SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
luckygardnr

I'll share my recipes, if you'll share yours - January 15, 2010

luckygardnr
14 years ago

Sausage, Kale and Tortellini Soup

Courtesy Lifeâs Ambrosia

Being a broth based soup, the kind of broth that you use for this soup is pretty important. You may notice that I use two kinds of broth: chicken and vegetable. I love the combination of the two together but if you only have one or the other feel free to use only one kind. I also suggest using a low sodium broth because that allows you to control the amount of salt in the soup. Because you are using sausage in this soup, which can be kind of salty, the ability to control the amount of salt is important.

Serves 4

⢠1 pound turkey Italian sausage, casings removed

⢠1 tablespoon olive oil (optional)

⢠1/2 medium onion, diced

⢠1 clove garlic, minced

⢠3 cups low sodium chicken broth

⢠3 cups low sodium vegetable broth

⢠1 bunch (8 â 10 ounces) kale, chopped

⢠1 teaspoon dried basil

⢠9 ounces fresh cheese tortellini

⢠fresh cracked pepper and kosher salt

1. In a large soup pot, cook sausage over medium heat until browned, using a spoon to break the sausage into bite size pieces. Once browned transfer to a plate and set aside.

2. Reserve 1 tablespoon of pan drippings, if there isnât enough pan drippings add 1 tablespoon olive oil. To the pan drippings add onion and garlic, cook 5 minutes or until onion is softened.

3. Return sausage to pan. Pour in chicken and vegetable broth. Stir in kale and basil. Cook for 10 â 15 minutes or until kale is wilted.

4. After kale has wilted, stir in tortellini and cook for 5 minutes or until the tortellini is soft and warmed through. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

5. Ladle into soup bowls. Serve hot.

Comments (4)