SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
uxbridge_gw

Central A/C Unit Help

Uxbridge
11 years ago

Hello,

I've just purchased and moved into a new home (3,106 sq. ft.) north of Toronto, Canada, that has:

- central air roughed-in (all ductwork is existing)
- south facing exposure with lots of windows (mainly south/north - not direct sunlight)
- very good insulation
- cellular binds on windows that also provide some insulation

Our summers here don't go much higher than 30+ degrees celsius at hottest points - and even when it does get that hot, it's usually for a day or so. Our warm weather can go from June to September, at best.

I recently went to a home show and was recommended some of the more recognized brands: Carrier, Lennox, Trane and York. I was told that I will need either a 3-ton or 3.5-ton unit. It was explained to me that the higher the SEER, the more efficient/less energy consumption the unit. Of course, as the SEERs increase, so does the price.

I am familiar with Lennox because the builder of my former home (half the size of new one) installed that brand. In 8 years, I had no problems/complaints with it but I also don't know any details about it like model/seer, etc.

The estimate I got for a Carrier unit was the lowest. Trane was the most expensive. One person I spoke to said York has the toughest construction (where coils are housed).

I'm hoping that someone(s) has some advice, recommendations for me. I'd greatly appreciate the help!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting