    Camo

• JoanM
    14 years ago

So it sounds like it will cook like pot roast on the stove top. The more you cook... the better your chances for melt in your mouth :->

I picked up two pieces at Costco today. I hope to fit them almost side by side in my biggest pot. I guess I can get them started at lunch time, if I take a late lunch.

I have a taste for it now since I sampled at costco. That was a tease.

• angelaid
    14 years ago

Mine's simmering on the stove today. Can't wait for dinner tonight. I should cook two at a time. One of the few things I like leftover, but I rarely even have enough leftovers to make corned beef hash. And there are only two of us! LOL

• doucanoe
    14 years ago

Nancy, I'll have to see if I can manage to pick up a piece of corned beef this week.

If I do, I'll gladly accept your assistance!

Linda

• lakeguy35
    14 years ago

Okay folks, I've never made corned beef and cabbage. LOL I picked up a five pound point yesterday for $1.27 a pound. The flat cuts were four something and I didn't want to spend that much for my first try. I hope the point doesn't disappoint me.

I'm torn between using the crockpot or cooking the meat the night before and saving the liquid to do the veggies in the next night. What do y'all think? Also, dropped five bucks for some caraway seeds for soda bread...no raisins or anything in mine.... just plain.

If I go with the crockpot for the meat how long? The package says to cover with water and simmer for about and hour per pound if I do it on the stove. The brand name is Blarney Stone..LOL.. Corned Beef and it is made and packaged in Los Angeles.

The main reason I'm taking this on is I want to make homemade reuben sandwiches for the first time next weekend....that's another post though. MIght try hash too as I've only had it out of can or at diners....that probably came from a can too. LOL

David