SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hazelnutbunny

NEW: Adopt a Newbie Seed exchange!

hazelnutbunny
16 years ago

I have noticed several newbies, and I wanted to get something started for them. We are at a great time for harvesting seeds, and I would like to share some of our bounty with those who could really use them!

Here are the rules:

Newbies:

1) You MUST be a newbie (membership a month old or less)

2) You must be in NEED of seeds (meaning you have VERY few)

3) Post a list of things you'd like here, and the "oldies" will try to meet your requests!

4) Be polite! Remember to THANK those that are generous enough to share with you! A nice card (snail mail!) is always appreciated, and only costs you a few cents! :O)

Oldies:

1) Please send me a list of seeds you'd like to share with your assigned Newbie.

2) Please have the seeds sent out within 2 weeks of partners being assigned.

3) Please be generous, and give as many seeds as you can. Remember, we were ALL newbies at one point!! :O)

This swap will be open until July 20th. I will assign a Newbie to each Oldie at that time.

SO....Let's have fun...and WELCOME THOSE NEWBIES!!!!!!!! :O)

Comments (129)

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

Thank you Fishymamas

Trina

• taz74
    16 years ago

I am a newbie too and am so excited about this forum! I only have a few things to share at this point but would love anything that would thrive in zone 6. I have some money plant seed (honesty) and will have several varieties of sunflowers a little later.

An "oldie" wannabe

• Related Discussions

Adopt-A-Newbie: Veterans & Newbies Look Here

Q

Comments (3)
    Opps I spelled it wrong -- BEAP Bubble Envelope And Postage (Since you don't actually adhere the stamps and put the whole thing inside another envelope like a "normal" SASE. I can't remember who cooked it up, but it's a nice clarification for newbies. I sent my first SABSE inside another envelope myself.....)
    ...See More

Recruiting sponsors: Adopt-A-Newbie on Seed Exchange

Q

Comments (3)
    Carlyltoo, Thanks! :) yay! Keep 'em coming! --Tina This post was edited by kilngod on Sun, Apr 20, 14 at 17:01
    ...See More

NEW: 2nd Annual 'Adopt a Newbie' Swap!

Q

Comments (150)
    Hi everyone. Peppers: Leave them alone. I used to hve trouble with them too and then last year I planted a zillion b/c I always have so much trouble with bell peppers. Well, I did not amend the soil this year and I really did not water as often. I think the biggie is that before I treated them like my tomatoes. I watered the same and fed the same. Last year it dawned on me that these are a southwest native. In other words, they LIKE a lot of heat and can be on the dry side. Let them be. Esp. if you are getting lots of lush foliage but not fruit. This means you are feeding too much or the bed is too rich. This was m exp. last year and when I planted zillions, I did not need that many. I still have baggies in the freezer of them. Carrots. I have trouble with them too. I can gro beats and radishes like a magazine picture. But for some reason my carrots don't tend to do much of anything. Last year I actually had long skinny root but they did not grow like supposed to. But that was better than previous years when they sprouted nd then went kaput.
    ...See More

NEW: Newbie seed exchange

Q

Comments (75)
    Hi Diene and everyone, Thanks so much for all the love and effort that has gone into the harvesting, packaging and shipping of the seeds. You are a super bunch of gals. My daughter called last night and said that they had arrived. She was reading the names to me but I can hardly wait to get them into my own hands. I'll be back east to celebrate the Labor day weekend and to look at some possible homes.( Might even manage to squeeze in a day or two at the beach.) Having space for a garden and a few fruit trees in essential. I love traveling but seem to really "NEED" a garden. Thanks again hugs, BB
    ...See More
  • medontdo
    16 years ago

HNB count me in as an newbie!! LOL no but really, so sorry to hear bout your sister in law, we will pray for you! that's so sad! heck i didn't know about this!! i woulda joined earlier! tabor could be a newbie, LOL he's using my seeds, and helping me and learning, he can't join til he's 13 i think, at least at thegardenhelper he cant til then, he's only eleven, i have a bunch of seeds i'll never use.(already have it in my yard and don't want it!) and nobody seems to want them so its no fun to trade with! LOL :'))

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Medont - You can still join! The oldies are just sending their seeds directly to me, so you can send what ever you'd like to pass on to a newbie!

Taz74- Please email me your mailing address.

• chrystallake_2007
    16 years ago

Taz--Im looking for white money plant. are yours white

• fishymamas
    16 years ago

Ok bagged and tagged the lot of them I'll be mailing out the bunch when I send out my mirth package.

• galium
    16 years ago

HNB-mailed my seeds off to you today.
    Mariann

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I received stamps today from:
    chopperthedog
    kandituft
    headeranderson
    kasurit
    mtapa
    sar710
    kristlindren
    distantkin
    aggscott

Also, I received some great seeds!
    Here's what we've got so far:
    From Naplesgarden:
    36 packs in all, including
    amaranthus
    cardinal vine
    salvia
    sweet pea
    feverfew
    marigold
    zinnia
    dutchmans pipe
    cleome
    green flower tobacco
    mexican bird of paradise
    white cotton
    morning glory
    gold alyssum
    moon flower

From Nuthatch:
    25 packs, including
    moonflower
    cuphea miniata
    salvia
    pansy
    penstemon hartwegii
    lions tail
    stella d'oro day lily
    petunia
    morning glory
    cosmos
    mina lobata
    godetia
    butterfly garden mix
    cypress vine
    chinese lantern
    cleome
    birdhouse gourds
    sweet pea
    columbine

From chyrstallake
    75 packs, including
    moonflower
    poppy mix
    cucumber
    butternut squash
    heirloom flower mix
    bachelor buttons
    zinnia mix
    pincushion flower
    purple crown vetch
    purple cone flower
    purple smoke bush
    birdhouse gourds
    mammouth sunflower
    astilbe

What a WONDERFUL mix of flowers!!! Thanks to everyone, newbies and oldies!!!
    I will continue to post when I have received stamps/seeds..so that everyone will stay updated! :O)

• laurieanngarris
    16 years ago

HNB....

I am putting my seeds in the mail tomorrow.

Laurie

• thegardengeeks
    16 years ago

I just wanted to thank the oldies-you are helping me feed my new found addiction!! I can not wait to get the seeds in the ground!! (pssstttt.....now can anyone tell me how to make Spring get here tomorrow? :o) LOL) Thanks so much again! It is so appreciated!

• taz74
    16 years ago

These seeds are from the white dried flower and quite honestly, I'm assuming the bloom was white and not the purple. The dried coins are definitely white and transparent and the dried arrangements these came from are gorgeous

• diene
    16 years ago

Hello HNB:
    I mailed my seeds today. Thanks for handling all the mailing. diene

• dirt_under_my_nails
    16 years ago

HNB my seeds & I are flying out tomorrow. Don't have too much fun till I return!

• medontdo
    16 years ago

have fun dirt!!! we are mailing tomarrow.i think you will like them, maybe. LOL

• yellowseashell
    16 years ago

I seem to have missed getting the mail address to send the stamps to. Could someone please resend it. Thanks

• chrystallake_2007
    16 years ago

Taz please email me when you can.
    Melanie

• poisondartfrog
    16 years ago

Melanie and Taz,
    Just as an FYI the "money" on a Lunaria is the seed pod, not the flower, which it does not resemble at all.
    I have the white flowered Lunaria with white variegated foliage and the seed pod is exactly the same as my purple ones. Sorry-I don't think I have any seeds left, but I may have some plants this fall.
    Alana

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Everyone...

I received stamps from Jcadet today. (thanks John!!) :O)

So far, these have sent stamps:

pixiesluvplants
    italysmom
    chopperthedog
    kandituft
    headeranderson
    kasurit
    mtapa
    sar710
    kristlindren
    distantkin
    aggscott
    jcadet

These have sent seeds:

naplesgarden
    nuthatch
    chrystallake

Thanks to everyone!!

• missys23
    16 years ago

Hazelnutbunny- You should be getting my stamps soon. They were sent out yesterday.

Thank you again everyone for being so kind and sharing with us new ones.

• yellowseashell
    16 years ago

I got the address and the stamps went out today. Thanks.

• laurieanngarris
    16 years ago

HNB....

My seeds went out to you today.

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

First of all, I want to Welcome the Newbies! I hope that you have found this group to be friendly and helpful!

Having said that.... I want to make ABSOLUTELY clear that this swap is for GARDEN WEB MEMBERS ONLY.
    I have had several emails from people that are NOT members giving me their address, and wanting my address because someone in the swap told them they could get free seeds from me.

I am not trying to be mean..but the point of this swap is to help out the NEW MEMBERS of GW and give them something to get going with. I know how difficult it can be to get started, and I simply wanted to help with that.

So please, I'm asking that you don't abuse this swap. Please do NOT give out information to non members.

Let's keep this fun, and WITHIN Garden Web...so that maybe we can do this in the future.

Thank you!!!
    Melissa

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

Hi Melissa and all,

Thank you all for doing what you are doing for us newbies. I hope next time I will be an "oldie" and can help newbies out the way ya'll are doing for us now. I really appreciate all the love and hard work ya'll are putting into this.

Thanks
    Trina (pixie)

• medontdo
    16 years ago

mine went out today, and then we get assigned a partner right??

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Medont- The rules changed a bit! There won't be partners, I will be sending the seeds out directly to the newbies once I receive everyone's stamps and seeds.

EVERYONE: Please have stamps and seeds mailed out by the 20th. I would like to try to have seeds sent out to the newbies by Aug. 1st.

Thanks!!

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Today I received seeds from Poisondartfrog & jackier123.

Included were:
    hollyhock
    iris
    zinnia
    different herbs
    different veggies
    malva
    sweet william
    bishops flower
    celosia
    marigold
    hibiscus
    datura
    lantana
    shoofly
    daisies
    butterfly bush
    foxglove

Well over 200 packs together!!
    WAY to many to name individually!!
    Very AWESOME mix of seeds, ladies!
    Thanks so much!!!

Our Newbies are gonna love 'em!! :O)

• letha1971
    16 years ago

I've been out of the picture for a few days.Can someone send the address I need to send my stamps to.Thanks so much,Letha

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Letha - I sent you an email. Please let me know if you didn't get it.

And we have about 300 seed packs now, which makes it equal to about 15 per newbie, at this point. We have a great mix, lots of flowers with some veggies and herbs. I think everyone will be pleased with the selection they will receive! :O)

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have received yet another email, from someone who is NOT a gw member, wanting me to send them FREE SEEDS. They received my mailing address & email address from someone in the group, and were told that I would send them whatever seeds they wanted. (they requested a very specific type of seed, also)

PLEASE DO NOT give my info out to ANYONE! I am very frustrated by this, because I honestly just wanted to help everyone out.
    I know that my email is public. This is done purposely, because GW's messaging system does not work reliably, and I need to be able to communicate with those involved with the swap.
    But my personal MAILING address is not...and I would really like to keep it that way.

Please PLEASE be considerate.

I know that 99% of the people involved with this swap are GREAT PEOPLE, super friendly..and I"m happy to have the chance to meet & talk to everyone. I am absolutely THRILLED to be able to do this swap. I love being part of GW, and that's why this is bothering me so much.

Thank you!! :O)
    Melissa

• letha1971
    16 years ago

Melissa, Got your e-mail.Thanks again for doing this.I'm very grateful to you and everyone involved. I'm so excited and glad you contacted me!!! Letha

• chrystallake_2007
    16 years ago

Mellissa I have not told anyone other than the 2 newbies I told you about. So they had better not be using my name.

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Melanie- They are not using you as a "reference". Trust me, I'd let ya know about it! :O)

I'm wanting to think that this was an honest mistake, and that someone thought they could help out a friend/neighbor..whatever... by getting them some free seeds.
    I probably just didn't make the rules clear enough.

• playsndurt
    16 years ago

Melissa,

Did you get the email I sent you yesterday?

Lisa

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Lisa - I don't think I have gotten an email from you. Please resend it! :O)

• playsndurt
    16 years ago

OK.. I resent it.
    Thanks
    lisa

• karenh71867
    16 years ago

Hi HNB, my seeds went out this morning. Thanks for hosting this for the newbies!

• playsndurt
    16 years ago

I would love to join as a newbie. Thanks so much.

Lisa

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi All!

I received stamps today from
    Justin
    missys23
    yellowseashel

I also received seeds today from
    galium
    medontdo
    laurie
    kalena (?)

There are so many seeds, that I cannot even begin to list them!
    A great mix of veggies, succulents, flowers...perennials & annuals...Just so many great ones!!
    I think we are only waiting on a handful of oldies to send, and about 5 newbies.

PLEASE HAVE EVERYTHING SENT OUT BY FRIDAY the 20th! :O) If you can not make that mailing date, please email me and let me know.

THANKS to all!! :O)

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Correction: I received seeds from DIENE today, not Kalena.

• chrystallake_2007
    16 years ago

HNB
    You are doing a great job.

• medontdo
    16 years ago

ya!! especially for one person!! i know i could not do that!! you are an awesome woman!!! :")) as my son say's " you are the bomb" LOL and of course he announciates every syllable!! LOL you ought to pat yourself on the back!!!

• happy_gardener181
    16 years ago

Hello, i am a newbie too.. i am an asian and just recently grew a passion in gardening. i would love to receive some perennial flowering seeds that thrives in full sun & shade esp daylily, coneflower & few heirloom vegetables.
    Thank you!

Bel

• smh78
    16 years ago

Hi! I sent out my stamps today. Thanks again for everything!

Sarah
    smh78

• aggscott
    16 years ago

Oh I am so excited about this swap, I can not wait to see what I get..Oh and HazelNutBunny, your doing a great job! Thank you for all that you have done and continue to do:))

When you have another swap in the future the newbie's this time could be the oldies next time. I know I would be more than willing to share what I have(when I get a little collection going:)

thanks again! It is appreicated!!

Aggie

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Everyone!! Hope everyone is having a great Friday!
    I received seeds today from Dirt_under_my_nails.
    Thanks, April! Awesome mix of seeds!

I also received stamps today from:
    Letha1971
    proudgm_03
    cottageflowers

Thanks Ladies!!! :O)

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Okay, we are going to close out this thread and start a new one.

Today is the deadline for the swap, so there will be NO MORE SIGN UPS!

• peachie-q
    16 years ago

Sorry that I've been out of touch! I was waiting for someone to e-mail me that they were my newbie! Melissa, what's your mailing address so I can get my seeds sent out to you? Thanks!

• stormy8888
    16 years ago

hi veryone , i am a newbie , just joined today !! and i have been reading some really intresting stuff, i think i will like it here , but unfortunatly i have very few seeds ,i would love to recieve some and share , i have a handful of sunflowers & some lavender seeds maybe 3 packets of 25-50 seeds to swap , if that helps , i put all my hard work into a garden this year, just waiting for some goodies to come up !!!!
    and i love tips and helpful hints for i love to garden & i am a crafter ....bearbeard@comcast.net

• deepnshallow
    15 years ago

Hey! I recently joined GW and am totally new to gardening.. Is this thread still active?

• micrazy
    15 years ago

Hi! I am a newbie to the forum, and am SO excited to have an information website such as this!! I have been gardening for 15 years or so- but it's all been trial and error. I would love some seeds- any low care perennials or really good tomato seeds. Next year- I would love to do my entire veggie garden from seeds.
    My favorite plants are shady perennials, veggies, and we also dabble with some tropicals that we dig up every year and replant every spring- such as bananas, etc. Looking forward to getting to know alot of you. Best of gardening season to you'all. email address- beachcoby@yahoo.com Thanks SO much for this thread!!