SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
runninginplace

(Cross Post) Impact Windows and Leakage-LONG

runninginplace
11 years ago

Put this out on the windows forum, but maybe someone here has some insights or experience. Thanks in advance!

Trying to decide on window replacements for my home, located in Miami FL. The choice is between installing regular non-impact windows with accordion shutters, or installng impact windows alone.

My husband is convinced, based on one neighbor's anecdotal experience, that impact windows leak. As 'proof' he requested a sample impact window from a salesman, and upon its delivery he tested it (a single hung style) by laying it horizontally on top of two cinder blocks and using a garden hose to pour water until a thin stream came out the side. He then concluded it was leaky, and therefore impact windows do not work.

As you can probably tell, I'm dubious about this. The salesman responded to the test by saying that ANY window will leak under those conditions, which actually makes sense given that windows are not meant to be bowls. Salesman said the weather stripping is what was letting water through.

I am having trouble believing that PGT and other manufacturers are knowingly selling thousands of windows that are defective and which leak worse than the 'old fashioned' non impact windows.

Another major factor in the decision: in my price estimates so far, installing non impact windows and accordion shutters will cost approximately 50% more than doing impact windows alone. Something that is definitely swaying my inclination! However if experts say that non-impact window and shutters are the best option I am willing to consider that. I hope and pray this window installation will last us for several decades of Florida storms.

Ann

Comments (5)