SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
neetsiepie

Another tough weekend

neetsiepie
14 years ago

Yesterday I went to DS's new place and just as we were enjoying his new backyard deck, his GF came running to us crying that there was a dying cat in the garage. I will spare the horrific details, but I drove the poor thing to the emergency vet, praying she could be saved, but it was not to be. I paid for them to euthanize her to save her from further pain, and cried the entire way home. Needless to say, I didn't sleep well last night.

So today, I was planning to get some serious housework done (it's been ridiculously hot here and the temps have finally come down). About 8 am DH gets a call...his sister sobbing...his dad was discovered blue and barely breathing. The paramedics were performing CPR and said it didn't look good.

We called BIL, and 30 minutes later he showed at our house and the 3 of us headed to the hospital, about 1.5 hrs away. Thank goodness for cell phones, we were able to keep tabs. By the time we got to the hospital, they were diligently working on FIL, and had him breathing. They ended up putting him in a coma and have him currently on ice, to bring down his body temp to preserve his heart. He had a heart attack, and we do not know how serious it is at this point. We're not sure if he's sustained brain damage or just how badly damaged his heart is. They inserted 2 stents and told us he had a major blockage.

He had triple by-pass about 15 years ago, and stents inserted again about 8 years ago. But he's not been under the care of a cardiologist, and not even seeing a physician regularly.

So after a very, very long day at the hospital, we finally came home and are going to bed. SIL is staying at the hospital (she lives with FIL) and we're going back tomorrow afternoon. They told us they hope to start warming him back up and within 48 hours he 'should' be out of the coma. But we still don't have any idea of the prognosis. We missed talking directly to the doctor, so got the info from the nurses at this point. We know that he's safer now, in the ICU than he was last night at this time, but still...

There is a lot more drama going on that I'm just too emotionally exhausted to talk about right now. I do not want to talk on a phone again for a while, that's for sure.

So, please, keep my FIL in your prayers. And, please, send me your positive energies...I'm the rock in this family (not my choice, let me tell you!). My DH is a wreck, and the rest of his family is in deep denial of what might happen if he doesn't pull through and walk out the door on his own accord.

Sometimes I wish that I didn't have to be an adult.

Comments (25)