SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arizonajosh

icf home hvac sizing phoenix arizona

arizonajosh
15 years ago

I am building a home in Phoenix, Arizona. It is a remodel, but most of the walls are built out of ICF Construction. The existing walls have a 4" Foam Retrofit Product. All new dual pane windows. I have also installed Radiant Barrier in the attic. I am putting radiant barrier on top of the blown in insulation and wrapping the ductwork with Radiant Barrier. There are basically no West Facing windows. The home is 2500 square feet.

I downloaded HVAC Calc Software and did a Manual J Calculation on the home. I was conservative (aka scared of undersizing) with my R Values. I did the calculations on the whole house and room by room. Both times I cam up with a 2.5 ton system. 24,000 BTUH of total heat gain including Latent Heat Gain.

HVAC guys have been trying to scare me away from going with a system this small. The last guy I spoke with is trying to push me toward two 2 ton systems (4 ton total) which seems like too much cooling to me. He is also telling me that the 2.5 ton CFM of 1000 will be too small for the home.

Just to make sure I was calculating correctly I did the same calculation on my current home. 1450 Square feet of slump block and came up with a 3 ton system which is exactly what the home has. Incidentally, most AC guys feel this system is too small, but it works fine.

Are there any experts out there that can clarify the CFM issue for me? Do I need more CFM even though I don't need the extra cooling capacity?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Comments (8)