SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosemaryt_gw

About those 'sweet and gentle' pit bulls...

rosemaryt
15 years ago

Several days ago, I posted something about all the pit bulls I'd found in area shelters (here in Southeastern Virginia). When I went around to our local shelters, I'd found a fantastic number of pit bulls and pit bull mixes up for adoption.

Well, hubby is a lawyer and said, "NO WAY" to the pit bulls. Made sense to me, and I didn't want a pit bull anyway - due to their reputation.

Then this article appeared in today's Virginia Pilot (see link below). The gist of it is, two pit bulls on the loose in northern NC entered a family's back yard (fenced) and then into the house (through a pet door) and killed the family's beloved Lab, "Jazz."

Jazz had survived a bout with throat cancer two years ago, only to be mauled and killed by these two pit bulls. A neighbor saw the bloodied pit bull and grabbed the family's other dog (a bichon friese), thereby saving his life from the marauding pit bulls.

I hope some of you will consider leaving a comment on the paper's comment section.

Rose

Here is a link that might be useful: Two pit bulls invade NC home: Family's dog is killed

Comments (32)

• phyllis__mn
    15 years ago

I'm just appalled at this; I do not understand anyone wanting a pit bull for a pet in the first place.

• monica_pa Grieves
    15 years ago

Pit Bulls are mixed terriers. Like any animal, they are not naturally aggressive, but can be very protective of their masters is they sense they are in danger, as other breeds are too.

A relative has 2 pit bulls, one is hyper active and may frighten you because of her size...but she loves people, wants to be petted, and is more apt to lick you to death than bite.
    The other, a male, is one of the best behaved dogs I have ever seen.

They have a cat who teases those dogs, swats at them, etc...and neither has ever fought back.

• Related Discussions

Rehabilitating Michael Vick's Pit Bulls

Q

Comments (13)
    Personally I think Michael Vick is a sociopath, and I live in Eagles country but am not a football fan. If a person can do what he did to living breathing animals, he deserves a way long time behind bars. . I'm sorry but I don't trust pit bulls either. I was surprised to read about Corgi's (Queens dogs) and collies being banned in Italy. That said I have a temperamental Dachshund who needs supervision. He adores cats, loves the dog he lives with, loves kids and people, but has issues with big dogs. It's in the breed but he came from iffy circumstances. Turned into a kill shelter because they had too many dogs. So he has issues, but I watch him carefully. It's the Napoleon complex plus his history. I try to socialize him all the time.
    ...See More

What about 'those' people?

Q

Comments (27)
    I'm sure when my beagle was REALLY bad on the leash, I looked like one of those people. Even though I didn't do anything, but the way she pulled, she was constantly choking and retching. She did it no matter what we did, for the longest time. Choke collar, normal collar, etc etc. The worst was when we took her to the pet store, and she prompty gagged and vomited right at the foot of another dog owner. I just got this "What are you doing to that poor dog" evil glare. I hated taking her to the dog park for that very reason, but I knew I had to if I ever wanted her to learn to walk properly in places with that many distractions. She still yanks on the leash, but she doesn't make herself gag and vomit anymore. Through all the things she's done, I've never once considered getting rid of her. Chewed a huge corner chunk off my deck. Dug holes all around my yard. Chewed a hole in the carpet. Ate underwear. Eats cat and dog poop. Destroyed countless cat doys. Countless dog beds and blankets. She can chew through just about any plastic dog chew toy, in a matter of minutes. Piddled on my footstool when she was mad at me once because I made her get out of the kitchen while I was cooking. Chewed the corner of my coffee table. I knew if I persisted, she'd become a good girl. And she has. Granted she still needs to be crated when she's alone. But she's very much a people dog now, and when we're home, she doesn't wander and get into things now. She doesn't dig, or chew furniture and carpeting. Doesn't eat underwear anymore. She's so smart. I'm so glad none of that ever deterred me from her. And the only thing that would stop me from paying any amount of money for any of my animals, would be chance of survival and quality of life. If their chance of making it out of the surgery are slim, or their life won't be at all great or much longer after the surgery and it costs too much, then it'll be a definate struggle to decide.
    ...See More

Local shelters automatically kill pit bull mix pups

Q

Comments (5)
    It's funny how things work out. We loaded the pups up to take them to a shelter on Friday but got there 15 minutes too late.....and had to bring them all back home. Over the weekend, she heard back from a woman who runs a pit bull rescue. She has spread the word about these pups and offers of help are coming out of the woodwork! Emily has already recieved one donation which will spay Jingle and support the pups for a few more weeks. A rescue place in atlanta has offered to take 4 of them so friday we will load up Emily's favorite 4 and drive them four hours to atlanta. Another woman has offered to send money for food, so they don't have to go to a shelter. It is so heartwarming to have so many people wanting to help these pups.
    ...See More

Identify my new 'bull' puppy!!

Q

Comments (11)
    Yeah, I know they come in brindle but I have never seen a *gray(blue)/buff* brindle before. Only in Danes. But I know that probably doesn't mean anything, lol! Thanks, you two---he's very, very sweet. Annz, thanks for that link! I was wrong sooo many times that I gave up and started randomly clicking---the pit was my third to last dog, lol! I had no idea...
    ...See More
  • Granlan_TX
    15 years ago

these posts are sooooo upsetting...should've SOB..TMI

• pattico_gw
    15 years ago

I have one....She's one of the best dogs we've ever had.

It's been said a thousand or more times...but it seems no one listens...

It's not the dog....it how the owners raise them.

patti

• lydia1959
    15 years ago

I agree it is how they are raised/trained.

A few years ago Italy found Corgis, Border Collies and St. Bernards dangerous dogs!
    "Italy has put border collies, corgis and St Bernards on a dangerous dogs list that bans children and criminals from owning them.
    A new law came into force this weekend after being passed by emergency decree."

The only dog that has ever bit me was a Poodle!

• Granlan_TX
    15 years ago

Was wondering if anyone felt like me and glad to see some do...poor, poor dogs and shame on the people who don't deserve them ;(

• okwriter
    15 years ago

LOL @ Lydia! Those poodles can be vicious! :-)

I think it's a lot like kids...it's the person who trains them (or fails to train them) that shapes their personality.

• azzalea
    15 years ago

Just a few random points.

My husband used to be a meter reader. As ANYone who has ever worked as a meter reader or postman will tell you--if a dog has teeth, it can and will bite under the right circumstances. My husband sustained many dog bites over the years--from dogs who were reportedly gentle and lovable (fortunately, none were pit bulls!)

Yes, how a dog is raised does make some difference--BUT pit bulls are physically different from other breeds. You cannot get away from the fact that once they bite, their jaws lock and it takes practically the 'jaws of life' to get them to let their prey loose. If they do bite, there's a much greater chance of them doing more serious damage than many other breeds.

Also--while I know a lot of folks profess to have lovely pit bull pets, MOST of them are owned/raised to be vicious dogs. Either for fighting (there was just a dog fighting ring discovered and broken up in my area this week). A significant percentage of pits are owned by drug dealers and runners. And those are all trained to be extremely dangerous dogs. They're not pets, they're weapons, make no mistake about it. And the fact is--if you're on the street and see a pit bull you don't know--you cannot tell if it's someone's loving pet, or a vicious killing machine.

If you check the statistics, pit bulls are way, way out in front of any other breed for being dangerous. Anyone can defend anything they want, and yes, some people have nice pit bulls, but they are more likely to be a problem dog than other breeds. That's a proven fact, and the reason some locales actually have laws or restrictions on them.

• caflowerluver
    15 years ago

The only dog to ever attack me was a German Shepard when I was 10. I was just walking by. Luckily the owner was there to pull him off. Should all GS be put to sleep because they are trained to be attack dogs? It is the owner, not the dog.
    Clare

• earthlydelights
    15 years ago

we had one - he was one of the best dogs i ever had and he's missed to this day. he had such a playful personality and was the biggest cuddle-bug of a pet we have ever had and quite intelligent. it used to tease the heck out of another pet and it was so comical watching the interaction.

i was of the opinion before we got the dog that no way, no how would i ever have one of these in my home -- all those horror stories i had heard second and third hand. that attitude changed once this one came to us.

it's a darn shame that there are so very many - they are raised (mistreated, chained, etc) by lunatics to be fighting dogs and as guard dogs for drug dealers. i border philadelphia and the aspca and animal control have dozens of them on their adoption lists. those owners should be treated in the same manner.

when i was a teen, i remember having a fear of doberman's, all te crazy things that wre claimed about them.

my neighbor had a "killer" chocolate lab - so you never really know.

maryanne

• ont_gal
    15 years ago

back in the earl 70's,the pinscher was the pit bull...and the german shepherd....and the Akita..the list goes on.

Yes,they have the lock jaw and most are given to be vicious,but like some posters stated,its the HUMAN that is the pit bull usually..not the dog

• jeaninwa
    15 years ago

azzalea is right. Physically, pitbulls are much more dangerous than most other breeds. They are strong, quick and have very powerful jaws.
    That said, most shelters would never adopt out a dangerous dog. If a dog is not socialized or has the potential to be socialized, they are NOT going to let it go to some unsuspecting family.
    My son and his wife adopted from a shelter, a 5 year old pit/dalmation mix. They visited with the dog several times before bringing him home. They had a 3 year old daughter at the time. This was 3 years ago, and Tucker is a wimp. He's a couch potato and lets the other two little dogs bully him. I was VERY VERY worried because not only do pitbulls have a bad reputation, but dalmations are not known to be child friendly either. In this case, I'm so happy that everything turned out well.

• vicki_lv_nv
    15 years ago

What irritates me is that the Pit Bull is categorized as vicious because of something like this. The owner is responsible for the dog's actions. The dog learns what the human teaches it. If it had been a German Shepard that had done this...would it have been categorized vicious? What if it had been a Yorkshire Terrier? A Pit Bull is a Terrier.

Don't get me started I guess. My Pit Bull is the joy of our lives. She has never been trained to be aggressive and she never will be. She is the smartest, most loving dog we have ever owned. And yes, I consider her "sweet and gentle" and lovable.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago

Taken from the link below about a local attack in 2008.

Heaton said officers had no known cause for the attack. Irvine said Willams and her husband had raised the 3 to 5-year-old male pit bull since it was a puppy. As she tried to comfort Williams, the woman told Irvine she let him out like she did every morning and this time, he turned on her and attacked.

The viciousness of the attack, Heaton said, was evident to anyone who was at the scene. Even officers who had seen their share of brutality had a hard time dealing with it. The pit bull did not merely attack his owner, Heaton said.

"Lt. Huser described it as Âthe grossest thing he had ever seen in 32-plus years on the force,Â" Heaton said. "The dog was literally eating her to death."

If a dog like that can turn on its owner, I for one will avoid them at all costs. I really don't think they should even be allowed in public without being muzzled.

More can be found on pitbulls at Animal Debate Forum search results for pit bulls.

Here is a link that might be useful: Woman attacked by pit bull clings to life

• pattico_gw
    15 years ago

We have the one pitt bull, two dobermans (I'll never have another one), we had one rottweiler (he was the absolute best dog ever) and we have one yorkie...The yorkie is the worst...you have to watch out for her...she will bite. She's tried to bite me a couple of times...and she never ever quits yapping.

patti

• jel48
    15 years ago

Just throwing in my two bits. How can we be sure? Environment or heredity? The experts haven't even figured that one out for human criminals.

My personal opinion is that it's some of both. I've met nice, sweet pit bulls but I wouldn't take the chance on owning one. It's bred into Border Collies to herd, and into Labradors to be hunting dogs, and into hounds to track, and into pit bulls to fight or attack. People have bred these dogs for generations to enhance what is considered the desirable traits for the breed. No matter how nice the individual is, the genetics are there.

Plus, I don't think that a poodle or a yorkie could have came through that family's pet door and killed their labrador retriever.

I have three small dogs, two Pekinese mixed breeds, and one Tibetan Spaniel. The Tibbie will never ever bite anyone. The two mixed breeds will. I don't think they're mean as it only seems to be an issue when they're in their home or with 'their' people. I think it's more of a protective thing. But I do think small breed dogs are more likely to be biters and nippers. Fortunately, they're not large enough to do damage. The smallest one can barely get a finger in her mouth, let alone anything larger.

• marilyn_c
    15 years ago

A lot of purebred dogs have been bred (for the trade) until they have little or no sense. I have never had a pure bred pit bull but had a half, and she was a sweet dog. One of my husband's deckhands has one, and she doesn't even bark when someone comes up to the house...not much of a watch dog. However, if you look around at all the people who can not raise children and do a half way decent job....is it any wonder that so many dogs are so screwed up??? That said, pit bulls have been bred to be aggressive...maybe some bloodlines more than others...and a lot of people have no understanding of training dogs and it makes for a bad mix.
    For that reason, I wouldn't reccommend most people getting one for a pet....however, they, and labs, are the most popular dogs around here.

• grinch_gut
    15 years ago

I had one adn he was great the most gentle dog you could have asked for. The neighbors have one and she is the biggest lap dog you could ask for.....My neice has been around animals all her life and got attacked by a dalmation and had to have several surgeries and the dog would not let go of her throat...had to be pried and beat off and this was a family pet on a horse farm where kids were all the time.....that said....Eddie my mini doxie is the worst dog i have ever owned..he is my baby but he does bite...I can't let him out when relatives are here because I don't know what he will do...he has bitten Brian's brother several times and a few of the hands that have been here and I mean drew blood....My pit bull died of old age and never ever attempted to be aggressive to anyone his whole life even when he was suffering from arthritis..and hurting....Stacy

15 years ago

below is a link to some statistics

Here is a link that might be useful: Dog attack deaths and maimings

15 years ago

Also taken from the link below:

Pit bulls do not need a reason to attack. Unpredictability and the inclination to attack are genetic traits within pit bulls.

Please note:
    In the comment section at DogsBite.org, you will find people who are unsympathetic to pit bull owners that are attacked by their own dog and suffer massive injury. The reasoning is simple. The only thing worse than reporting that a pit bull has violently attacked its owner and caused serious injury or death is when a pit bull unleashes the same actions on an innocent person.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dogsbite.org-Some dogs don't let go

• susan_on
    15 years ago

Interesting reading.

• nancylouise5me
    15 years ago

Nope, wouldn't own one. Pit bull, American staffordshire terrier, cross breed, etc., whichever name you give it, as has been posted before...they were bred to be aggressive. Used for bull and bear bating and then when those where outlawed, dog fighting. It is in their DNA. The sweet pooch that falls asleep on the couch with you while rubbing it's tummy one night is the same one that will turn on you and cause serious damage if not kill you the next night. I would never risk my children in that way. NancyLouise

• kathleen44
    15 years ago

I wouldn't get a pit bull for anything.

The stories I have heard are terrible.

One guy had a bunch of pit bulls and loose too and this couple was walking their sweet beloved dog and my dad said I believe we met that dog. I looked and said yes, we did. And one of the pitbulls just tore it in half, the guy told the owners to not touch his dogs, can you believe that? The male owner tried to protect their dog but he couldn't do anything. It was awful they said what happened to their young sweet dog.

They also attacked again, this time a guy riding on his bike and he showed his leg on tv, the bites all over.

Two young teenager girls walking home and they got attacked by pitbull and one got away and went screaming and yelling to houses for help. They came out with bats, sticks, and got the dog away finally from the young teen.
    She ended up pretty bad in the hospital.

I just crinch when I hear families getting them with young kids. OH, my, I go how can they risk it?

No, they are too powerful dogs just like some others are.

I heard on the radio that someone took and bred mixed powerful breeds together with pitbull and its even stronger and more powerful than the pitbull itself. I go unreal that is. Scary too it is.

• rivkadr
    15 years ago

We owned a pit bull when I was a teenager. My mother has been an obedience trainer for years. She knows dogs, she knows how to train them, and bully dogs like pit bulls need a dominant personality like that to keep them in hand. And the dog was well-behaved, sweet, wonderful, almost all of the time.

And then there was the one or two times when the dog...just suddenly seemed to...go weird, for no apparent reason. He would suddenly become violent or snap at someone without any reason. Many dogs may do this -- something will set them off, and you won't even know what it was...but when a pit bull does, because of the reasons mentioned before about their tenacity, their jaws and how they hold on, etc., it can be a very dangerous and scary thing. Why does a seemingly loving and sweet dog just suddenly snap like that? Breeding? Something in the air? Who can say. We ended up getting rid of him after a few years...we just couldn't take the risk that he might end up hurting someone.

I'm sure there are some lovely pit bulls out there, just as there are some mean, mean golden retrievers. But ALL breeds have a tendency towards certain traits, because that's what they've been bred to have. A lot of breeding of pits has been done by people whose single purpose has been to make aggressive, angry dogs. It's for that very reason that I would never own a pit bull.

• socks
    15 years ago

Rivkadr said, "But ALL breeds have a tendency towards certain traits, because that's what they've been bred to have."

Exactly. Herding dogs know how to herd, bloodhounds track by scent, etc. Pit bulls have genes to be aggressive. OK, some are nice pets, but unless the owner is totally in charge of the dog and there are no kids, I don't think it's a good idea to own one. Any dog can harm people, but PB's would lean more towards that tendency.

Just my opinion. I know many of you have or have had PB's that were wonderful, but they scare me. Especially since I was once cornered by one which the owner said was "not aggressive." Right.

• Terri_PacNW
    15 years ago

and then it seems Pits do have a higher aggression level when in a pack..which is 2 or more dogs..yes Pits are not a dog to take lightly...but they should not be irradicated from the earth.

• azzalea
    15 years ago

Was discussing this thread/topic with my husband--the one who works for the utility company, formerly a meter reader.

He commented that recently the company brought in a fellow who is a professional dog trainer/breeder to give a class on dog safety. The trainer brought a pit bull with him--muzzled--and opened his talk with the following comment, "Make no mistake about it. This is a LETHAL weapon".

Now mind you, part of the reason for that, may be that the company covers the most dangerous city in the country, and yes, as I mentioned above, most of the pit bulls in our area are owned by drug dealers and other criminals and are trained to be absolutely vicious. But on the other hand, if you just meet a dog on the street, how do YOU know where it's been, how it's been raised/trained, etc? And the breed definitely has it's problems.

NOt only won't I have one, but I will not be in the vicinity of one, I'd rather offend some kindly owner of a 'sweet' pit bull, than take a chance on my life with one of the majority (the vicious ones).

• danihoney
    15 years ago

We had friends that were talking about getting a Pitt Bull and I flat out told them my children would NEVER be around their house again if they did. No exceptions. Their kids and mine were best friends. They changed their minds. Turns out I wasn't the only one that told them that.

We are dog lovers and are very responsible pet owners. I feel very confident in my abilities with animals. I do not think the risk is worth the reward with Pit Bulls. I'll never own them and never knowingly enter a home with them or allow my children around them.

• jannie
    15 years ago

My sister once owned a put bull. Actually, it was her husband's dog. My mother was always afraid of that dog, tho they raised it around their children and other pets and he had never acted aggressive. Then my sisyter gave birth to her third child. they were home fromthe hospital and Mom wanted to see her new grandaughter, so she drove over. As she neared the house she saw police cars, ambulanvces and a medivac helicopter. She thought OMG the dog attacked the baby! Not so, the dog was in the house resting behind a baby gate. A neighbor came over with her kids for a visit and the dog bit one of the neighbor's children. On the face. My sister had the dog put down within hours.

• minnie_tx
    15 years ago

I noticed several trucks along the highways with Pit Bull puppies for sale last week You're right a lot of them around.
    I'm sure raised in a loving home most would grow up to be ok I was attacked by a Red Chow dog when I was a little girl .

• msmarion
    15 years ago

There is no such thing as a BAD dog, just bad owners. Dogs that are not socialized with other dogs and humans are sure to be agressive.

• blueheron
    15 years ago

I remember watching a Judge Judy show where one of the plaintiffs operated a pit bull shelter from her home. And she had small children! Judge Judy really raked her over the coals for being so stupid as to put her children in danger like that.
    She was clueless and said, "Well, who will take care of the dogs if I don't?"