SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pjb999

Dryer vent ducting to heat garage...enhancements

pjb999
17 years ago

My dryer vent duct runs through my garage and out through the outer wall, it provides a surprising amount of heat considering, and I've been wondering if I could improve it further, by:

-Extending the duct so it runs through the garage more, say, by adding a couple of turns

-Using aluminum concertina ducting - more surface area for one, like a radiator fin, and I believe aluminum has better heat conduction than galvanised steel

-Painting the outside of the ducting with an appropriate black paint

-Adding a damper/door arrangement on the inside of the outside wall, before the pipe exits the wall - it does have a self-closing door on the outside, although condensation and dust sometimes stops it from closing. During really cold weather, I get frost buildup on the inside foot or so of pipe. This damper is made specifically as a second self-closing device to reduce cold ingress.

I have heard talk of a maximum of 14 feet for dryer ducts. I'm in British Columbia so this may not apply - I'm assuming this limit is to reduce possible condensation problems if the air's allowed to cool too much - and i wonder if this could be a problem with what I propose to do.

Condensation's one of the reasons I was considering changing to the aluminum ducting, it should resist corrosion better. I do wonder if there's a fire code issue with aluminum vs steel as it will buckle and melt at a much lower temperature, and it will be in a garage, after all.

I assume the theory with black paint on air-cooled engines, heatsinks etc is the paint absorbs heat from the metal, thereby encouraging more heat from the air going through. The second damper should in theory discourage heat loss...if it restricts air flow somewhat, I should see more heat extraction, provided it doesn't create problems elsewhere.

Any thoughts on this? In order to instal this damper, I'll have to cut the existing duct anyway, which I think may leave it too short, so I figured while I'm at it, I might as well try some of the other mods.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths