SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jerry_nj

Replacement Thermostat for Heat Pump

jerry_nj
15 years ago

My heat pump has a three speed fan (lowest is for circulation only and is controlled by a simple on/off switch) and a two speed compressor. It also hast two stages (5KWATT each) of resistive Auxiliary/Emergency heat.

The 15 year old thermostat works fine, and is a digital with a key pad input.

I would like to install a newer thermostat that would provide more functions including staged warm-up from a set back night time temperature when in heating mode. That is I'd like to defeat the auxiliary resistive heat from cutting in as it does if I demand too great a heat increase in one step.

I see Honeywell selling thermostats for heat pumps and the bubble wrap package talkes about handling auxiliary heat as well as multi-stage heating/cooling. Unfortunately I can not find any detailed information on how/what the Honeywell provides.

My current thermostat has a 5 wire DC interface to the microprocess/logic board in the heat pump cabinet.

Y1 is "on" (whatever that means, must be a logic level) for 1st stage heating, it is joined by Y2 being "on" for second stage heating, and W is also "on" for third stage heating, this is the kick-in of the first 5KW resistive heating strip. It somehow goes to the stage four, the second 5KW resistive heating strip without any further signals from the thermostat. It also has outputs O and G, for first and second stage cooling, respectively. The thermostat does not have any internal batteries, or if it does, they've held up for 15 years and the owner manual doesn't say anything about their replacement. I assume it gets power on another lead from the heat pump cabinet. Even the installer's guide is silent on this point.

What's up, is this a thermostat "standard", or is my heat pump equipped with a proprietary control interface.

The make of my heat pump is a Water Furnace Geothermal, Premier AT Series.

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio