SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carova_2008

Impact glass window issue

carova_2008
15 years ago

Hi!

I find myself in a very difficult situation. We had specified a specialty brand of Miami-Dade certified impact-rated windows for a house that has just started construction. The initial process of selection had been extremely difficult because we wanted good functional performance (uPVC frame, hurricane performance [DP +/-60] and very good energy efficiency) and very good asthetics (extremely good visual transmittance [>62%] with a very high color renndering index (CRI)). But we have a problem now - the window company closed up operations in the last 6 months while we started construction on the house. I have spoken to the glass fabricator (Guardian) and they are not aware of another window manufacturer that might be willing to supply a similar custom product.

Over the past few weeks my wife and I have looked at nearly every stock uPVC impact resistant casement window that is certified by either Miami-dade or the Texas Department of Insurance and have not found anything close to our requirements. Typical issues I have observed include what appear to be marginal index of refraction matching between the the plastic interlayer and the sandwiching lites (using a monochromatic light source at an angle showed strong reflections at each interface), terrible CRI (judged using Munsen Color chart), poor VT [most windows we saw had a distinct grey tinge and VTs in the low 50's], limited options for energy efficiency (practically none of the data for U-factors show anything below 0.30 [and we could not determine if it was either a summer or winter U!]), etc.

So I have a couple of questions:

1) Why are we having such terrible results trying to find a custom glass option for a good uPVC frame?

2) How can I get past the "front-line" technical folks in the windows companies to speak with the real technical experts who might be able to help us?

Thanks!

Comments (9)