SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print

shhhhhhi---- Don't tell anyone. Not exactly sushi :-)

I didn't have anything to make sushi, except tilapia and shrimps in the freezer.

dcarch

Comments (9)

• Lars
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I like the pattern you made in the wasabi, but that seems like an awful lot of wasabi!! I have some chopsticks that are almost identical to those, along with matching chopstick rests.

It looks like you added black sesame seeds to the rice - I'll have to try that. I guess this was for two people, since you have two saki cups and two pairs of chopsticks.

Very pretty!

Lars

• jimster
    14 years ago

Another stunning design! I don't know of anyone else who is making food in this style. It's almost umm... architectural. And your photographic style is compatible. Very nice.

Jim

• althetrainer
    14 years ago

Nice presentation! To me, that's sushi! They look delicious!

LOL Publickman, the wasabi was the first thing that I noticed too... Wonder who could eat that much of wasabi? Definitely not me! :-0

Al

• dirtgirl07
    14 years ago

You have so much patience! Again, beautiful colors.

• triciae
    14 years ago

Very nice! I'd love to see what you would do with a large canvas, a set of brushes, & a few pots of paint? I can easily envision you painting a stunningly beautiful still life & my mind would expect to discover an orchid within the composition. That's a beautiful meal you've prepared. What strikes me the most with your plating is your sense of cleverly hidden simplicity. Lots of detail. Lots of color to draw the eyes around the plate. Lots of contrasting textures. But always the clean, simple use of good negative space. It's too nice to eat!

/tricia

• jimster
    14 years ago

When I first looked at the wasabi I thought it was a pad of nopal, thorns still on (Yilkes! Sharp wasabi!). Then I thought it was wasabi made to look like nopal. Then I understood that I was seeing indentations in the wasabi, not thorns or thorn-like objects.

Sushi chefs often serve a generous lump of wasabi. It's OK. You don't need to eat the whole thing. :-)

Jim

• jessicavanderhoff
    14 years ago

That sure is pretty! I made sushi for dinner too. Had I thought of making tilapia sushi, I wouldn't have driven all the way to the Asian market for eel :-P

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    Original Author
    14 years ago

"Posted by publickman -----I like the pattern you made in the wasabi, but that seems like an awful lot of wasabi!! I have some chopsticks that are almost identical to those, along with matching chopstick rests. It looks like you added black sesame seeds to the rice - I'll have to try that. I guess this was for two people, since you have two saki cups and two pairs of chopsticks. Very pretty! Lars"

Thanks, Lars. Thats not a lot of wasabi, because I had another dish that night. Yes, a friend came by and I had to come up with something interesting.

"Posted by jimster -----Another stunning design! I don't know of anyone else who is making food in this style. It's almost umm... architectural. And your photographic style is compatible. Very nice. Jim"

Thanks, Jim. Interesting, architectural? Licensed to cook? :-)

"Posted by althetrainer -------- Nice presentation! To me, that's sushi! They look delicious! LOL Publickman, the wasabi was the first thing that I noticed too... Wonder who could eat that much of wasabi? Definitely not me! :-0 Al "

Thanks, Al. I didnt even show the other dish that night. Turkey roll! even less sushi like. :-)

"Posted by dirtgirl07 ----- You have so much patience! Again, beautiful colors."

Thanks, dirtgirl. It really didnt take much time at all.

" Posted by triciae --------------Very nice! I'd love to see what you would do with a large canvas, a set of brushes, & a few pots of paint? I can easily envision you painting a stunningly beautiful still life & my mind would expect to discover an orchid within the composition. That's a beautiful meal you've prepared. What strikes me the most with your plating is your sense of cleverly hidden simplicity. Lots of detail. Lots of color to draw the eyes around the plate. Lots of contrasting textures. But always the clean, simple use of good negative space. It's too nice to eat! /tricia "

Wow! Thanks tricia. You are embarrassing me. I just want to encourage others to explore the other dimension of food enjoyment beyond taste. BTW, I see you are trained in the arts.

"Posted by jimster ------ When I first looked at the wasabi I thought it was a pad of nopal, thorns still on (Yilkes! Sharp wasabi!). Then I thought it was wasabi made to look like nopal. Then I understood that I was seeing indentations in the wasabi, not thorns or thorn-like objects. Sushi chefs often serve a generous lump of wasabi. It's OK. You don't need to eat the whole thing. :-) Jim"

I am thinking of making nopal someday. Real wasabi is very expensive. Mostly I think you are getting some green horse radish nowadays

"Posted by jessicavanderhoff ------That sure is pretty! I made sushi for dinner too. Had I thought of making tilapia sushi, I wouldn't have driven all the way to the Asian market for eel :-P"

Thanks, Jessica. Sometime you have to be flexible and fake it.

Dcarch

The other dish, turkey roll

• foodonastump
    14 years ago

Ok I feel better knowing there was a second course ;) Both look great. I'm a wasabi freak - I'd probably go through three of those pats with that plate of sushi. And yes I might well be bright red and scratching my scalp, but that's the way I like it. I'm embarrassing to go out for sushi with.