SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19762856

Newbie Intro, Prayer Request & Advice..long post

User
11 years ago

I have lurked on Gardenweb for so long, I feel like I know many of you already. I created a username tonight for selfish reasons but believe I found this board years ago for a reason. Your friendships and support are an inspiration but I never felt like I could contribute enough to make a difference.

I have recently had some personal issues and would love any input you may have.

I am 37 years old, married for over 12 years, trying for my first child. Long story short, I planned my whole life so far (engagement, wedding, first house purchase, sold first house to buy bigger home to raise family, etc.). As of December DH and I actively began trying to conceive our first baby now that our mortgage is able to be paid under 1 salary and everything else seemed ideal as it could be. I had some minor female issues with monthly cycle and double periods so I actively got in touch with my OB/GYN to find the problem. I learned to calculate my ovulation date, etc. but still to no positive pregnancy test. I had all kinds of different ultrasounds that showed there could be minor complications but nothing that couldn't be managed.

I was diagnosed with a polyp and recommended to have a D&C and a hydroscopy (?) under anesthesia. I was petrified as I have never been put under but for my DH and future conception, I was brave and reached for the stars. The follow up was scheduled for 1 week later. My DH and I showed up for what we thought would be normal test results and to keep trying, which turned out to be the biggest nightmare of our life. The pathology report showed ENDOMETRIAL CANCER. Recommended cure is hysterectomy asap. My dream of motherhood flashed and burned before my very eyes. My doctor has only had 2 cases in more than 30 years experience of this diagnosis in my age group; me and one other patient. To say I am devestated is an understatement. I have let down my husband, my family, my inlaws, my world. To not conceive and birth a child is like a death in my heart.

I have not yet met with the oncologist to determine the stage of cancer, the type of hysterectomy he recommends, if my eggs can be harvested for a miracle (no one in our family would ever volunteer to surrogate I don't think), or any other of the 100s of questions in my heart and mind can be answered. I am so overwhelmed at the moment but mustered up some courage for stranger help. It's far easier than reaching out to a family and friend support system yet.

Any advice for me, prayers of any faith, and questions for my doctors are most appreciated. I plan on going to Dana Farber Cancer Institute in Boston for a 2nd opinion assuming my insurance will cover a 2nd opinion I hope. I'm not close but I have been told they are the best.

I believe in the power of prayer and the thought of menopause at 37 makes me literally nauseous, nevermind the end of a family dream.

Thank you so much if you read this far and God bless.

emeraldisle624

Comments (136)

• mboston_gw
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Just checking in - I know you have no new news but bumping this up to help keep the prayer circle going. Take care.

• theroselvr
    11 years ago

Wishing you luck with your next appointment. I hope that what ever info you get; it will be more clear what's going on & what your options are.

~Hugs

• Related Discussions

adopt a newbie 2

Q

Comments (150)
    Hi. Not sure if my last post went through. I would love to be adopted by someone. I am in a zone 7/8 at approx. 6,000 ft above sea level. I would like to grow mainly an edible garden with fruits, veggies and herbs, but some perennials for fun, color and to attract beneficial insects. You may reach me at tacy_m@yahoo.com. Thanks a million, Rachel
    ...See More

Please don't use abbreviations in your posts

Q

Comments (40)
    I'm resetting to default, Robert, and again welcome your posts, but Dean's request to be dispassionate about these things...hmmm, IDKAT (I don't know about that) = if we're not passionate about TPOO (These Plants of Ours), we wouldn't be here, NCP (n'est-ce pas)?. Dean, Great word! You do mean #1, yes? despatch - 3 dictionary results des�patch â âÂÂ[dih-spach] Show IPA �verb (used with object), verb (used without object), noun dispatch. Use despatch in a Sentence �Related forms out�des�patch, verb (used with object) un�des�patched, adjective Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Dictionary, � Random House, Inc. 2011. Cite This Source : Link To despatch Explore the Visual Thesaurus � Related Words for : despatch communique, dispatch, send off, expedition, expeditiousness View more related words � World English Dictionary despatch (dêÃÂsp�tÃÂ) [Click for IPA pronunciation guide] � vb ( tr ) a less common spelling of dispatch des'patcher � n dispatch or despatch (dêÃÂsp�tÃÂ) [Click for IPA pronunciation guide] � vb 1. to send off promptly, as to a destination or to perform a task 2. to discharge or complete (a task, duty, etc) promptly 3. informal to eat up quickly 4. to murder or execute � n 5. the act of sending off a letter, messenger, etc 6. prompt action or speed (often in the phrase with dispatch ) 7. an official communication or report, sent in haste 8. journalism a report sent to a newspaper, etc, by a correspondent 9. murder or execution Here is a link that might be useful: Despatch
    ...See More

Newbie Here: Introducing Myself

Q

Comments (14)
    Lynn, Thank you for the info. I built a strawbale bldg in Montana and low walls of strawbale, and they looked very similar to yours, which is why I asked. I might go back to WA this spring to help buddy build a wall around their garden, so was looking for ideas, as yours are close to what I had designed for them. Two years ago we put in a ~350 sf raised bed out of Allan Block against the south side of the house, I put a spigot out there as well on a 4x4, with another spigot on the back side for the soaker hoses. We find the raised bed works wonderfully for the veggies, allows much more control of the water and amendments/nutrients (heavy clay here). The last remaining task is to put a hardscape path around the wall, but the better half has different ideas than me (mine is similar to yours). I used to design landscapes in CA, and always put in raised planters, for various reasons. First, most important, is to dig down below the level of the planter and incorporate your fill with native to ensure drainage, as a perched water table will result & stress your trees (even with wall at 2ft high). Second most important is to have the design flow with the rest of the landscape. Third is to plumb the planters - don't count on hand-watering as one vacation during hot weather will result in stress and loss, as raised beds don't retain as much moisture as the ground does. I also tried to ensure my designs allowed sitting on the top of the wall for guests to enjoy the flowers and bees and scent (plus you get to subtly change the decor for parties with different styles of cushions, candles, moving the clay frog, etc.). I wouldn't make them any wider than 5-6 feet so you can prune/weed without stepping in the beds. You'll also find your walls will make wonderful microclimates around the yard (and increase heat on south-facing walls) and you may want to take some time to learn these changes before you go nuts at the nursery; our south wall soil does not freeze and I have a coldframe out there now with veggies in it (just outside Denver and we have had a half-dozen nights below 0º F this winter, as many in single digits, many in teens). What we did to our stucco walls in Montana was to use broken glazed pottery as decoration, as well as glass marbles and one artist did a bas-relief of a man on a horse, all of this done while the last coat of stucco was still wet. Sounds like an excellent project to dream about, Lynn. Dan
    ...See More

NEW: Adopt a Newbie Seed exchange!

Q

Comments (129)
    Hi! I am a newbie to the forum, and am SO excited to have an information website such as this!! I have been gardening for 15 years or so- but it's all been trial and error. I would love some seeds- any low care perennials or really good tomato seeds. Next year- I would love to do my entire veggie garden from seeds. My favorite plants are shady perennials, veggies, and we also dabble with some tropicals that we dig up every year and replant every spring- such as bananas, etc. Looking forward to getting to know alot of you. Best of gardening season to you'all. email address- beachcoby@yahoo.com Thanks SO much for this thread!!
    ...See More
  • User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all so much for your continued messages on this thread and the prayer thread.

So much has happened since I last posted, let's see if I can post it all in a way that makes sense!

I made an appointment to go to another oncologist at Mass General Hospital's Cancer Center in Boston for a 3rd opinion. I also spoke with oncologist #1 (who said yes to hormone treatment) in regards to #2's opinion and met with oncologist #2 (who said no to hormone treatment) again to discuss his reasons.

Dr.#1 confirmed his opinion that he believes it's worth a shot trying the hormone treatment for 3 months and he is aware of the grade 2 cancer cells that Dr.#2 pointed out as his reasoning for not doing hormone treatment. He believes someone at my age who wants to preserve fertility is able to do the hormone treatment. I felt much better after speaking with him and telling him about Dr.#2's refusal to treat this way. His belief is that Dr.#2 is more conservative and that he (#2) may want to remove the cancer as soon as possible and the hysterectomy is the quickest and safest way to do that.

The appointments I had with Dr.#2 and Dr.#3 just happened to be scheduled for the same day (yesterday), with #3 in the morning and #2 in the afternoon. I was very overwhelmed to meet with Dr.#3 as I felt whatever way she leaned would obviously greatly impact my decision of what to do. I started to cry when the tech was doing my vitals as I just wanted to get my appointment overwith. My blood pressure was 171/111 as I had gotten myself so worked up during our 90 minute drive into Boston in morning rush hour traffic. The tech reiterated to me that it's so important to keep a positive attitude and how much it can effect my my treatment. I totally agree with him but I keep having weak moments and have to be better about being positive.

Dana Farber and Mass General are affiliated together but Mass General did a whole new pathology in my case as I wanted her to have her own picture, even though she did have all the oncologist notes from both of the hospitals. She began by explaining about how the cancer develops and whether it's considered hereditary or caused by my personal environment (used loosely). In my case it's considered to be my personal environment (as opposed to genetics), i.e. my body is not going through the whole monthly cycle each month and producing way too much estrogen and since I am not ovulating, the progestin isn't fully shedding my uterus lining so the linings build up over time. (I hope I relayed that correctly, she was far more articulate of course.) She went on to explain that they've researched this issue for about 40 years since birth control pills became popular, noting that women who took birth control pills in the 60-70s had huge amounts of estrogen in their pills and then the cases of endometrial cancer sky-rocketed and it was in direct relation to the hormones in the pills. Birth control pills are now much safer and do not contain all that estrogen anymore.

With all of that being said, she told me that she disagreed with Dana Farber's recommended course of treatment. I was absolutely shocked. I remained absolutely quiet wondering if I was dreaming. She explained that since she believes it's my "environment" producing the estrogen creating the cancer cells, if we change my environment by taking the hormones there is hope that we can reverse the cells and possibly become cancer-free. I'll still need the hysterectomy but this is an option for me to try and have a baby. She only recommends the hormones for the 3 months and then do the D&C and then try to get pregnant then (just like the doctor #1). The D&C I have after the 3 months of hormones will determine if the cancer cells are still there and if I can proceed with the trying to get pregnant or if the hysterectomy is recommended at that time. After I could finally get enough air to breathe, I did confess to her that I assumed she was going to take Dana Farber's side since they work so closely together and that she personally has known my Dana Farber doctor for 20 years. She said while she has great respect for my DF doctor, in this case she disagrees with him. She was also careful to point out that Dr.#2 could be right. She also knows Dr.#1 and said I'd be in great hands too if I went with him. I really liked her, her bedside manner, her casual and animated yet effective way of explaining things. She was so different than my own OB/GYN and the other 2 oncologists. And she confirmed like the other doctors said, I will NOT die from this cancer.

I left her office a bit happy, a bit excited even, but totally not getting my hopes up as it still did concern me that Dana Farber says no to the hormones.

Later in the afternoon I have my follow-up appointment with Dana Farber. I wanted to speak with Dr.#2 personally as we had only emailed while he was on vacation last week and sometimes things aren't relayed as well as they are in person. We briefly discussed the last week's events and his recommendation for me getting a 2nd opinion to his method of treatment (this is the first time I realized he wasn't very interested in Dr.#1's hospital and Dr.#1's opinion). He explained to me that it's his own personal preference to not treat grade 2 cancer with hormones due to the increased risk of re-occurence after hormone treatment is completed. He said it's only his preference as it's out of his comfort zone and that other doctors may do differently but he will not do it for a patient, even if recommended by someone else. I told him I was able to get an appointment earlier in the day with Mass General's Cancer Center and he was glad I was able to see Dr.#3 as he also confirmed their long relationship working together and how highly respected she is in their field. He asked me what her opinion was in regards to my treatment and when I told him, I could see the surprise on his face. He said she must be confident in her decision and he hopes that I go under her care and go into remission with the hormone treatment and conceive a baby quickly afterwards. He wants me to stay in touch with him as he trusts Doctor #3's judgement and is confident she would not recommend this treatment unless she truly believes it will work. He was glad it was Mass General that I went to vs. a hospital and staff he wasn't familiar with recommending this treatment. He went on to explain to me (which I may have misunderstood prior) that my cancer will not spread or get worse as long as I am on the hormone treatments so that made me feel better (it just might not get better or go away). I even repeated it to him to make sure I understood correctly. So in saying that, I asked if he thought the hormone treatment was a waste of time (not being disrespectful, I just didn't understand why he wouldn't just try it if it doesn't make things worse), he said it's after the treatment is done and I try to get pregnant that the cancer could return and be more aggressive to grow and spread, which makes it so important that I conceive quickly. The progestin that my body would make naturally while pregnant will essentially keep me safe during the pregnancy.

It was a whirlwind of a day with a whole lot more information to make my decision. There was a Red Sox game in the afternoon so the traffic between the game and rush hour was ridiculous (Dana Farber is down the street from Fenway Park). My DH & I ended up stopping for dinner on the way home and discussed all of the details ad-nauseum again as we want to make a decision as soon as possible to get started either way.

Based on the 3 opinions that we received and all of the information we have received from all 3 oncologists, I have decided (with DH's blessing) to go with Mass General Hospital and begin the hormone treatment. I feel I have researched and inquired and weighed the pros and cons of every piece of information I have received from my doctors and nurses, the boards that I read, the people I have shared this with, and feel good about my decision. I have high hopes for the future and believe if it's meant to be, it's meant to be. Of course I want to have a baby in the end but if I don't, at least I know I did everything in my power to try and make it happen.

I'm contacting MGH this morning so I assume I will be starting the hormones soon. Please keep me in your thoughts and prayers as this is only the first step in a new direction of a long journey no matter what happens. I can't thank you all enough for the prayers and positive thoughts that helped me gain the strength to research and find the best decision for me.

p.s. I want to reiterate that I did not go with the answer that I wanted to hear, that I took Dana Farber's doctor and his opinion very seriously and spent a lot of time with him yesterday and the past week via email to pick his brain with all of my concerns and worries. I can't thank him enough for being so patient with me and respecting all of my questions and crazy scenarios. In all honesty, he scared me more by saying no than the other 2 doctors who said yes.

• theroselvr
    11 years ago

I'm crying reading your post! I think you've done a wonderful job of deciding what to do.

You're very fortunate to have such wonderful doctors.

I'll post more later.

~Hugs!!!!

• yayagal
    11 years ago

Em you did an amazing job in your research and having three opinions is always smart. My sister who had advanced ca did the same and we chose one at Tufts Med. He saved her life, the others said 30% of a five year survival and that was 16 years ago. MGH is the top accredited hospital in the whole U.S. You're in the best hands and on a very special journey, one you will never forget. I admire you in your wise decisions. You have a very supportive husband and all will be well in the end. God bless all of you. Keep that smile on your face, it helps.

• mboston_gw
    11 years ago

Wow! What a road of hills and valleys you have been on the last few weeks! I am so impressed with your ability to forge ahead and get these appointments so quickly. Many times, it seems like there are weeks inbetween one doctor's appointment and the next.

I am glad that you have made your decision based on ALL the information you have been given and that you are now ready to take the next step.

From my own infertility treatments, I was always told it was easier to get pregnant soon after a D&C. In my case, it didn't work each time but my son was conceived the month after my major surgery. I immediatley went on Clomid and he was conceived that first month. My Reproductive Endocrinologist was very surprised that I did get pregnant that soon and was more than a little concerned since I had had abdominal surgery, not just a D&C. We all sighed a sign of relief after the first trimester but I loved every day of it - even the morning sickness was a sign that it was a normal pregnancy.

So...lady - I wish you the best over the next few weeks. I know you are in good hands with your doctor, your husband (who must be wonderful)and God watching over you. The gals here are backing you up too. We'll keep the prayers coming!

• bestyears
    11 years ago

What an incredible job you have done researching your options. I am truly in awe of you.... It sounds like you have made an excellent decision. All the very best to you as you embark on this journey.....

• 3katz4me
    11 years ago

Excellent to hear the update and good news. It's so amazing to see how you have progressed from your initial emotional devastation to your current take charge attitude. I think that's what usually happens and you feel better once you know what you're dealing with and you can take an active role in figuring out what your course of action should be. I can't remember - did you say if it's Megace that you'll be taking?

• User
    11 years ago

Emerald, I am so proud of you, wow. You have sure come a long way from where you started in regards to dealing with this. I'm so hopeful for you and look forward to hearing how things progress. You've done a great job researching everything and keeping an open mind. Now you've GOT to keep that positive vibe going while moving forward, positive thoughts attract positive reactions. I know this from personal experience. Keep us posted, you're still in my prayers and I'll be sending positive thoughts your way!

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all so much, I couldn't have done this without each and every one of you. It's been a whirlwind of a month since I first got the diagnosis. So many ups and downs, so many tears and smiles. So many thanks to God and then a few down-in-the-dumps moments. The better days have surely outnumbered the bad which is a huge positive.

I do believe it's going to be Megace that I am taking. I have to make another appointment with the new doctor now that I officially picked her. I am waiting for her scheduling coordinator to call me. I am hoping I do ok with these meds as I heard the side-effects can be whacky. But that's the least of my problems, I will try so very hard to tolerate them.

In regards to my attitude, I had to take charge. It's all I know how to do! I am blessed to have some very wonderful people in my life (real and online) that have been a strong backbone in my keeping it real and not getting carried away with my emotions, keeping my focus on my faith and the facts (esp. my auntie K, who is my biggest confidante in all of this). I also realized who I shouldn't discuss this with in great detail as it brings me down with the lack of interest and support. But I really truly believe in being my best advocate and finding all of the information that I could, you should see my notebook that is now my medical bible. In regards to the quick appointments, I believe that's part of the miracle too, the dates lined up beautifully without me even planning or requesting them. For the Dana Farber appointment yesterday, I did stress that I could meet him at anytime, any place, any day (maybe the nurse noticed my desperation in the email?).

I still feel like I am walking on eggshells, waiting for something to change like the last time but I am hopeful for the future. And that is half the battle.

Your messages made me cry today even though I am so happy to read them. I feel like just being able to have this opportunity to try the hormones is a miracle in itself so it just proves that the power of prayer and positive thoughts does work.

• betsyhac
    11 years ago

Wow, I think you did an amazing job explaining things. You are very focused and determined. I'm in awe of your ability to sort through all of this. Keep on keeping on Emerald!!! I so love this new GW feature that tells me every time someone posts on here and on the prayer circle post. Even if I can't get to this forum as often as I'd like, every time I see one of those emails, it reminds me to send out prayers and good vibes for you and your hubby.

• User
    11 years ago

All the research you have done has been astounding. You sound like you and your DH have made an educated decision and that you feel you are in good hands. Having a positive outlook will go a LONG way toward your goal of pregnancy and good health. I will continue to wish you well during your incredible journey. c

• theroselvr
    11 years ago

I hope your ready to make a new post because this one will be at the maximum soon! lol

My biggest hope for you; if you're not able to carry a child for what ever reason; that you'll be fortunate enough to harvest eggs

I can't stress enough about the way you picked your opinions & hope that if others ever have this happen that they also try to get a larger University type center for at least 1 opinion. I'm going to share why I wanted you to email me & what I told you. Once someone does this; they have an idea of what they're up against. I know that jerseygirl & I feel differently about this; but for the cancers I've had in my life; this has been true. We see that in Emeralds case; one University center did not feel he would take chances. I don't know if it's because he's male & can't relate to her situation or what. I know of people on cancer boards who have not fared as well as my hub with the same type. I also know of one who was treated at Hopkins for my hubs type & at year 5 was diagnosed with lung cancer that could not be stopped. I also know others with pancreatic who have switched & done better with a University type. It's hard to say because location may make a difference as well as type & stage of cancer.

You want to know how many cases of it do they treat per week/month. My hubs Philly ENT saw about 35 a week 3 yrs ago; its on the rise now. I can tell you that he knew just by examining my hub what stage it was & what he would need for treatment & he was spot on when he did surgery & since they had their own pathology; were able to have results right there. He could tell by looking at it that it was right tonsil; golf ball in neck plus he said about 12 nodes; I think 9 tested positive. It was also HPV+ which he knew it would be vs tobacco. They are the best for a reason; its why I didn't trust his life with small medicine. They know what they're doing.

My dad had an issue with local pathology; had our ENT done a biopsy it would have taken 14 days to get the results back. At that point we'd already wasted enough time with him with 2 needle biopsies that took over a week to come back. PET scans at local radiology also left a horrible taste in my mouth when I had to threaten them that I was coming to pick our scans up for his ENT appt which was over a week after it was done; they read it really quickly; but what an inconvenience to have to drive 20 minutes to pick up results & our scans early morning then turn around & drive passed my house to go to the Philly appt. Philly reads my hubs PET scans that day.

Most centers will fit you in asap from what I've seen

I also gave her links to rankings of where she was going; at the time I didn't know her 3rd was Mass General

stats on Dana Farber- #2 in GYN

stats on Dana Farber- #5 for cancer

• theroselvr
    11 years ago

I must not have closed the tags on the Mass General link - blond moment!
    Mass General- #1 in Mass - #6 in GYN & #7 in Cancer

• cyn10
    11 years ago

Emerald, I just had to say how glad I was to read your post today. I can only reiterate what others have already said -- you are truly amazing in how you have handled this situation. I wish you the best.

• allison0704
    11 years ago

Congratulations on your good news! I'm so glad you took control and got the opinions. You've come a long way in a short time. I wish you good luck and a happy outcome. Please keep us up to date on everything.

• jerseygirl_1
    11 years ago

Emerald,

That is great news.

I am so glad you found an Oncologist that you are comfortable with and trust. That is key and was the whole point to my posting.

You will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you again, everyone.

I'm so happy I was able to speak to the doctor's office today rather than going all the way back in for the prescription. Prescription for Megace has been called in to the pharmacy to start tonight, take it 4x a day for the next 3 months and then I see the doctor at the end of October to schedule the d&c.

What a difference a week makes!! I can't even believe how this all came around full circle.

And...I'm humbled that you all think I took such control of this situation. I can tell you that it was nothing less than divine intervention with the stars aligning especially for me. I feel so very blessed.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    11 years ago

Certainly sounds like an upward trend on your situation. T&Ps that all continues on a positive path - good luck!

• golddust
    11 years ago

Hears to brilliant Doctors! I'm so glad there are people who heed the calling. Glad you found someone to trust.

• lascatx
    11 years ago

Emerald, I can't believe I haven't been back here and checked in in so long. Something made me think of you tonight. So much has happened for you, but I am so glad you are feeling more positive now. You did a great job of getting the information you needed and making the best decision you could and to know why you decided as you did. That's really important and should give you great confidence and comfort as you move forward. It sounds like you are in good hands. Trust them.

• mboston_gw
    11 years ago

Hope that you are doing well on the meds. Let us hear from you soon.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm doing wonderful, thank God! Thanks so much for thinking of me.

Doing great in regards to the side-effects, keeping active as the doctor advised due to the possible weight gain and blot clot risk. The only thing I noticed really is my tendency to get aggitated easily but I was a little like that before all of this so not sure if it's the pills or just the overall stress on my mind.

Had my blood pressure taken on Tuesday and it was back to 124/74 so I have obviously calmed down a lot. I was nervous it was going to be so high again.

Next appointment is the end of October for the pre-surgery visit and then the D&C for another biopsy.

Thank you so much for your continued prayers and just for thinking about me in general. I really can't thank you all enough.

• theroselvr
    11 years ago

Want to leave you these links

Last month, Real World/Road Rules Challenge contestant Diem Brown was diagnosed with ovarian cancer for the second time.

Brown, 30, must have her one remaining ovary removed in a few weeks, but first, she is undergoing controversial fertility procedures with the hope of freezing her eggs. "I know the risks I might be taking with hormone shots as a current ovarian cancer patient," she tells PEOPLE exclusively.

"But for my own sanity I just want to have something 'normal' before going through this cancer journey once again. For me something 'normal' is having my eggs in a freezer somewhere or knowing in my heart I have exhausted every fertility preservation option possible."

Brown will be documenting her journey for PEOPLE.com, starting with her quest to ensure that she'll be able to have a biological child one day, and how she's coping with her shocking diagnosis

Diem's Kickoff Blog: I Want to Have a Baby Despite Ovarian Cancer

Diem Brown Blogs: How I Made Myself Take Charge After Surgery

• theroselvr
    11 years ago

I believe you're coming up to an appointment in the next week or 2? Wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you.

~Hugs

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You are so sweet, roselvr. Thank you for remembering and posting here. My appointment is Wednesday morning. I'm getting more anxious by the day but before now, all has been great. I don't expect to find out much at the appointment, I assume it's just the next step before my next d&c. I am going to beg her to do it ASAP so I can get it overwith (so I don't worry for too long) and hopefully have the pathology reports before Thanksgiving.

Now that the 3 months is almost past, it seems like it flew. I have been keeping myself busy so I'm thankful for that. Yesterday was the first time I cried about this in over a month so that's a big indicator to myself in the strength of everyone's prayers keeping my heart calm.

I still can't ever thank you all enough.

• mboston_gw
    11 years ago

I've been thinking about you as well. Glad to hear that you are doing well and that this first step is drawing to an end. My thoughts will be with you this week as you have your appointment.

Just read an Associate Press article about Women Freezing Eggs for Later Use. The jist of the story was that it is no longer considered "experimental". "The group (American Society for Reproductive Medicine) cited studies that found younger women are about as likely to get pregnant if they used frozen-and thawed eggs for their infertility treatment as if they used fresh ones." "The move is expected to help cancer patients preserve their fertility by pushing more insurers to pay for their procedure and to boost banking of donated eggs, similar to sperm banking."

The article also discussed women choosing to freeze eggs for later use as an insurance policy against infertility in case they don't meet Mr Right - or aren't ready for
    motherhood until their late 30's or beyond. Doctors don't won't to give a false sense of security to those women since it is not all clear sho's a good candidate for the procedure.

Anyway - keep us posted - you are still in my prayers.

• theroselvr
    11 years ago

I'm glad you've managed to keep busy; I know how much it helps to not focus on things. It's probably going to be months of various things; then waiting; but I wanted to let you know that I am thinking of you; because I know how hard waiting can be & how alone a person can feel.

~Hugs

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, mboston! I saw that study too and I believe it said it's best to have the eggs taken before the woman is 38. I have just about 6 months til then so time is of the essence!

Roslvr, you are correct. Months and waiting, months and waiting. Your messages make me smile as you are so right and I take comfort that you know how I feel. Waiting is hard (esp. since I am such an impatient person anyways) but you are right about the "alone" part. As much as I have wonderful people in my life and online support, I really am alone. I have surprised myself with how well I have done over the last 3 months trying to read everything I can and of course taking my medicine religiously (read: neurotically) at the same exact time 4x a day. But really, at the end of the day, I am alone with my thoughts and fears and there is nothing anyone can do to help me with that.

• theroselvr
    11 years ago

Sorry; been busy following the missing 12 year old girl from my area. So horrible they found her last night. While it's a few miles via mapped roads; it's really close if you go through the woods. Horrifying to think we have killer(s) in the area.

I know; I've been there on different levels; as a daughter; DIL & wife. I know how hard it can be; especially when you stop for a few minutes & everything is silent; your mind is able to think. I hope you're able to come back to this post to remember we're all thinking of you. If you ever need us to give you some words of encouragement; do not hesitate to post.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just a quick update to say I had my appointment today and it was nothing major as I expected but of course was still all wound up about!

The nurse is going to call me tomorrow or Friday to schedule the D&C so I will be asking for ASAP as I get so anxious waiting. I did my paperwork with the doctor and the pre-op bloodwork so at least that's all done.

Everything at this point depends on the results of the D&C so even though it's considered a minor procedure, it's everything to me. There are 3 possible results: 1-the cancer is "gone" (meaning the meds worked), 2-the cells show as pre-cancerous (I believe I can continue the Megace for three more months if this is the case as progress is being made, but I'm not 100% positive), and 3-worse case scenario, the cells are the same as they were in July and then we have to schedule the hysterectomy and figure out what we can do to retrieve my eggs. I still have no options for a surrogate and I only briefly thought about how I'd feel with my eggs patiently waiting to be fertilized and maybe never getting the opportunity. I wonder if I'd be better off with no option if it's the case so I don't hold hope for the rest of my life. So much to think about. I'm just trying to take things one step at a time, hard as it is.

Speaking with my doctor today reassured me that I made the right choice in choosing her and I was very happy about that. She's very personable, answers my gazillion questions (even the ones that I expect her to look at me funny but she didn't). She's very thorough in explaining exactly what the procedure will be and the timeline of events. I know that's what all doctors should do for their patients but there is something so calming about her, it's hard to describe.

Thank you so much for the positive thoughts and well wishes for the last few months. I know I have gone on and on about this and posting here has been very therapeutic for me. I think everyone in my everyday life is just as anxious as me to get the results so I can move on from it, good or bad. It's draining even with a positive attitude! So again, I thank you for all the prayers and good thoughts sent my way. I don't know what I would have done without the wealth of information I received here, I can't thank you enough.

• yayagal
    11 years ago

I've been waiting to hear from you. Fingers and feet crossed that all turns out in the most optimal way. Keep in touch. We're rooting for you.

• mboston_gw
    11 years ago

Glad to hear today went well. Hope you get to have the D&C soon and get the results you are praying for. Keep in
    touch.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, yayagal. I'll never forget that you offered to meet me in Boston if I ever had to go in alone; your kindness touched my heart in so many ways that you would do that for me. I was thinking about you today, and I can't believe that you were the first to reply on my post today! :)

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oops was replying to yayagal at the same time when mboston posted.

Thank you, mboston! I will keep in touch. If this thread can help one single person who searches for help and inspiration with this awful cancer, it will be worth it. It's been hard finding women in their 30s that share their experiences but this cancer is getting more and more popular, unfortunately. :(

• golddust
    11 years ago

Thank you for keeping us posted. I'm pulling for you and hoping for the best possible news tomorrow.

• theroselvr
    11 years ago

Wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you ~Hugs

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

I've been thinking about you too.

Bee

• mboston_gw
    11 years ago

I've wondered too as I know you lived in the NE where Sandy went through or at least closeby. Hoping that this next year brings good things for you!

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You are all so sweet, thank you. Somehow I missed the updates here but I have been reading all of the other threads. :)

I had my D&C in November and long story short, still came back as cancerous (but with a slight improvement). I was told to stop my meds and make the appointment to talk about the hysterectomy. I was beside myself as you already probably know.

I had an appointment with my oncologist a week later (the longest week of my life...) and went in armed with data and info from my research plus a disection of my pathology report with all of my notes of everything I could find online and at the library. My doctor is an amazing woman and she's human, she really listens to me and sympathizes with me versus some doctors I have had before are all business and the boss (for a lack of a better word). So, by the end of my appointment, I am back on my medication until February when I will have another D&C and we agree that if it's still cancerous,the hysterectomy will be asap as we can't wait any longer.

I have been praying a lot and trying to keep hopeful that there will be further improvement in February.

I also saw a fertility specialist at the end of November who will help me assuming the D&C comes back with no cancer. He's one of the best in his field from what my oncologist has told me and information I read online. He said we will be on a strict and fine timeline and of course there are no guarantees. As far as saving my eggs if the cancer is still present, it's pretty much a no-go unless I get explicit permission from my oncologist (which he doesn't think I will) as it's very high risk to inject the stimulating estrogen hormones into someone with an estrogen dependent cancer (it would be like pouring fuel on the fire). I cried for more than half of my hour long appointment with him, this is just so much to take in.

I found out this past week that a woman I went to high school with passed away from breast cancer that had spread to her vital organs, she was 39. I haven't seen her in over 20 years but to see her picture in the death notice seemed like I saw her yesterday. I found out that we were diagnosed about the same time, except she has 3 small children with one of them being a newborn. Now they have no mother and that breaks my heart. And it also reminded me of my own mortality and to think she is gone so quickly. I prayed to God that I am making the right decisions and for Him to guide me as best as possible.

We survived Sandy with just a few days of power outage (we lose power every storm so it's not unexpected). Just so sad for the people still struggling to get their lives back together.

Christmas is cancelled this year as I couldn't take the very thought and I am anxiously waiting for 2013. I wish you all a very Merry Christmas and Healthy Happy New Year. Thank you so much for posting on my thread; I didn't want to keep adding my bad and negative news but I promise you I think of you all often and know that you are all praying for me. For that, I am so very thankful.

• mitchdesj
    11 years ago

I wish you a happy holiday season and all the best and positive for 2013, it's been nice to get your updates and I hope all goes well for you.

• mboston_gw
    11 years ago

I had to wait awhile to post after reading yours this morning. I can understand why you are keeping things low key this season. I will "up my prayers' for you that your next results will be better and if not, that you will have the strength and resolve to do what is best for you. Keep in touch, please, if only to say hi.

• theroselvr
    11 years ago

Emerald; I cancelled Christmas too; as have a few people I know.

I'm sorry to read about your appointment; but so thankful that you were able to find this doctor who appears to be on your side. The post is to give you support no matter the good or not so good news; so please do not feel like you can't update because it's negative. You need more support when you get news like that.

I'm sorry to hear about your friend. There seems to be more & more younger people passing away from cancer. I will never understand why things like this happen to people like you or your friend.

Let's hope that everything works out with your next appointment. I will be thinking good thoughts for you ~Hugs

• theroselvr
    11 years ago

For those following that have not seen her new post; link is below.

Posted by emeraldisle624 (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 11, 13 at 18:34

Hi everyone,

I know I haven't posted much lately but I am here at least once a week seeing what you are all up to. I feel like I have been wishing the days away, trying to keep my mind busy and letting my body and medicine do it's thing. It's been a long 7 months since the endometrial cancer was first diagnosed.

I had my 3rd and final d&c last week at MGH in Boston. Everything about the procedure went like clockwork, unlike the last time. I was the FIRST patient allowed into pre-op in what seemed like hundreds that showed up at 5:30am. The lobby at MGH was seriously like a bus terminal, never seen anything like it. I wasn't the first one to show up nor was I the first one to see the people in the surgery check-in lobby but somehow I got to be the first sent down to the nurses in pre-op and get a room/prepped for surgery (everyone else had been told to take a seat and they'd be called soon). Then I was the first one wheeled to surgery and then the first one discharged! I swear God was holding my hand and making things as easy for me as possible, I had an aura-type feeling about me all day. If it was just my imagination, it's ok I'll take it!

I never saw or talked to my doctor, I think it was because everything was on schedule (or maybe even a bit early as my husband got the call at 8:30am that I was on my way to recovery) and they had me knocked out when she arrived.

Breezed through recovery, out in record time just to go home and wait 7-10 days for the results. I had such anxiety leading up the surgery that my whole body hurt. I swear I hurt even more in this past week waiting, like I tensed up while sleeping or something. I didn't feel too stressed during the day while awake as I have been pretty good at going with the flow and trying to put my trust in having everything work out the way it's destined to.

Since tomorrow is day "7" of the 7-10 days I was going to email the nurse and ask if any results were available yet. She knows I am anxious and that I would be waiting every last minute.

Depending on the results, I'd either be scheduling an appointment with the fertility specialist or to have my inevitable hysterectomy.

I got a call this afternoon that said "blocked" on my cell phone. My stomach dropped as I knew who it was going to be, the doctor or the nurse with my results.

I just wanted to update you all that I will be calling my FERTILITY SPECIALIST to make an appointment to get in there as soon as I can for the next step. All of the pathology came back with no malignancy found!

I even had her email me a copy of the report because I was so afraid that she called the wrong person and was giving me someone else's information! I have it in black and white, NO MALIGNANCY FOUND, in 2 different places next to my name!

I of course couldn't stop crying and I was waiting for my husband to get home. He got home and the dog ran outside with him. He's getting the mail, chasing the dog, all these things while I am just patiently waiting for him to come in. And I told him the doctor's office called and quickly went to add that the cancer was gone, I am to stop my meds and get in touch with the fertility doctor tomorrow. I felt like I was dreaming. I thanked God so much for answering all the prayers that were said for me and for giving me this opportunity.

I still have a long road ahead of me and there are absolutely no guarantees of anything. But I am going to try my hardest to make our dreams come true. I am so very thankful and humbled by everyone in my life (online and in person) who have reached out to me and helped me more than they will ever know.

Please continue to keep me in your prayers, I hope there is a miracle in the making. I am on a short timeline and I should have a better idea after seeing the fertility doctor again soon. (I think the meds have to be out of my system 30 days but I don't recall exactly.)

Sorry for the long post, I didn't want to leave a word out in case this and my other posts ever help someone else. I hope you are all doing well and please know I think of you all often. Your prayers and healing messages changed my life and today is living proof of that.

I am by no means cured of cancer, in case anyone just diagnosed finds this thread by googling or whatever. The only thing that happened is the medicine counteracted the hormones and, in my fancy medical terms, chased the cancer cells down and ate them. So, slowly but surely, since I am no longer taking the hormones, the cancer will slowly grow back and there is no way to know how fast or slow that could happen which is why time is of the essence to get pregnant now. When/if I get pregnant, my body will naturally make huge doses of that missing hormone and actually protect me from the cancer during pregnancy. I will have to have a hysterectomy within a few months or after pregnancy no matter what due to the cancer risk. I can't grasp how remarkable our bodies are.

Thank you again.
    emeraldisle624

Here is a link that might be useful: Just a quick update!

• betsyhac
    11 years ago

Thank you Rose Lover for adding to this thread. I may have otherwise missed this.

EI,
    When I read "FERTILITY SPECIALIST," I started to cry. I'm so happy for you. I'll keep praying and send good thoughts. Thank you for continuing to share you story. Truly a miracle.

• donnamp14
    11 years ago

Thank you so very much for this wonderful update. I am sitting here with tears of joy for you! And I will continue to pray for you.
    -Donna

• tessaD
    11 years ago

Your latest update is wonderful news! You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

• theroselvr
    11 years ago

Do you know what determines chemo verses hysterectomy? Just curious.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all so much! I feel so very blessed but still have a long road ahead of me. I am just thankful to have this chance to try for a baby. I told my husband there is a possiblity that we could end up with triplets using fertility drugs and his response was "Fine with me!". Now that made me cry with happiness. :) He'd be such a good dad, I hope I can do this for him and for us. Tonight is a bittersweet Valentine's Day. So much to celebrate but also trying to keep things in perspective. I tend to get carried away with excitement or worrying. Tonight is all excitement (and here I am on gardenweb, real romantic!).

Roslvr--as far as I know, a hysterectomy is the one and only cure for endometrial cancer. I know I have no other option, I will have a hysterectomy either in a few months or after giving birth. The cancer cannot be staged until the hysterectomy and at that time, it is determined what treatment is required then (radiation, chemo, etc). Any grading done prior to the hysterectomy is strictly a guess, based on my understanding. This is what makes it so scary, there is no way to know until it's all done.

• Arhsub
    10 years ago

Hello Everyone!

My name is Arhsub. I am new to this forum and just want to say thanks to the Admin for accepting me here. I hope to spend a good time with all of you. Thank you.