SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daft_punk

Humidifier options

17 years ago

Hi all...

The recent cold snap has dried my home considerably. I'm considering some sort of whole-house humidification system. A console or room humidifier takes up too much space.

I figure a duct-based system will do its job and be out of the way, as well. The question is, which type of system would be best for my situation.

We live in an 1100 square foot log cabin. All exterior facing walls are log. All interior walls and ceilings are varnished tongue-and-groove pine. I've R38 insulation in the attic. Windows are single-pane with storms. The home is not drafty, yet I would not call it "tight".

We've an 88,000 BTU oil-fired forced air lowboy furnace. One branch duct exits the side of the supply plenum. The remaining branches come off of the trunk duct.

The furnace is completely off from 22:00 to 05:30 and 07:00 to 16:30 on weekdays. On weekends its off from 23:00 to 08:00 and 12:00 to 16:00. According to the electronic thermostat, the furnace has an average run-time of thirty hours a week.

I'm not sure which type of humidifier would be better for my situation - bypass or steam.

For a bypass type humidifier, I'm looking at the Desert Spring. It's a plenum-mounted, rotating-disc type. My primary concerns for this option are...

- Has the furnace enough on-time for the bypass humidifier to do its job?

- Will the the amount of warm air used to heat it significantly reduce the efficiency of my system?

- Will the "dry" humidity coming through the supply shorten the life of my filters or heat exchanger?

The alternative I'm considering is a steam humidifier. My concerns for this option are...

- In a typical resivoir type, one branch duct on the plenum will be left out. Will this be a problem?

- Do they make a steam humidifier that attaches directly to the plenum instead of the trunk duct, and does it work well?

- Will this provide more significantly more humidity than a bypass type?

- Does the heating elements use enough power to be "felt" on the electric bill?

So which of these options is better, and why?

Thanks for the help!

Marco

Comment (1)