SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
neetsiepie

FIL has passed

neetsiepie
14 years ago

It was a very, very tough day. We waited until DH's uncle arrived, but he didn't get there till around 5pm. We'd gotten to the hospital around 9 am.

We had the ventilator removed around 8:30 and FIL passed a few, painful (for us) minutes later. However, the hospital was wonderful. They've got fantastic comfort care...great staff, they brought in a woman who played the harp in the room with us...just wonderful staff.

So, tomorrow the whole family is going to come to our house for a gathering. We're not going to be able to get to FIL's place till Thursday or Friday. I've made the arrangements with a funeral home, and found out a lot of information on what to do (thanks for the link!!). Eventually we're going to have a memorial service, and we want a Native medicine man or woman to say a prayer for us. My FIL has some native blood, and he's always been fascinated with the Native people and nature. So we'll celebrate & honor his life and scatter his ashes in a forest. None of us is up to that yet. I'm just too exhausted and DH is numb.

I've learned to know my limits, so I did accept my mom's offer to come and help out tomorrow. Just will have another very busy day...and then tackle FIL's home. He was basically indigent, and there are no assets to speak of. Just tons and tons of junk. However, there are some gems in the mess...it'll be a treasure hunt. We're going to sell off whatever is saleable, and give the proceeds to his daughter, so she has something to live on. DH just wants a couple of keepsake things from his dad, BIL hasn't specifically noted anything he'd like.

So we're not expecting to find $20 bills in between the pages of magazines. He only had SSI, and no life insurance, savings accounts...not even any car insurance premium refunds, since he cancelled his car insurance when his car quit running. But he does have some trinkets he's gathered up over the years that will bring in a couple thousand dollars from an estate sale.

Again, I can't thank you all enough for your kind thoughts, prayers and words. DH also thanks 'those computer decorator ladies'.

Comments (18)