SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dave_gillingham

Water Cooling Air Source Heat Pump

Dave_Gillingham
10 years ago

I have somewhat of a multi-faceted question/issue but all relating to the fact that last spring we purchased a four level side split with three bedrooms and a finished basement in (somewhat northern) Ontario (approx. 2400 sq ft'ish).

The cost associated with ductwork and the associated refinishing and effects on the overall aesthetics of the house has pretty much steered us clear of a central HVAC system. Nevertheless, our recent electrical bill of nearly $500 for one month has us looking seriously into our options.

Early last summer, primarily for cooling purposes, we had a Trane air source heat pump (don't have the model number with me at the moment but I believe it was a 17.5 SEER/ 8 +/- HSPF) installed with one indoor unit near the ceiling in the stair well of the upper floor. I am almost certain that the HP has the capacity for more of these units but that we decided to start with one and see how it went. We were quite satisfied with its cooling performance as well as the fact that it could produce some heat in the early fall days.

My first question, is whether I can use water to spray onto the condenser to assist in cooling and if that would in turn result in any increase of efficiency for the HP. I'm pretty sure the water itself shouldn't hurt since the condenser is outside and exposed to the elements. There is no real issue with availability of water (see below).

My second question relates to the fact that we need a more cost effective heat source. At the moment our primary heat comes from electric baseboard heaters with a back-up of a wood stove in the basement (which has been pretty much burning steadily since November) and an older gas fireplace on the main floor which doesn't even have a blower and as such pretty much only inefficiently provides radiant heat for the family room where it sits.

Meanwhile, we discovered after we moved in that our backyard has a fairly substantial water table at about 10-12 feet below the surface. Many of the neighbors, including ourselves, have a sand point (link below if you need clarification as to what this is) in our back yard and per one of them, it allows for a substantial flow of water, even using a 2" pipe only about 16 feet deep, enough so that he fully opened all of the numerous valves for his sprinkler system and garden hose and left it that way for several hours and the water kept coming.

What can you tell me about ground water heat pumps? I mean, how deep of a well would I likely need and how far away should the waste well need to be? How much does it cool the water and is there any concern with the waste water freezing? How much does the supply water temperature affect efficiency? I really don't think I would need to go very deep at all to provide the 1.5 gal/ton of heat which I read somewhere but I don't recall that source mention the initial temperature which I imagine would be significant, no?

Here is a link that might be useful: Explanation of Sand Point

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath