SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ntl1991

Helping Parents with Excessive Oil Consumption

ntl1991
13 years ago

Hello. I'm trying to help my parents out with their heating system. They've been blowing through heating oil for some time now, and I'd like to find out why, and fix the problem once and for all.

They have a 2,134 square foot 2-story home here in Rhode Island. Their heating system is hot water with fin-tubed baseboards. When they purchased their home in the mid-1960's (the house was built in 1820), it was completely gutted, renovated, and insulated to the standards then. The only thing kept were the 4 exterior walls.

The first floor, about 900 square feet is on zone 1, the second floor, again, 900 square feet, is on zone 2, and their 29'x14' year-round attached patio room is on zone 3.

Their domestic hot water was supplied (until about October last year) through a hot water coil in the furnace. Now, they have a Boilermate hot water storage tank.

I've been helping out with their oil bills for a while now, and they burn about 150-175 gallons of #2 heating oil every month during the heating season. Every zone has a programmable thermostat. Zone 1, and Zone 3, the 1st floor and patio room, are kept at 68 degrees at night. The 2nd floor (Zone 2) is kept at 60 degrees, and almost never calls for heat. (They don't like warm bedrooms).

They said that they never had a problem with the old cast-iron boiler burning this much oil. The boiler sprung a leak about 12 years ago, and my brother, a burner servicer and boiler installer, replaced it with a new stainless steel boiler (apparently he claims it only holds about 7 gallons of oil).

They had a problem with their hot water. When you would open the faucet in the basement (or any hot fixture in the house), the burner would immediately kick on, run for about 5 minutes, and kick off. This would occur in the summertime too. My father would complain that in order to take a hot shower, he would have to turn up the temperature on a thermostat. If not, the shower would be boiling hot one minute and ice cold another. This tank solved most of their problems with hot water not kicking the boiler on, but the problem is that the tank gives off it's heat rapidly in the cold, unfinished basement, which kicks on the boiler to heat the water in the tank. All year round.

I did a quick heat loss calculation on their house, and assuming they have even very modest insulation (which they do), the total heat loss was a little less than 60,000 BTU/HR. I haven't checked the size of their boiler, but I wouldn't be surprised it was near 150K BTU/HR. My brother didn't install the boiler, and I have no idea as to how whoever installed it came up with the sizing.

Also, it should be noted that a Beckett Heat Manager Fuel Economizer has been installed for about a year and a half, and I'm really not sure if it's helping any with the fuel consumption.

The house gets toasty warm, has enough radiant area for the amount of heat loss in each room, and is insulated. I just don't know why they have been burning so much oil with this new boiler. I've been thinking about getting rid of the storage tank and DHW coil, and replacing it with a gas water heater, to allow them to convert the boiler to cold-start and save fuel during the summertime. Is this a good idea?

And help or guidance would certainly be appreciated.

Nick

Comments (14)