SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
theroselvr

Recycling. How much do you do?

theroselvr
14 years ago

I was watching one of those green shows; they followed a young couple; seeing how much trash they make and how much of it was recycling plus stuff that shouldn't have gone with regular trash.

In my town, they recycle a lot. I always have a full recycling can, yet my neighbors trash is almost always over-flowing. I usually have 1 or 2 33 gallon bags in mine, some weeks we make only one. It makes me wonder how much of their trash could have gone into the recycling bucket.

My kitchen has a trash can pull out. I keep 2 paper bags in it, one for newspaper, the other paper. Anything that is not coated with wax gets broken down and thrown in the paper. I used to pull the plastic window out of the pasta boxes but my new town will take it with the plastic. My new town will even take pizza boxes.

Things like egg cartons go in the compost as do toilet paper rolls.

I haven't thrown batteries in the trash in years. We fill an old tupperware container, then bring it to the town recycling.

My peeve is how things like toys and electronics are packed. I usually cut the plastic up, break the styrofoam. I wish my town would start recycling the packaging.

Plastic grocery bags are something I try to stay away from; but I'm guilty of having too many. I sorted them last week and will look into recycling them at a store. It's rare that I throw them in the trash. I've bought the green bags and have been pretty happy with how well they hold up.

I take packing peanuts to a local shipper. I save up shipping packaging until I have enough to drop off.

I feel we are doing a decent job recycling & wish more people near me would too.

Do you feel you recycle more then your neighbors?

Comments (22)