SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
misplacedtxgal

Please post pics of natural unstained walnut floors :)

misplacedtxgal
9 years ago

Hi Garden Web friends,

I haven't been on in quite a while. House has taken a backseat to life for a while. We recently, however, redid our front yard/porch. The deal was I would allow all the walnut trees to be cut down IF I could make them into flooring. Well, DH agreed and now that the flooring is about to be milled he says he doesn't like walnut floors! Holy cow! What am I going to do? He wants to sell it and get oak. Our home is a very traditional southern plantation style. The flooring will go in my formal dining and formal living rooms. I've waited 20 years to get rid of the existing carpet in these rooms. Living room has mahogany furniture; dining room has quartersawn oak antique furniture. Floors would be finished on site. I've talked to three different people - all of whom said they've never stained a walnut floor.

I would give in and trade for the oak my kids no grown up playing in and around these trees. It holds special memories for me at least!

The other decision is width. The guy making the flooring says I will get less waste and more sq. ft. if I go with varying widths - 3", 4" and 5".

Please post pics and opinions! Thanks!

PS I'm going to cross-post this in the Kitchen forum as I need to make a decision ASAP and know it gets a lot of traffic!

Comments (7)