SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
summeronmymind_gw

Impact glass choice (cross-posted on Miami-Dade)

summeronmymind
16 years ago

I posted this message on the Miami-Dade vs. DP-50 thread yesterday, but it might not be a good fit. Please forgive the double location.

I would appreciate advice on our purchase of replacement windows and doors for a beach home on a barrier island off North Carolina. We've owned it for almost 15 years, and it's a vacation place.

The house has 4 sliding-glass door openings that are 8 feet wide. A fifth sliding-glass door opening is 6 feet wide. The sliding glass doors are constantly off track, leaky, and wobbly. One has a totally clouded stationary glass pane, thus obscuring 50% of the view at that opening.

The house has 10 windows. They're double-hung, vinyl, with leaks and disintegrating parts that make the tilt-to-clean mechanism in the bottoms non-functional. (The tops don't tilt at all, so they either stay dirty or make us risk falling out a window to clean a top pane.)

8 of the windows have redwood bermuda shutters that we make sure to latch to prepare for hurricanes. For the sliding glass doors, we have 4X8 sheets of plywood that we have to pull out, get up, etc.

It's time to replace all this. We've contacted a contractor about impact-glass windows and doors. He has proposed replacing the sliding glass doors in the 8-foot openings with 1 hinged 3-foot door per opening, flanked by 2 stationary doors (framed sheets of glass)that would be about 2 1/2 feet wide each. (So, each opening would now be a hinged door in the middle of 2 solid panes.) The 6-foot opening would have a 3-foot hinged door and a 3-foot solid pane. The windows would all be double-hung. All this would be in the Miami-Dade storm-impact, Low E, glass, Andersen brand. The proposed cost for just the windows and doors is $33,500. (That's right off the computer sheet from the Andersen rep, computer printouts and specs right there.) When building materials, paint, labor, etc., get added, it comes to $51,000 for the project. If we were to use regular glass (not the impact glass), the cost of the windows and doors would be about half the price of the impact glass windows and doors.

We're getting too old to put up plywood, drag it around, etc. We figure we could just get impact glass on the windows that don't have bermuda shutters, but that would still leave us with all these big door openings. Each respective 8-foot door opening costs about $5000 per the Andersen estimate. That would be about $3000 apiece for regular glass instead of impact. Then we would be back with the plywood...

This place is sandy, sunny and salty, with a harsh environment that eats pits into alumininum and totally eats nails or screws that aren't stainless steel. The estimates are for using copper flashing, stainless steel nails, window-wrap membrane in the installation, etc. These aren't custom sizes, just replacement.

So, is this reasonable? Should I be asking about lesser-quality windows? We don't plan to sell our house, and this property has gotten very valuable since we bought it. Still, I wonder if Andersen is an unnecessary elite brand, and whether I could do as well to get another brand. (If so, I don't know what that would be, whether another manufacturer would stand behind the product, etc.) Today I asked the contractor about MW windows, and he said he could get an estimate. Does anyone know about that company or another?

I understand that Oberon's analysis says the impact glass is really worth it, but I'm concerned that the whole housing of the window or door better stand up, too. Still, this is horribly expensive.

Any thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (3)