SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mcgregor287287

Whole house fan dilemma

mcgregor287287
16 years ago

Hi everyone,

I live in a 2400 square foot ranch, built in 1950 so the ceilings are 7.5 ft high, except in a family room and small entry addition where the ceilings are vaulted. Other than the kitchen open to the family room the house is very sectioned off with 3 long hallways. The other catch here is that the kids have a game room over the garage for an additional 350 sq ft. This room is accessed through stairs off the new family room and entry way, there is a railing on the entryway side, so with the vaulted ceiling there it is fairly open to the room upstairs. Okay, the reason for all the background is that we are thinking of installing a whole house fan. I don't know with the size of the house, if we should go with two fans. And more importantly, we really have no access or attic space over the vaulted ceilings or the room over the garage.

I know you are supposed to put whole house fans at the highest ceiling point, but that isn't possible. Does anyone know if we put a fan in a hallway ceiling right next to the entry way with the vaulted ceiling, will it pull the air out of those rooms with vaulted ceilings (only 11.5 ft high), and down from the upstairs over the garage? And since the house is pretty sectioned off, would you recommend two fans? I figure if I have to, I could keep the door closed upstairs and put a small a/c window unit in the playroom if that would help the fan to not overwork to draw from the two vaulted rooms on the main level.

Any experiences, ideas or suggestions would be a great help.

Thanks!

Comments (2)