SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joslin99

How long might my boiler last?

joslin99
12 years ago

Hi everyone! I have a home built in 1900 into which a 2 pipe steam system was retrofit in the 20's. Other than the boiler which is a Burnham the system is original. The Burnham boiler was installed in 1985 and we had it inspected and a new water cut-off thingy (where it turns the boiler off if it is empty) installed in 2002. We routinely add and draw water out of the system to drain rust and yuck when the system runs in the winter but do nothing in the summer maintenance-wise.

When we had it looked at in 2002 the guy said that it looked like new and there wasn't much we needed to do to maintain such a system. Here it is 10 years later and I thought I'd check back in with some of you who may know and ask if there is anything we should be doing to prolong the life of our system.

This has cropped up on me b/c a plumber was here for something else and he told me that if we did have to get a new boiler we could no longer get one that worked when the power was out as ours now does since it is a termopile? thermocouple? type. That is of great concern to me since we usually have power outages in the winter when snow and ice down the lines (I live in Mass.)

Comments (10)